New Nvidia drivers for 2000/XP (Version: 28.32)

Yay..i have never been so happy. I have an ancient monitor but it works with this new driver.:goodjob:

Do NOT use the new 23.11 Nvidia drivers if you have a S2460 Tiger MP motherboard. The drivers are known to generate NMI Memory Parity errors. This will BSOD your Windows 2000 system. For more information, check out the threads at 2CPU.COM.

I'm running a one-month old Dell 8200 with nVidia GeForce2 (32Mb) video card and the new drivers work fine for me.

I was experiencing a weird occurence just prior to updating my nvidia drivers to the new one.

My sys:
Celeron 400 oced to 500
256 Ram
Win XP
Voodoo3 3000 pci
Latest drivers, unpatched game

1.2 t-bird
256 Ram
Win XP
Geforce2 Mx
All drivers up to date + civ patch (the good ver.)

I had my brother in law at my hous this week end and he decided to play some civ3. Being unexperienced he had to resart his games VERY frequently :rolleyes: .

Then the Celeron 500 locked up or almost. still saw some movement ~1 frame per 15 sec. so I had him reboot.

All was fine, his restart frenzy was going along and then boom ! froze again. So I begin to doubt my sys. I tell him to play on my main machine the t-bird 1.2 on which I played endless hours of Civ3.

so he started again, still unsatisfied by his games he continued to restart alot. Usually plainf 10-15 turns or even less.

Then the unthinkable happened ! My Winxp box which never BSOD or crashed on me before DID ! !!! Had to reboot

So Having reproduced this on 2 compleatly different systems I now suspect the game to have some sort of problem with repeat restarts. Maybe this is something Firaxis want to look more into.

I would be happy to help (providing more info about the occurence or testing on my other computers).

I will now try to reproduce the problem with the updated Nvidia drivers. But since this happened on a sys with Voodo3 and the unpatched game I think it will still be present after the newer drivers.

Howdy, folks ...

I've been playing fine (if a little slowly) with the Hercules version of the Nvidia 14.10 drivers, but I decided to install the new Nvidia 23.11 reference drivers anyway. So far I've tried two game sessions, and the game has locked up both times, forcing a reboot (First session about an hour of play, second session less than ten minutes). Since I REALLY want to be using Detonator XP, I'm falling back to the Hercules 21.81 drivers. If anyone has any experience or insight to share, it will be greatly appreciated.

System:
PII 300 (o/c to 330 MHz)
256MB RAM
Hercules GeForce MX II 32MB (AGP)
(running at AGP 2x, since my mobo is only a 440LX)
Win98SE, with all updates

A follow-up to my previous post ...

The 21.81 drivers seem to be working, although I did have to turn down my hardware acceleration to one notch above minimum (perhaps I should have tried that with the 23.11 drivers). I also increased the size of my swapfile from 128MB to 256MB, just to be on the safe side.

OK, here's the deal.

If you're running WindowsXP, dont install this f*cking driver. It caused me a lot of grief with a random bootup BSOD and was not remotely pleasant. If you have any other version of windows, you should be fine as I haven't heard any problems from anyone else. But XP... just to be on the safe side...

Originally posted by glory
OK, here's the deal.

If you're running WindowsXP, dont install this f*cking driver. It caused me a lot of grief with a random bootup BSOD and was not remotely pleasant. If you have any other version of windows, you should be fine as I haven't heard any problems from anyone else. But XP... just to be on the safe side...

I use XP and I have had no problems.

im using win xp pro too :) n the 23.11 driver..
..everything's fine..try to do some critical updates for win xp might help :D

I've been playing CivIII with no problems till today.

Today I install Wolfenstein. It won't run. Something about a Glide problem. So, I update my GeForce 2 with these drivers.

Now Wolfenstein runs....and I've got this CivIII problem.

The intro works. However, when I get past the whole tower thing....the screen goes blank, the monitor light flashes and flashes and flashes. Nothing happens. I can hear the Civ music, but no picture.

I've tried starting the game every which way. I've installed all the Windows updates. I've rebooted. I've reinstalled. No dice.

My system is this:

AMD 1600
Mucho mucho RAM
Windows XP
GeForce2 MX 64mb

Guess I'll just play Wolfenstein?

Nvidia, XP, civ III patch
TheBlackhand, and others, I have been battling to find the proper mix of Nvidia drivers (for geforce 256), xp home, and civ III (unpatched and patched). No luck.
If I use XP home default Nvidia drivers, with civ III (patch/unpatch) it seems fine, but I have no opengl or glide, so slowness and some other games (wolfenstein, ghost recon) are not happy. nv4_disp.dll or blue screen of death (feels like an nt4 server running pc anywhere too much...) :eek:
If I use newer nvidia drivers (23.11, 21.83, ... 21.41) civ III unpatched kind of works, but PATCHED?? it dies, nv4_disp.dll error. Yes, 21.83 and 21.41 have WHQL certified drivers, but still no joy. Nvidia says 23.11 is XP certified, but Microsoft disagrees.

Nvidia, 3dfx, creative labs, no help. :( Microsoft, no help. :( Infogrames, no help. :( So, this weekend I make the choice - first person shooters, or civ III. Already told Microsoft I'm rolling back to win98se, but actually thinking of Linux if I go FPS. :rolleyes:

Love to hear of a fix. :

Perhaps this will help. I have had all types of problems.

I could do the setup for the game, selecting the civ and terrain, but when I started the game it would frequently drop to the decktop, or end in a blue screen. Sometimes I could play a dozen turn or so and then get a blue screen.

I tried everything repeatedly. Deleting and reloading the game. Updating sound and video drivers. I even formated my HD several times.

I no longer have these problems. What I was failing to do was delete my old Nvidia drivers before updating. I never did before and everything worked. Even in the format failed because I was using an older driver then updating it. It seems that us Nvidia users have been spoiled. The old drivers would install over the others without complaint. It seems the newer ones won't.

The key step is going to the "add/delete programs" in "control panel" located in "my computer". Find the Nvidia display drivers highlight and delete. Then install the new drivers. Once the driver installed properly Civ3 played like a champ. I can now, much to the chagrin of my family and friends, play for 10 hours at a time without the dreaded bluescreen or dropping to the desktop. Worked for me. I hope this helps someone else.

:D
nVidia has released a new driver install file just a few days ago.
Get 'em while they're hot ! ! ! ! :D
Use the links in the first posting of this thread. [dance]

Greetings, new to the forums. Look forward to seeing what's happening in the Civilization world.
I recently loaded Civ II onto my home PC, which is running XP Pro.
The game takes much longer to load up than it did with either NT or 2000, and there are pauses between screens.
Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? I want my CIV, but can't wait for each screen to decide to pop up.
Thanks in advance!
Paul Quintin
Apex, NC

This sticky should be updated:

as of April 1st, 2004, nvidia has new drivers out. They did a ton of help to me, so upgrading should be a definite yes for any civplayer.

nvidia lists these highlights:
Adds support for GeForce 5700 and GeForce 5700 Ultra
Microsoft® DirectX® 9 and OpenGL® 1.5 support
Supports application profiles for custom image quality and performance modes for all of your applications and games.
NVIDIA nView 3.5 Multi-display technology
Advanced Microsoft® Internet Explorer® popup blocker
Industries only Display Gridlines technology
Improved HDTV Y Pr Pb component out support for 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i formats*

the highlight is because c3c runs using directx 9.0

so, head on over to nvidia if you havent already - see the link in the first post, of this old sticky. Click download drivers, and follow the selection to find the right drivers for your OS and card :)

Top Bottom