1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] New natural wonder?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Tech Osen, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Warlord

Sorry, forgot to take picture or to write down the name. :blush:
    But I had a natural wonder yesterday. Three tiles long mountain range with colorful stripes on it. Gave +2 great general and great merchant points when at least one part was within your territory. I never seen or even heard of that one before.

2. Ashandalar

Ashandalar Chieftain

Zhangye Danxia was added in R&F.

3. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Warlord

What are the odds of that not showing up before in all the games that I played...

4. SxSnts9

SxSnts9 Chieftain

Yes, I've only had it show up once in my games as well.

5. Sekou

Sekou Chieftain

And it is a seriously gorgeous rock formation at that .

6. jddods

jddods Chieftain

had it at least twice maybe three times

7. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Warlord

Took a look at the list of natural wonders for Civ 6, this was the only one I had never seen before. All the others multiple times, weird.

8. kaspergm

kaspergm Warlord

Get the Terra Mirabilis mod. :love:

9. jddods

jddods Chieftain

They seem to come in runs. You get game after game the same ones seem to pop up.

10. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Warlord

This applies to Natural Wonders and other Civs: I will get a run of the same 3 - 4 Natural Wonders showing up game after game, and the same 1- 2 Civs showing up for game after game, regardless of what Civ I am playing or what kind of map I'm playing on.

Then for reasons unknown, the 'string' breaks and I won't see any of the Civs or Wonders for a dozen games or more.

However, I also note that the Zhangye Danxia is probably one of the, if not the rarest Natural Wonders; I've seen it in less than 10% of all the games Ive played long enough to see the entire map, and I play on Large Maps so one would expect to see it, on average, much more often. . .

11. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Warlord

Maybe the map generator has a hard time placing it because of its unusual lenght?

12. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Warlord

Count me as someone who never knew it was in the game either. I’ve never seen it though I don’t play as much as many others seem to do.

13. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Sometimes I wonder if some of them are weighted to appear more that others.

I love the Lygefjord, but I so rarely see it.

14. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

I know nothing about how the maps are generated, but I wouldn't be surprised if that had something to do with it. I think I've seen it twice, but both times on the other side of the world from my starting place.

15. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

My very first RnF game, playing as Mapuche, it was directly between my capital and Canberra. The Aussies were not long for that world.

It was very nice to line up Camemulls around it.

16. Forster

Forster Chieftain

I seem to get Roraima a lot and Lysefjord quite often. I was surprised to see that they seem rare for you.

17. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

I had a run of three games where this wonder appeared within about 6-8 tiles of my capital.

18. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Warlord

I suspect, given that our collective experiences seem to be, literally, 'all over the map', someone is going to have to go into the Game Files/Code and see how the frequency is coded for all the Natural Wonders, and then see how various sizes of map and types of map (island, continent, pangaea. etc) affect that placement.

Just for instance, it occurs to me that selecting a 'New' world with more hills and mountains is going to have a dramatic effect on how often it is possible to get any number of 'mountainous' Wonders, and a Cold, Wet map is going to have problems finding sites for any of the desert Wonders, but I have no idea what the percentages might be.

19. pokiehl

pokiehl Chieftain

Nothing in the Lua functions for Natural Wonder placement nor the database indicate differing frequencies for them. It's just pure chance, as best I can tell.

20. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

Yeah, I think it's just a product of players experiencing a Small Sample Size