1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Official Version - December 1st (12-1)

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Gazebo, Dec 1, 2020.

1. NikMuazHakim

NikMuazHakim Warlord

Can't wait to test it out! The current VP is stable enough for a 3 player quick game! woohoo!

Recursive likes this.
  2. Heinz_Guderian

Heinz_Guderian Warlord

Do you mean multiplayer? It works well?

3. myeong1129

myeong1129 Chieftain

So stable and so challenging... Just won a game as Babylon in Emperor, and it was only a single SS part away from losing to Korea. At that time Arabia also left only 1 civ to culturally dominate, and Austria was competing for votes with me for the third time in the congress. It was the best game I ever played and I thank you guys for it! For a previous game though, I had to forfeit due to Iroquois who took over the whole hemisphere in the medieval era, killing Japan and Greece, kicking Polynesia out to a small island, and vassalling Germany. It was only a King difficulty and the standard speed... Literally unfollowable it was and made me wonder if the happiness system was really working as intended. I believe tech-leading civs and large-sized civs should be more penalized as a snowball from those was too powerful to an undesirable degree. Few Ideas that came to my mind during the play:

* Higher upgrade cost for the units that are unlocked by tech that half of the world does not know yet.
    * Faster war-weariness build-up / Longer resistance period
    * Extra unhappiness for an annexed city (maybe about a half of puppet) representing discrimination
    * A button to switch annexed cities to auto-building mode as puppet city - that god damn Iroquois I mentioned above was annexing every conquered city and leading 10 techs than a follower. However, for a human, it is very tiresome to select builds for every city when they have like 10+.
    * Nerf shadow networks and order. Statecraft-Rationalism-Order was so powerful that spies and scholars in residence didn't do much help to catch up. Wouldn't it look better if one of the spy options to go to Autocracy?
    * Not a suggestion, but seems like AI's army marching notification from spying has some issue. AI alerted me of Arabia marching their army to a city owned by Sweden and told me to be careful not to lose the city. I was like oh, um, ok, thanks. A similar issue happened several times, so I bet something's wrong with the code.

Thanks anyway for the awesome experiences. I really can see this mod is reaching its perfection every patch.

4. Heinz_Guderian

Heinz_Guderian Warlord

I agree that this is the best version of this mod I have played. The tactical AI is super impressive and diplomacy is more interesting than ever. I do agree with the former speaker however that I have seen an AI snowballing a lot in the games I have played. I need to play more to confirm that that happens pretty much every game, and to see if I even find it problematic or if it is just cool.

In my current immortal game as netherlands (epic, huge) Alexander (PDs macedon) has 4 capitals, and the Incas on the same continent seems to have swooped in and vassalized the remains of the kingdoms that Alexander had steamrolled (mongolia and ethiopia). Quite interesting to be honest. Also, polynesia seems to get crushed every game I play, does that happen for anyone else too?

glider1 likes this.
  5. Recursive

Recursive Covets Lands That You Currently Own Moderator

Higher memory usage means more of your RAM is used; it's a problem for Civ V in particular because it's a 32-bit program and is limited to 4 GB of RAM regardless of how much you have; it can crash if you run out of memory. In general terms, optimizing memory over performance would mean reducing the amount of RAM used at the cost of needing to do more real-time calculations, reducing performance.

Low performance/optimization results in longer turn times for Civ V, and in general terms it means "how smoothly/quickly the game is running". Optimizing performance over memory would mean storing more information in memory to reduce the amount of calculations required and make the game run faster, at the cost of more resources.

I'm working on some performance improvements at the moment, but I'm also sanitizing the various military-related functions in the diplomacy AI like war projection and target value; much of this was unchanged from vanilla and it left the code in an unintelligent mess. This results in things like it losing its capital to a City-State. :lol:

My hope is that my next round of changes (after any bugs are ironed out) will reduce memory, speed up turn times and make the diplomacy AI much smarter in one fell swoop. :)

This bug has been corrected for next version already.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    mcdunne, James Ryle, Ragic and 5 others like this.
  6. InkAxis

InkAxis Prince

This really frustrates me because no matter how beefy of a PC I have, civ is still limiting itself. I kinda wish there was a way to "hack" the game so it has more ram available...

Skidizzle and phantomaxl1207 like this.
  7. stii

stii King

What I find is the AI doesn't steamroll other players that much but once they get going they tend to keep going. It probably does depends on speed and difficulty somewhat, on standard deity the AI still has so many units that it takes time to chew through all of them and the AI is going to struggle a lot more than a human to make a final blow.

8. RedHotTomato

RedHotTomato Chieftain

My last playthrough was that one AI destroyed 5 other AIs by turn 150, and they were too far ahead to defend against.
    It was a deity 8-civ epic speed pangaea. :'(

9. Recursive

Recursive Covets Lands That You Currently Own Moderator

This is impossible unfortunately, we don't have full access to the game's code, only the "GameCoreDLL" part. This is why multiplayer compatibility is limited, as well.

If only someone could persuade Firaxis to upgrade the Windows version of Civ V to 64-bit like the Mac version and/or release the network code :)

10. BiteInTheMark

BiteInTheMark Emperor

Several good old games got a remaster version, maybe some day, we will get one for Civ 5 too? :)

JamesNinelives likes this.
  11. General_Drax

General_Drax Warlord

DV Turn 418 - Rome - Emperor - Standard - Standard - Communitas_7a (No Tech trading/Brokering - No events - Raging Barbs) - Authority/Statecraft/Rationalism/Imperialism/Order)

Nice run with my beloved Rome on Emperor. Ais cornered me but had a unstoppable comeback due to UA (chain golden ages) and some very good attack plan around mountains to siege directly the Denmark capital for my very first city conquest.

