New NESes, ideas, development, etc

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by das, Jul 15, 2005.

1. jalapeno_dude

jalapeno_dude AKA Panda Judo Eel

Ah, but the fact that you were publishing in the early 80s puts a lower bound on your age...

2. Israelite9191

Israelite9191 You should be reading

This is true, I was considering making Ruthenia or Moldavia Eastern European. I should also say that the Cossack situation will change slightly with the next update anyway.....
    You do. Hungary has access to Central European, Western European, and Northern European mercenaries..
    This is interesting, but again I'm worried about allowing countries access to troops that they shouldn't. I don't want the Mongols purchasing Japanese Ninja.

3. North King

North King blech

Hmm. Perhaps something with more of a grey-scale than definitive regional boundaries is needed, then?

4. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

It would appear that this post is for my benefit.

The only thing that does not play in your favor is your [add adjective] effort to demean others. You could get away with all the rest of it if you were a bit nicer. It is only your . .. .. .. .. .ing and moaning about others that prompts me to say "Show us what you can do!"

You have called things as you see them. Most posters know how you feel about the rest of us. Do you think repetition will change us? I don't understand why you feel the need to say it over and over again.

We clash on a number of different levels, that makes working together more difficult, but I have never not supported your efforts even if I don't contribute to them. In fact my effort to get you to produce something is an encouragement of the change you seek. If you want more accurate combat resolution, then get us a working model to try out. That is how change comes about. If that is not how you work, then fine, just don't expect speedy change along the lines you want.

BTW, you know full well I support collaborative efforts here and have tried to involve the community in my ideas as I have them. I am not an advocate of "do it yourself".

You are mistaken if you think that people here do not contribute to solving problems or creating new approaches to NESing. They may not do it with the frequency you would like or in the manner you prefer, but they do contribute. look up the 80/20 rule.

And as for your last bit. I do try to come up with new ideas and solutions to problems. And I put them in my games to see if they actually work; then make them available for anyone to use in any way they want. In each game I work hard to find ways to make NESing better and raise the bar a little bit. My next one will be no different. By your standards it will be oversimplified and grossly ahistorical. I can't please everyone. In any case, I have not asked of you anything I am not willing to do myself. Clearly, though, what you choose to do is entirely up to you. And have you noticed that for all your "outspokenness" no one has asked you to leave? :)

5. Symphony D.

Symphony D. Deity

Retroactive deletion.

6. Israelite9191

Israelite9191 You should be reading

This is absolutely ridiculous. Just because you see faults in other people does not give you the right to excuse your own faults. You are rude, arrogant person and have acted as such for almsot as long as I can remember. Frankly, I think it's about time you owed up to that fact. Have you noticed that the everyone else in the NES forum gets along very well with only very rare, very occassional conflict? That's becuase most NESers: a) don't make it a point to be rude in the large majority of our posts and b) appologise for their transgressions. I'm sure that many people here would appreciate it if you took it upon yourself to respect the basic rules of human interaction as they all do.
    Many people, such as Dis and jalepeno, enjoy your rules. Even as much as I generally don't like them, I know I enjoy seeing what you come up with. The difference is that when people don't like your proposals, they will say so, often directly and bluntly, but without being rude, arrogant, dismissive, or offensive.
    Yet another incredibly arrogant and rude statement. You categorically condemn every member of the NESing community as being lazy and unwilling to be self-reflective. Have you ever thought that other people might just disagree with you? That other people are entitled to their opinions? That, now here's something, other people may be just as rational as you? If you disagree with us, fine, but the rudeness and arrogance are unnecessary. I respect your opinions and your intellect, so please, respect mine.
    How are people declaring themselves beyond criticism? Myself, and the vast majority of Mods in fact, take criticism readily and often do ammend their decisions. Further, your sarcasm and defensive attitude here are yet more examples of exactly the sort of rudeness that Bird was talking about.
    Just becuase you think that you have won the argument doesn't mean other people do. I personally have not found your arguments fully convincing, while you obviously think differently. I'm fine with that, and you ought to be, but you insist on making sure that there are no disenters, that everyone agree with your own view points. Further, just because you disagree with people does not give you the right to be condescending, arrogant, and rude towards them.
    I don't believe there is a more perfect example of the rude, arrogant, condescending sarcasm that Bird and myself have been talking about.

