New Natural Wonders

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by turingmachine, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Tatran

Tatran Deity

This is not done when designing a game.

Spoiler :

2. Celevin

Celevin King

That's nothing like the Fountain of Youth's healing ability.

Secondly, everyone gets a UA. That's not a big deal. The Fountain of Youth gives you a chance to get a *second* game changing UA on top of 10 (!!!) happiness. If you get that near the beginning of the game, it is too much of a boost. I have a hard time thinking about how you would lose with a bonus like that.

3. Babri

Babri Emperor

Hopefully they'll balance it up. Personally I've started believing that they do such things to make people buy more DLCs. First time they did that with Babylon UA.

4. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

Why don't we all agree the new natural wonders need to be nerfed, and leave it at that?

5. turingmachine

turingmachine Emperor

Yeah, but the new NW weren't part of the DLC (though obviously designed for it). They were included for free in the last patch.

6. Androrc the Orc

Androrc the Orc Emperor

Please enlighten a Civ4er... There it says: "Terrain: Cerro de Potosi". Did they do away with features and etc. in Civ5? Now hills and such are terrain again?

7. joyous_gard

joyous_gard Prince

Natural wonders are treated as mountains by the game... that is incorrect. I can't see over Barrier Reef? I can build Macchu Picchu on Old Faithful? I can build observatory on Barringer Crater? That bug should get worked out.

8. Sneaks

Sneaks Brooklyn Bum

I am too lazy to check right now, but I am pretty sure they are not counted as mountains. However, when placing the NWs, certain ones can only be placed on mountain tiles. They all also receive the impassible flag.

9. ChaplainDMK

ChaplainDMK Warlord

Well El Dorado kinda works, but Fountain of Youth is totaly off...

10. bryanw1995

bryanw1995 Emperor

finally got FOY in a game. probably about my 10th post-patch game so the math works out. it really is strong, but I also got cerro de potosi. literally, #2 city was cerro, used gold from #2 to build a settler for foy. the ai never stood a chance. game has been lots of fun, however.

11. mitrydates

mitrydates Chieftain

I thought it 's some kind of bug having FoY and ElD :crazyeye: in the game because I don't have Spain/Inca DLC. After I read all this thread I realized it was not. Bad.

I'm really disappointed. I'd be happier it could be turned off in the menu.

And the devs said people didn't like special events in Civ IV (which I really loved)! Come on! Fantasy things are much worse!

12. HorribleHarald

HorribleHarald Warlord

Mythical natural wonders are like they would add Dragon Rider Unit in the game. I don't like it, is there anymore good natural wonders they could add? Have they heard about Grand Canyon or Victoria Falls or Table Mountain, I just ask.

13. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

Table Mountain = Grand Mesa
    Grand Canyon - Too many North America Natural Wonders as is.
    Victoria Falls - Fair enough.

I'd also like to see the Pink & White Terraces make an appearance.

14. arkguy

arkguy Warlord

I think they are a nice addition, the bonus in particular. They add spice, variation and a touch of imagination to the game. While they may seem silly to us today, at one time they were believed to be as real as the things we think are real today. A couple of hundred years from now some of them will probably seem just as silly to future generations.
    Scientist and archeologist are proving more and more that some of the myths of old actually had they roots based in reality and the places of mythology once thought to be imaginary were in fact real even though their effect were not. They exist in mythology only because their locations are lost in time and we haven’t found them yet. It is how they explained things they didn’t comprehend or had no reasonable explanation for. The Gates of Hell recently found by Archeologists is a good example of a mythical place that turned out to be real. The place was real, the effect real and the belief real until a natural explanation for why it occurred was discovered to replace the belief that was off. If you are looking for historical accuracy then these are part of the history of Civilization as they were real beliefs that were part of the past even though modern science has found much better explanation or disprove them.

15. Carmack

Carmack Chieftain

I don't see a problem with the way they are because I hardly ever see them. Out of all my games so far (since January 2013) I have only seen the Fountain of Youth twice and El Dorado twice, one El Dorado appearance being in a city-state's borders. At least the new natural wonders have some pizzazz to them and aren't boring as hell, like Barringer Crater and Grand Mesa.

16. turingmachine

turingmachine Emperor

Wow, way to necro a thread, and having a wonder being super rare doesn't balance the wonder, it just serves to make them ruin less games, but they do still ruin the games they're in.