1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Official Version - December 1st (12-1)

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Gazebo, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Recursive

Recursive Covets Lands That You Currently Own Moderator

AI doesn't apply that modifier unless it's close to you or has the "cultural" personality. So if they get closer, it can start applying.

2. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

I always feel like a bribed war almost requires some checklist to be completed. Something like: “you kill X units, pillage Y tiles, or take one city”. Other wise you can’t make peace.

the issue I always see is the bribed party that literally does nothing, they just declare war and hang.

3. azum4roll

azum4roll Emperor

Wouldn't that just lead to a never-ending war, since they still literally do nothing? Sounds worse.

Carloshooter and vyyt like this.
  4. Jednooki_John

Jednooki_John Chieftain

What I always wondered about those wars is the following - am I the only one who witness dozens upon dozens of wars that end up with nothing whatsoever? I mean, I don't know how does the logic underneath work (and I dont want to sound overly critical), but can it be that AI sets up some objectives/plans (conquer city X let say) which it tries to achieve first and foremost while declaring and it doesn't just stop abruptly because Y amount of turns passed or some war score got to Z range. What I mean is, wars feel very, dare I say, ARTIFICIAL. They start for seemingly no good reason and end for seemingly no good reason as well. Is there a way wars could be more of a strategic decision for AI with goals/objectives etc. or am I into fantasy/daydreaming land? :)

5. griD77

griD77 Chieftain

Askia went off in my game (Huge, Epic, King, 3/4 Unique) :D
    He went to war methodically, one after the other. The last couple of Civs only lasted a few turns. Rome (auth) also managed to overwhelm Germany (trad) in the last ~20 Turns.
    I'm really impressed by the war AI!

Attached Files:

6. Heinz_Guderian

Heinz_Guderian Warlord

I agree with this. I like that the AIs are able to warmonger effectively, but pretty much all of my games in this patch has had a runaway warmonger AI that are head and shoulders above the rest.

7. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

a more radical option, probably mod mod territory, would be to remove the bribe system in favor of city bounties. Basically a post a “1000 gp” bounty for the capture of x city, similar to a cs quest. Then civs can decide if they want to go for the bounty or not

Vhozite and XSamatan like this.
  8. Revolutionist_8

Revolutionist_8 Prince

I hop onto the train and join my friends before me, praising the military AI in this version. :)

TL;DR: Rome became stronk.

Spoiler more details :

Austria was the leading power until renaissance, just above north of me (I'm the yellow-black, aka Russia) when I felt that time has finally come to do something about them, started an all-out, bloody war and tried to pull literally anyone I just could as well.

Long story short, Rome and I did the heavy lifting (although England attacking from West wasn't insignificant either), Rome took a good chunk of them, while I took most of my hard-earned reward (including the capital).

However, Rome didn't stop there, they ate France (who previously owned most of Babylon), then took half of Indonesia (my ally), then ate Persia completely, finished Babylon and absorbing some City-States on the way as well, because why not.

Now they are hostile to me, we are head-to-head on science, but I'm getting a little bit anxious about their power and size. Not to mention if they get an appetite to my other ally Inca north of me (who are much much weaker than we are), things could get even nastier. I can probably defend myself (I've created a well-designed defense line), but succesfully beating them offensively seems impossible.

What I'm going to try to do is somehow fragment them through happiness since they hover just below 50% (won't be easy tho, we have different ideologies but they have a lot of Tourism and Culture as well), through diplomacy and Spy activites.

We shall see :D

rome_stronk.png

9. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

the real test will be at paratroopers, as that is when they can start bypassing your defensive line and push inward.

the other big risk, if Rome pushes a big navy north he will likely crush your vassals northern cities, which will give him access to the north and now you have two fronts to worry about. Of course he could also go south, with as many coastal cities as he has he could build a gigantic navy down there

good luck!

vyyt and Revolutionist_8 like this.
  10. Remos

Remos Chieftain

So this bug I reported more than half a year ago still hasn't been fixed. Am I the only one getting it?

