New Natural Wonders

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by turingmachine, Dec 15, 2010.

1. charon2112

charon2112 King

Forgive me as I haven't read through all eight pages of this thread, but have they re-done the effect of all of the natural wonders? Because that would be awesome. As they were, NW were very one-note.

2. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

Duh- i want me a map with some real workable tiles & relatively big areas worth exploring... not a plastered allover Circus or entry_fees Theme Park(s) for Joe_Schmoes' latest express vacationing in Vegas.
    :D

3. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

Yep, here's a small comprehensive list. From 0F-2P-3G to...

Krakatoa; 5S
    Mt Fuji; 1G-5C
    Rock of Gibraltar; 2F-5G
    Grand Mesa; 2P-3G
    Old Faithfull; 3S-3H
    Barringer Crater; 2G-3S
    Great Barrier Reef; 2F-1P-1G-2S

+++
    Fountain of Youth; 10H (Permanent healing promotion trick)
    El Dorado; 5C (500G to first discoverer)
    Cerro de Potosi; 10G

Superb thinking -- overall in general!

4. charon2112

charon2112 King

That's very good news, I always thought the effect of national wonders was kind of pointless...

5. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

I agree with both of you. I have always loved the thrill and micromanagement of exploration. Goes back to my years of playing CNW.

6. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

Don't you see, THIS is exactly what they intend? Follow an unconfirmed rumor and chasing a mythical place all around the world? A rumor, that most of the times will shape as totally empty, as the wonders ARE very rare?

That is, what El Dorado and the Fountain of Youth where in history and it seems, it works quite well in CivV, too.

Overpowered or not - I think, THIS aspect of these "fantasy wonders" is quite fun! (And VERY historical).

7. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

Much of 16th Century explorations in North America were exactly that (chasing after rumors). Since you don't know your new land, why can't most of your exploration be doing exactly that?

8. charon2112

charon2112 King

I genuinely don't mind if a couple of legendary wonders are added, like the fountain of youth or El Dorado. Because the legend of these things is part of human history whether they remain "found" or not. They were sought after by the world's rulers at great cost, so why not include them?

9. Escalate

Escalate Chieftain

I don't mind really if they add some historically-relate legend wonder stuff.

But I'm still waiting "My little pony paradise castle wonder" and "Flutter pony's mystical garden wonder" to be add though. Keep it up Firaxis!!! :goodjob:

10. charon2112

charon2112 King

C'mon now...since when did Spain send conquistadors to fight and die in search of either of those. :) At least they're sticking to real pieces of history.

11. Celevin

Celevin King

I really don't care about the historical context either. But they are not balanced at all. The Fountain of Youth, on top of being completely overpowered at +10 happiness, gives an effect that is a must have if it's available. El Dorado at +500 discovery gold is not quite as powerful, but still dwarfs the other wonders and is completely game changing if you find it. Spain finding the latter early can turn the game on its head.

12. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

They seem a little too over-the-top. If it were changed to something like:
    El Dorado: 250 for first to find
    Fountain of Youth: 5 happiness, instantly heal any unit next to (so sort of like monuments in SMAC). Maybe even count it as a free weapons bonus like from a hut for the first unit to discover it too.

That would be a lot less game-changing. They'd still be worth looking for and grabbing, but wouldn't be so insane.

I loved the Fountain of Youth in Colonization - it was also so awesome to find it. I don't mind having it possibly in some games, but not if it completely unbalances the game.

13. TheArchduke

TheArchduke Feeling at home..

I think any further comment can be short.

El Dorado? Seriously the bonus is over the top. Dumb luck here I come.

14. civnoob13

civnoob13 King

How about this:

El Dorado:

250 gold for first find
    200 gold for second
    150 for third
    100 for fifth
    50 for sixth
    Revealed by 'X' technology (will never reveal less than three tiles to AI or player border)
    -5 happiness if lost
    lose 1 SP if lost

This makes the finding bonus less, make it require planning, have a race towards it (like liberalism in civ 4), and makes it very tempting to try and overtake to weaken the enemy and enhance yourself

Fountain of healing:
    New name is Niagra Falls
    +5 happiness if within borders
    -5 happiness if lost (happiness bonus lost too)
    Healing bonus lost if wonder is lost
    Maximum 5 units per civ can gain healing bonus
    If said unit dies it cannot be replaced, and causes a temporary -3 unhappiness.

15. CornPlanter

CornPlanter Emperor

Umm because they weren't ever found? And they weren't because they did not exist?

Why don't add elves and Gods for real, they are part of human history in the same sense.

16. charon2112

charon2112 King

Well, elves are just part of human fantasy fiction, so that's totally different. And as for gods, they did have religion in IV, and most people seemed to like that.

I don't know, it seems like the two that they picked are things that ancient rulers took very seriously, and searched for. And it just adds a little fun, I don't mind. I definitely think on the list of problems with Civ V, adding these two natural wonders are at the bottom.

17. FlyingDutchman7

FlyingDutchman7 Chieftain

I agree with charon2112: Those two are legendary and have been sought for for quite some centuries. Maybe they shouldn't have called them 'Natural' wonders, but oh well... I think the game is better with than without. However, I do feel it's a bit unbalanced indeed: the effect of El Dorado as well as the Fountain of Youth should be decreased by 50%. It is indeed a bit too much.
    I don't think civnoob's idea would work: if someone finds El Dorado he would for sure get all the money out of it, so the next one to find El Dorado wouldn't find any gold left.

18. No_such_reality

No_such_reality Chieftain

Cerro de Potosi,

Does that get market, bank and stock exchange bonuses? I forget, do those stack or add? So it's 25%, 25% & 33%. So either 19 gold per turn or 21 GPT.

Well El Dorado's 500G buff is nice, finding Cerro early and getting a market is 13GPT or roughly 3 research agreements and a settler in 100 turns.

19. civnoob13

civnoob13 King

@ flying dutchman 7

You could say the same thing about CSs. There may be left some of the tribe who control how much gold they give to people.

20. Slowpoke

Slowpoke The Mad Modder

Pretty much all percents add in Civ 5. so 6 gold with 3 +50%s would just be 15.