7. Symphony D.

Symphony D. Deity

Retroactive deletion.

8. Masada

Masada Koi-san!

Honestly, Symphony is in the right here.

Lets have a role-play, since the forum is all touchy, politically correct and ****.

Now we have the right idea, not only would our 'fictional' Symphony be expressing a personal opinion with a fair dose of partisanship but it would be adding nothing to the debate.

The Respondent would also be guilty of adding nothing to the debate and of willfully misinterpret the rule-set to boot. Ho-hum.

Now not to sound cynical... but would not the same hold true for you? After throwing out a one liner which was both rude, insensitive, entirely unwarranted and entirely unnecessary. Could that no be construed as arrogant and silly, 'I pronounce it so therefore it is!'

... still them and us! Your either with us [the old guard, reactionary, conservatives] or with the terrorists [those who do not tow the line]. No we cannot get over this as a community when people interject with nonsensical one liners and disingenuous three liners. You are free to express your personal preferences, but to claim the moral high ground in this debate is ridiculous.

Israelite9191 and Stormbringer you were both just playing to a confirmation bias you have of Symphony, you really had little ground to criticize. You two were both acting in exactly the way you projected onto Symphony, as partisan hacks.

Symphony is right on the money. You acted in a way that mis-characterized simulationism and to boot attacked him for taking you to task about it. For the champions of diversity your rather critical of anyone who does anything different or against the norms of the self appointed guardians of 'true' NESing.

Symphony is also right, you can't make issue of who he is, he's owned up to it, never denied it and if you don't realize that some things are sufficiently common in human nature such that they cannot constitute a surprise then meh!

9. silver 2039

silver 2039 Deity

GAHH!!! If they revolt I'll slaughter them all.

10. sp1023

sp1023 Deity

Isn't Cossack like a severe, scary, bald Russian person?

11. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

12. sp1023

sp1023 Deity

Are they bald? Because my parents were making fun of this bald uncle and calling him "a cossack"

13. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

I'm sure some were bald. Whether or not it's indicative of them, I don't know. Did you read the link?

14. jalapeno_dude

Given that this is the NES Development thread, I'll say that stKNES5 was useful because it proved once and for all the game-breaking possibilities of trade routes. The dominant strategy was to avoid wars simply because trade routes were just too powerful, being free to start and giving an economy every three turns. Given that stat increases were incredibly slow otherwise under Kamilian's rules, this was the only sane way to get a strong economy. I'm glad that these trade route rules, which used to be fairly common, have vanished.

15. Disenfrancised

Disenfrancised Beep Beep

Aye. *Shudders at the memory of the ITNES(ITs 1-3) trade centres giving a whole economy level every other turn*

16. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

The prefix 'St' was there for a reason Symphony- it was a creative engine with few limitations. Sure, it was unrealistic, but it was fun. My idea of fun isn't playing a system to its limits, it's forming a narrative within which one is closely involved, where stories and creativity abound over strict realism and simulations.

And Sym, you do realise that when other people aren't incessantly mean, they may not be constantly thinking negative things about other people?

17. jalapeno_dude

Inconceivable! :p

But if you feel positively towards any various change suggested, you should post your support (and preferably some constructive criticism) rather than remaining silent--it seems to require a critical mass for changes to catch on around here.

18. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

Well, I'm ambivalent and a little conflicted, hence my lack of comments. I think that Disenfrancised's economy work looks very good, and I would like to see it in action. However, I have a continuing concern that a NES with it will struggle, due to perceived complexity. However, if it manages to last, I think it would work out very well.

19. Terrance888

Terrance888 Discord Reigns

Wow... I was such a Noob!

pre-CharlNES: Rise of the Central Valley

How about I revamp the stats, redo the style and put a good pre-story to it. It can start after the collaspe of a roman-like empire.

20. Disenfrancised

Disenfrancised Beep Beep

Next section, this time government!