1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] New Natural Wonders in Gathering Storm

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Laurana Kanan, Nov 23, 2018.

1. roulev

roulev Chieftain

Somewhat related to the theme of flooding and sea level, Funday Bay and the Hopewell Rocks. It a series of pillars of rock that are flooded at high tides. They could do some animation with these I think.
    Spoiler :
    Fundy Bay Rocks.JPG

bite, Guandao, TahamiTsunami and 4 others like this.
  2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Fear not. @sukritact made a kick ass Grand Canyon natural wonder mod.

Sostratus, Hawke9, bite and 1 other person like this.
  3. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Emperor

4. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Oh, yes! These are so cool - I've walked among them. You only get a few hours at a time at low tide to explore. If they could animate it, that would be really sweet!

5. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am.

At first glance I read "Mayan" not Mayon and my first thought, even though it's too far to the west, was Popocatépetl since it erupted recently. But, I agree that with Vesuvius included I think there are plenty of NW volcanoes (plus there's Sukritact's Fuji + Terra Mirabilis's Krakatoa).

Speaking of the Maya, even though it looks like they won't be in the XP, I think having a cenote NW would be cool. I went to Chichén Itzá a few years back on a vacation and visited the Sacred Cenote, which was stunning. The Cenote @ Ik Kil would also be a good candidate.
    Spoiler :

Zaarin likes this.
  6. Phrozen

Phrozen King

Besides Niagra

Lookout Mountain, TN
    Natural Bridge, VA
    Luray Caverns
    Shenandoah Valley
    Atchafalaya Swamp and Bayou
    Mississippi Delta
    Florida Keys
    Chimney Rock

Inawordyes, bbbt, Guandao and 2 others like this.
  7. Eagle Pursuit

I wouldn't put it past Firaxis to put Chesapeake Bay (right in their own backyards) in as a Natural Wonder with ultra-high Food yields like Lake Victoria was in Civ V.

Inawordyes, bite, Guandao and 3 others like this.
  8. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

How about Lake Erie?
    Only for the reason that they are introducing canals, maybe they can make it big enough that naval units could enter on it.
    I agree that Old Faithful could work for another one out west, as opposed to the whole Yellowstone Park.

bite likes this.
  9. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

Have the great lakes ever been a natural wonder in one of the Civ games? Lake Superior would make a great natural wonder.

10. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

If not to say, a superior natural wonder. :crazyeye:

Trav'ling Canuck likes this.
  11. HoorayForSiam

HoorayForSiam Chieftain

Obviously, Coachella Valley will be added as a natural wonder and grant you the unique luxuries of Flower Crowns and Red Bulls.

12. Phrozen

Phrozen King

It would be a natural wonder full of crabs. Oysters and mussels are also a major food source from there but they don't have that as a resource. It would be better if they had navigable rivers though. That is why the Chesapeake is and was so important. It is a huge natural harbor and the rivers flowing into it are fully navigable including by aircraft carriers for some ways up river.

13. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

I suppose now that we have multi-tile Wonders, that would be feasible.

Seems more like the name the Cree would give for one of their lakes. At least, once lakes get names.

14. kryat

kryat King

I think the mountain on the right of Vesuvius is Kilimanjaro.

15. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

If Lake Erie were a natural wonder, it would be interesting to place a water park next to it. After all, Cedar Point juts into Lake Erie.

16. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

Kilimanjaro is already in the game. The volcano next to Vesuvius is the generic version: it looks identical to the one from the stream that got labeled "Mount Paektu" (which, I believe, ought to be Mount Baekdu according to modern Romanization practices, but...).

17. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Moderator

My one hope (and I sneakily hinted it in my full world map) is that they expand The Great Barrier Reef to more than two tiles since it stretches all the way down the Queensland coast

For example:

Ha Long Bay (2 tile) is: 334 km
    Great Barrier Reef (2 tile) is: 2,300km

Kjimmet, WillowBrook and Zaarin like this.
  18. bbbt

bbbt Deity

West coast of the US definitely has the majority of stand out features, but there are 'East of the Rockies' things I'd say could be natural wonders: Everglades and Niagara as mentioned. Lake Superior and Mammoth Caves as the largest of their respective kinds in the world (the same reason I'd put something like Lake Baikal in). Pictured Rocks (on the shore of Lake Superior) is also a candidate with it's sandstone cliffs on the shore.

There are also plenty of places that I find beautiful personally though I wouldn't qualify as 'natural wonders'. The great lakes/Michigan UP, boundary waters, lots of mountain areas that are fun to explore if not on the same level as out west: Adirondacks, White Mountains, Ozarks, Shenandoah. Big Bend Area of Texas. I love the Everglades, and some of southern bayous with their trees full of Spanish Moss as well. At lot of nice coasts (though I'm more partial to the rocky Maine shores than Florida beaches). Architecturally, from the quaint New England fishing villages (turned upscale tourist destinations) to the "let me not think about how many slave died building this" Plantations/house in spots like Savannah and New Orleans to some of the Skyscrapers of Chicago (the only ones I find aesthetically pleasing for some reason).

Having said all that, I just recently moved out west primarily for the change of scenery and its more 'monumental' features.

But I digress, and honestly the US is already well-represented in it's natural wonders, even if I'm a little dubious of some of their choices. I.e. Delicate Arch is pretty stunning in context, but it's basically the size of a large house and a lot of it's impact comes from it's 'perched on a cliff' location. Seeing in appear in Civ in the middle of the flat desert the same size of a mountain is a lit disconcerting (even if the scale issues of the game have already been well discussed).

WillowBrook and Zaarin like this.
  19. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

I hate the beach, but if I must have a beach then rocky cliff-lined shores like the PNW or portions of the British Isles are my preference, followed by Maine-style pebble beaches. I hate sand with a burning a passion. :p I can't think of many places more ill-suited for me than Florida: I hate the heat, I hate the flat, I hate the beach, and I have a sun allergy. :p Oh, and the people here are so normal. :p

Kjimmet, Eagle Pursuit and Kimiimaro like this.
  20. Eagle Pursuit

Thanks, I just had an Attack of the Clones flaskback.