New NESes, ideas, development, etc

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by das, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

GodNESes are always amusing, I think they usually gather most interest when including Genesis-like events, but they rarely go far (Although NESes don't, in general, so it might simply be because people haven't tried enough times damnit!)

Last time I took a go at it, I only managed two updates before my hard drive broke down - I limited the number of active gods for the first turns and I had like thirty applications. (!)

That said at least I like to consider myself a little more well-known (or infamous) so that might be the reason for the overwhelming number of applicants. But they are usually not difficult to get players for. People really like to play pantheon games.

2. Luckymoose

Luckymoose The World is Mine

Quantity has no bearing on quality.

3. Kal'thzar

Kal'thzar Deity

I would certainly be interested Dis. Idea 1 strikes my fancy (I like social engineering + transhumanism...)

4. erez87

erez87 Lord of Random

Both ideas 1 and 2 sound fun. Me playing would depend on the ruleset thou... I'm a lazy bastard.

5. Symphony D.

Symphony D. Deity

The linked documents are scans from (or in one case, a retype of) material from Numbers, Predictions, & War, first published in 1979 by T. N. Dupuy; T. N. Dupuy is himself dead, and the publishing company for this book, Bobbs-Merrill, is defunct, so this information is presented with the understanding that as long as it is not used for commercial interests, no laws are being broken in its transmission. You are of course invited to purchase the full book on Amazon, or perhaps a later book such as Understanding War. They're pretty cheap, though the availability seems to be going down over time.

Your uses for them, if any, are your own.

6. mrrandomplayer

mrrandomplayer Hopeless Situation Warrior

Nobody seems to be interested in working on the timeline for an AltHist NES, so I'm dropping the idea. I think there are already several of those around, so that's fine with me.

I just recently got Pokèmon X and a 3DS for my birthday a few days ago, and now that I've crushed the extremely innovative and well-designed but pathetically easy game (the new Exp Share is crazy OP), I was thinking of starting a Pokèmon related NES. I have two ideas related to that:

1. Some sort of character-based NES, either like a regular Pokèmon game or like the Mystery Dungeon series, where the Pokèmon are sentient.

2. An empire NES, either with no humans and some Pokèmon being the sentient rulers of nations, or a world simply with Pokèmon added to it.

Please tell me what you think.

7. Lord of Elves

Lord of Elves Suede-Denim Secret Police

"Enough of these silly niche ideas too specific to appeal to a broad group of NESers. What this forum needs is an NES where everything in the game is a Pokemans!"

... said mrrandomplayer, apparently.

8. mrrandomplayer

I was saying that my AltHist brainstorming failed because there were already active AltHist NESes. It could have humans and the Pokèmon could be a complement, or not. I'm just saying that I think it is a neat idea and could be explored more. I have played on a very successful Pokèmon game on the Magic the Gathering forums, so I know that it is doable.

Of course, snarky, insubstantial comments are also productive ways of getting things done, at least for LOE.

9. Lord of Elves

Admittedly I come across as harsh, but I should clarify this isn't somehow my personal vendetta against you. A Pokemon NES doesn't really satisfy any need the community has and the energy and time invested in it could be better channeled to other things, read: your alt-historical NES.

I would have liked to see an actual timeline for that developed up to 1900ish, maybe.

10. das

das Regeneration In Process

Methinks that depends on whether or not people want to play in a one (as for "the community" as separate from the people in it, it has need for any games period). I don't because I don't know your pokymens, but it seems a lot of people here do.

11. mrrandomplayer

I'm still going to work on the timeline, it will just be in my free time. I don't think the subject of a NES has to do with how good it will be (unless it is intentionally a massive joke), it is determined by player interest, so if people do express interest, great. If not, nobody loses anything. I could see a game with my idea working out very well or not working out at all, and in the end it really depends on whether people want it or not. The point of this thread is to test the waters to see if NES ideas hold water.

12. JohannaK

JohannaK Heroically Clueless

I can't use excel beyond arranging some data, but both of dis' ideas are really interesting.

I would be up for the GodNES.

And I love the Pokémon games but I don't see them in a NES.

13. The Strategos

The Strategos Thanatos

Test of Concept

Hints:
    -Works best in full screen
    -Flags and symbols on map show things of interest, zoom on these things to read notes of interest.
    -Click to zoom; click on flags/symbols to immediately zoom to them.
    -Map can be dragged around while zoomed.
    -If you get stuck and want to zoom out just hit left or right arrow key. On any finalized version that will immediately take you up a zoom level, on this test of concept you might have to hit the arrow key a couple of times to get back to where you want.
    -You can also click through it like a normal slide show if you are one of those people who want to make sure they read everything.

14. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

yes oh yes. You can code that? How would it work?

15. Thlayli

Thlayli Le Pétit Prince

You know I'll play in anything you mod, you old curmudgeon. With that said, I also prefer 1 and suggest you expand it to a solar system or a habitable planet and its moon to accommodate 10-12 players. Since if you're really capping it at 6, feelings will be hurt. :p

This is also pretty fascinating. We'd need some recommended reading for the players to maintain historical veracity, I think. But consider me highly interested.

16. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

both sound convoluted, but idea 1 is similar in setting to a beyond earth nes i've been planning (but haven't started on the rules for, though i'll probably just blatantly steal them from other people anyway).
    so i guess idea 1, just because i've been thinking about that stuff a lot lately.

17. Lord of Elves

In which NESing is turned into a video game.

18. Golden1Knight

Golden1Knight Emperor

Same here. :D

19. Symphony D.

Symphony D. Deity

He said, shocked, shocked, that an activity that grew out of a video game, on a website about a video game, could possibly have adherents who really wanted something more video game like and less the arbitrary decisions of people made with little to no research.

20. Luckymoose

Luckymoose The World is Mine

Same thing.