Persia and Indonesia were outstanding trying to stop me with a close call to CV by Persia stopped by Rome, ehm UN, Council.

Bribed wars
    Disabled them mid game due to absurd DoW from the other side of the planet the same turn I discovered Celts and France.

Happiness
    In the right spot. Always on the 50+ mark with some gold on luxuries buying. With 7 or so cities could stay on 90% without much sweating.

AI bargaining logic
    Trade deals were reasonable but on my bribing wars AIs are willing to pay too much like 300gpt to declare war to a civ that was already in m sights. Fine on strategic and luxuries.

Communitas_7a map
    Overall, every Civ got enough of one strategic resource to use and sell. I had the right amount of coal and aluminum.

There was enough of space between Civs starting locations

Bugs:

_ Castle not showing up on culture UI (already on github). Hacienda there but i'm not playing with Spain. Had to use the auto-optimize function.

_ GW and GM disappeared around turn 350 with 3 AIs on Artistry. I could only pop them for instant yields. I think there is something strange with the new GP. Krajzen packsa are still recommended on a heavy GP game.

James Ryle, vyyt, tu_79 and 2 others like this.
  12. Hosannah

Hosannah Chieftain

so... you’re telling me if I used a Mac (emulater) and the Mac version of civ I’d have 64Bit support? Sorry if this is a dumb question

13. 2506

2506 Warlord

Does anyone else think that tech progress has been slowed too much in the later game? I'm in 1950 on Emperor standard, there's no aircraft or the Manhattan project, landships hae just made an appearance, and everyone is still on ironclads and cruisers. I prefer the immersion of having techs approximately match the time period.

14. stii

stii King

I'm starting to get the feeling this happens a lot on epic/marathon. Which is interesting because in general faster speeds are harder but maybe that was because in the base game the AI wasn't very good at attacking. I'd quite like to try and fight a huge AI, any other non standard setting you are running?

15. John.B.C

John.B.C Prince

AI NOT AGGRESSIVE IN IT'S EXPANSION
    The AI doesn't seem as agressive in the expansion of it's empire as in earlier patches (it has been like this for a long time I think). I'd see it as a weakness, for example, in the case of since Egypt in my latest game could have built 2-3 more cities to the west of it's current 5 cities. I wouldn't consider 8 cities to be 'over-expansion'.

They are missing out on iron, horse, cocoa, sugar, inscense and a natural wonder. I'd really like to see an city on that nice little island. :)

Spoiler free land :
    upload_2020-12-20_20-50-7.png

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    Zuizgond likes this.
  16. XSamatan

XSamatan Chieftain

I have the complete other impression (playing epic) - these are my settings which achieve somewhat realistic dates for discoveries:
    Code:
    -- Change Tech Costs (from CEP):

UPDATE Technologies SET Cost =      60 WHERE GridX =  1; --35
    UPDATE Technologies SET Cost =     100 WHERE GridX =  2; --55
    UPDATE Technologies SET Cost =     130 WHERE GridX =  3; --105
    UPDATE Technologies SET Cost =     275 WHERE GridX =  4; --175
    UPDATE Technologies SET Cost =     500 WHERE GridX =  5; --275
    UPDATE Technologies SET Cost =     850 WHERE GridX =  6; --485
    UPDATE Technologies SET Cost =    1800 WHERE GridX =  7; --780
    UPDATE Technologies SET Cost =    2500 WHERE GridX =  8; --1150
    UPDATE Technologies SET Cost =    3500 WHERE GridX =  9; --1600
    UPDATE Technologies SET Cost =    5500 WHERE GridX = 10; --2350
    UPDATE Technologies SET Cost =    7500 WHERE GridX = 11; --3100
    UPDATE Technologies SET Cost =    9500 WHERE GridX = 12; --4100
    UPDATE Technologies SET Cost =   11500 WHERE GridX = 13; --5100
    UPDATE Technologies SET Cost =   12500 WHERE GridX = 14; --6400
    UPDATE Technologies SET Cost =   13500 WHERE GridX = 15; --7700
    UPDATE Technologies SET Cost =   14500 WHERE GridX = 16; --8800
    UPDATE Technologies SET Cost =   15500 WHERE GridX = 17; --9500
    UPDATE Technologies SET Cost =   16500 WHERE GridX = 18; --NEW!
    UPDATE Technologies SET Cost =   17500 WHERE GridX = 19; --NEW!

-- Speed Change
    UPDATE GameSpeeds SET ResearchPercent = 300 WHERE Type = 'GAMESPEED_MARATHON';
    UPDATE GameSpeeds SET ResearchPercent = 185 WHERE Type = 'GAMESPEED_EPIC';
    Maybe the game duration needs to be taken into account more if other players also report too slow tech progress on standard to what seems to be the consensus on epic - too fast teching ;D

Regards
    XSamatan

17. cheezitsrice

cheezitsrice Chieftain

are tile improvement recommendations broken in this version? they don't show up in this version!

18. brutalz

brutalz Chieftain

Epic speed felt pretty much spot on with the tech speed, maybe could go a little bit slower, but how it is now is the best its been that I've played,

muchos grazias to the team!

19. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

20. Kim Dong Un

Kim Dong Un The One & Unly Supporter

My diplo has been almost perfect through 300 turns on standard settings. One of the better games I've played over the past year or two.

There's been a similar experience posted by another user recently though Dan, so maybe something is up.