11. azum4roll

azum4roll Emperor

YOU are the contender.

12. youngsteve

youngsteve Prince

Is it just me or do does anyone else think that Spearmen are influential units far to long in the game, & more than any other unit. By the time you can gain Pikemen you can also obtain Swordsmen, Catapults, & Skirmishers with their upgrades. It can take even longer if you are concentrating at the top of the tech tree. Once you obtain Pikemen though, it doesn't seem that long to gain Terico units. This is on standard pace, & must be alot worse on slower ones. Couldn't there be an upgrade to Spearmen before Pikemen as there is a big jump.

13. SuperNoobCamper

SuperNoobCamper King

The time gap between spears and pikes is a relatively big one but they kind of obsolete of become less important once swordsmen and composites come online so their time to shine is really short plus the gap in CS between spears (11:c5strength:) and Spikes (17:c5strength:) is narrow that it's unnecessary to put an intermediate unit in between them.
    If anything it's the gap between Tercios(25:c5strength:) and Fusiliers (38:c5strength:) that could be narrowed down a bit.

vyyt likes this.
  14. Omen of Peace

Omen of Peace Prince

Another game, another military AI leading - Sweden.

This time things looked in balance on my continent for a while: Rome had conquered Venice (capital only) early, then the Incas had nabbed two American cities and Sweden one.
    I as Egypt was all the way to the North and had warred a bit with Rome (for diplomatic reasons mostly, and to try and weaken them a bit).

But then Sweden surged and swallowed up America, Venice and the Incas.
    Now they have 14+ cities... And I sense a lot of warring coming up if I want to survive. For now we are friends and Rome, the common enemy, is a buffer between us, but I can't let them absorb all of Rome or they'll be unstoppable.

(On the other continent there's just Ethiopia and Greece.)

I wanted a more peaceful game! :)

Regarding the melee line: the CS progression is fairly even. It's roughly +50% CS each time. I don't see an issue with it.

vyyt likes this.
  15. SuperNoobCamper

SuperNoobCamper King

Wanted to play a game as Denmark on the usual settings i play on (Epic, Emperor, Standard size communitu_79a) but got my butt kicked twice very early two games in a row that i rage quit.
    First one it was my own fault for over expanding while slowing my policies acquisition and techs until i got overrun by the Zulus and the score leader Rome at turn 150.
    The second one Progress Songhai shoot so far abead very early and got around 15 units including skirmishers at turn 100 and attacked me after sacking a nearby city state (They had 5 policies in progress, 5 cities and 15 techs by that point in the game) and i was already struggling with prodution on a flat desert start that lacked production and had already very few food tiles.
    Guess i'll try spear rushing my opponents next time i want to have a good time :crazyeye:

vyyt likes this.
  16. Heinz_Guderian

Heinz_Guderian Warlord

Progress Songhai? What the fudge.

17. LifeOfBrian

LifeOfBrian King

SuperNoobCamper, as Denmark the key is to not rush things with spears, but instead to rush Berserkers and, after researching Berserkers, build them while you go research towards Sailing. I've often started with only 3 or 4 Denmark cities before unleashing my Berserkers upon the world.

18. SuperNoobCamper

SuperNoobCamper King

I have played Denmark a lot and i know how they work but i'm just getting rushed today that i could not setup my initial cities or get my runestones online let alone DOW someone else.

Progress AI does very well in the early game for some reason, I saw progress sweeden with just two cities and 5 policies in progress in just 100 turnsof epic speed.... the boost they get when they enter the classical era which translates into culture thanks to progress puts them so far ahead.

vyyt likes this.
  19. LifeOfBrian

LifeOfBrian King

Ah, ok then.

20. akasha27

akasha27 Chieftain

Sorry if this has been addressed, but I can't see my great works of art on the Culture Panel. Could it be a bug? anyone else with this issue?
    Happy new year!

Zuizgond likes this.