New Official Version - December 1st (12-1)

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Gazebo, Dec 1, 2020.

1. LifeOfBrian

LifeOfBrian King

2506, I agree, that's why I recommended a few options, for example have the mechanism appear, once you've founded a religion, that any missionary/GP that wants to enter your lands (unless you're giving open borders) cannot do so unless the AI declares war on you (kind of like now with military units). That way religions could still be spread to non-founders without their consent, but to founders only through their consent (via open borders) and through passive spread/pressure. I don't think that would be exploitable in MP?

vyyt, 2506 and jdevo like this.
  2. youngsteve

youngsteve Prince

Thanks for the explanation. Seems a strange way to use Religion. I do remember you talking about it before, & had some good ideas.

3. youngsteve

youngsteve Prince

Yes, I discovered whilst not near the enemy I could destroy it. Seems bizarre to me.

This is what I don't understand. To me this is one of the most aggresive stances the AI can take, & I always declare war on them, though must admit LifeofBrian workaround seems nice. What is ridiclous is none ever takes notice when you tell them not to, whether the civ is peaceful/warlike, weak/strong. I agree there should be an option that if you don't back off war will be declared, & then up to them. The real loser with this in the long run is AI, which doesn't make sense when they can easily go elsewhere with their missionaries.

vyyt likes this.
  4. SpankmyMetroid

SpankmyMetroid Warlord

If I have the gold to spare for maintenance, I use them as buffer units in war (capturing a civilian unit counts as a units attack for that turn so you can put a missionary between a unit in a dangerous position and the enemy) or as disposable scouts (4 movement and ignoring borders means you can search through AI land even if they hate you, very good if you need to complete a CS quest for finding natural wonders). Just as often I’ll just delete them to save the gold costs though.

5. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Are you leaving inquisitors in your cities? They passively reduce both passive spread and active missionary spread. I think there was a bug on that a version or so ago, but in theory that's the counter.

vyyt likes this.
  6. 2506

2506 Warlord

This is a great point. The big loser here is the AI, since they are very likely to lose that war. I just vassalized a strong, otherwise friendly neighboring Babylon just because he wouldn't back off. During the war I busted my butt to reform, and finally made it. Afterward, passive spread eventually converted all my cities anyway.

Forgot all about it thanks to that bug. I agree it's a counter, although maybe not the counter. I'll definitely try it next game as a test.

7. stii

stii King

That AI war looks great, pretty much exactly what a human should do. Small island so attacking makes sense and mostly ranged units.

vyyt and LifeOfBrian like this.
  8. Heinz_Guderian

Heinz_Guderian Warlord

Anyone else noticing that the AI quite often gets afraid of you now? I would guess it is because of the difference in how AIs calculates human military strength, or the "military performance" rating or whatever you call it, right? What does the "Afraid" approach entail anyway?

vyyt and LifeOfBrian like this.
  9. Revolutionist_8

Revolutionist_8 Prince

I noticed it as well, even when having a relatively weak military. But not always, I wasn't able to figure out a pattern of it yet, which is kinda weird :D

vyyt and Heinz_Guderian like this.
  10. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

It was one of recursive changes, evaluating human performance when checking player's military strength. It should make ai wait until it has the right amount of units to face the human.

11. SuperNoobCamper

SuperNoobCamper King

What do you guys think of forcing the first great prophet to spawn in the capital rather than the current city with highest faith output/city whose faith generation last contributed the GP faith accumulation?

12. Rean

Rean Warlord

Would disagree, I think the way it works now is more interesting than just forcing it in your capital.

vyyt, tu_79, Patee and 3 others like this.
  13. stormfallen

stormfallen Warlord

I have never in my life wanted to found a religion in a city other than my capital. And there are few things more aggravating than when another civ founds while your prophet is walking and takes that belief you wanted.

SuperNoobCamper and Zuizgond like this.
  14. Kim Dong Un

Kim Dong Un The One & Unly Supporter

This is a rare situation where I'll sometimes cheat with IGE if I'm hellbent on designating a holy city and my prophet spawns like 5 turns away in another city (while only 1 founding spot remains); just teleport him to that city immediately after he spawns and pretend like nothing happened. Most times I'll role-play some sort of religious pilgrimage though.

15. Recursive

Recursive Covets Lands That You Currently Own Moderator

It was overtuned I think :), the modifier will be changeable in XML for the next version...

Hinin likes this.
  16. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

Hola everyone! I took a break from things for the holidays, but I'm getting back in the swing of things this week. I see you've been busy in my absence...excellent!

G

Dovaj, mcdunne, abulafia77 and 18 others like this.
  17. azum4roll

azum4roll Emperor

There's a point though. The AI always founds on spot, AND sometimes loses their holy city to revolution due to unhappiness. It just hurts too much.

18. ChefBRD

ChefBRD Chieftain

Been playing some other games for a bit (holy **** was Outer Wilds great!) and just started with this version this past week. Absolutely loving it. Great work one and all, but Iliteroi and Recursive's changes are very noticeable and great. I just played my most fun Medieval loss ever!

I was a border-popping Authority Russia, feeling very cocky slowly shredding Alexander's hoplites and swordsmen with a mostly heavy skirmisher army, when just after I completed Angor Wat, Suleiman declared on my opposite flank and took a city. By the time I stabilized the situation there, Alexander had clawed back to take one for himself. And just then a certain Mr. Bluetooth declared on my final border and I gave up. I was playing around with a wide Russia mostly using Authority for border perk and heavy tribute and plopping cities where I could, and I was mercilessly punished for not taking out one of my neighbor's early when I had the chance. Really excellent AI strategy and tactics.

One quick quibble/ question and sorry if they've been addressed before...
    Natural border growth has always prioritized flat over hills (I don't love it, but it is what it is). Lately I've been seeing it even prioritize resource-less grassland over even luxuries on hills, 2 hexes from city, no rivers in the way. Is this intentional or is there a way to tweak it to grab luxes before other hex? Additional question: why doesn't it *ever* prioritize hills, even if you already have 10+ floodplains/ grasslands/ plains and very low production?

Thanks!

vyyt and Heinz_Guderian like this.
  19. ChefBRD

ChefBRD Chieftain

I'm usually happy to found in an alternate city with a religious natural wonder. These are also the only times I've ever experienced a prophet spawning outside my capital. The flavor feels like Mecca and Medina or Kyoto and Edo or something. Plus, it's usually a relief to know I can build my religious wonders there rather than add another thing in the queue of my capital.

I wouldn't miss the possibility if it was gone, but I kind of like it being there.

Hinin, smorgasborgas and Kim Dong Un like this.
  20. SuperNoobCamper

SuperNoobCamper King

May you elaborate why is it "interesting"? It feels like a clear disadvantage the vast majority of times.