New Official Version - December 1st (12-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
game crashed attacking a knight with a bowman. also, is the ai way more aggressive than normal? im getting gang tackled every so often for no apparent reason.

Bugs that were inhibiting AI aggression were fixed in this version. The unit attack crashes are being fixed.

By "gang tackled" what do you mean exactly? A lot of war declarations? Joint wars? Aggressive troop movements?

FYI everyone, I have fixed the "liberating a dead civ doesn't make them your vassal" bug. :)

(I think. Problem was that it was mistakenly trying to call the "add vassal" code before the "verify if player is alive and give them the city" code. I changed the order around and cleaned up the function.)

Sweet! Any ETA? That hard crash on ranged aiming has totally stopped my latest game. I've been trying not to hover but end up doing it eventually at some point jajaja

Sweet! Any ETA? That hard crash on ranged aiming has totally stopped my latest game. I've been trying not to hover but end up doing it eventually at some point jajaja

Sometime tonight, hopefully. Depends on G. I can post a fixed DLL though.

Bugs that were inhibiting AI aggression were fixed in this version. The unit attack crashes are being fixed.

By "gang tackled" what do you mean exactly? A lot of war declarations? Joint wars? Aggressive troop movements?

chain reaction declarations of war (and they mean it) around the time religions are being enhanced, all neighbors attack. it feels like the ai is triggered all by the same thing even though on the surface relations seem ok. Im not digging into the numbers every turn, just notice its more than before.

Last edited:
chain reaction declarations of war (and they mean it) around the time religions are being enhanced, all neighbors attack. it feels like the ai is triggered all by the same thing even though on the surface relations seem ok. Im not digging into the numbers every turn, just notice its more than before.

I'd need more information to ascertain if the aggression is excessive. If you're not already playing with Transparent Diplomacy, you can turn on Debug Mode in (1) Community Patch > Core Files > Core Changes > DiploAIOptions.sql (at the bottom), which will show you the opinion factors when you mouse over each leader.

If you have a weak military and/or are too far ahead and victory competition is enabled, they are likely to go full carnivore on you. :)

If multiple AIs suddenly attack on the same turn, they probably had a coop war planned against you (you can tell for sure it was a coop or bribed war if an AI declares war when it's not their turn, or you can check the Negotiate Peace button).

Religious similarities/differences are also a potent factor in Medieval/Renaissance, since not only are they more likely to attack if you have an opposing religion, they get diplo bonuses and less warmongering penalties with each other if they have the same religion.

(Conversely, attacking someone with the same religion is less likely, and results in more warmongering penalties.)

Good to hear that they're following through on their threats though!

Last edited:
you have a weak military and/or are too far ahead and victory competition is enabled, they are likely to go full carnivore on you. :)

I personally think it's cheating that another player with no visibility on me knows exactly how strong my military is, and vice versa so I never check the scores. But I guess any advantage the AI can get is a good thing.

I personally think it's cheating that another player with no visibility on me knows exactly how strong my military is, and vice versa so I never check the scores. But I guess any advantage the AI can get is a good thing.
If you talk to your military advisor they can throw you a rough estimate of their army strength.
tho save cause it randomly crashes the game lol

If you talk to your military advisor they can throw you a rough estimate of their army strength.
tho save cause it randomly crashes the game lol

Yes, if the advisors worked as intended you'd be able to get the same information the AI gets. You can also get it from the War Status panel.

If y'all are curious about how the calculation works:
Code:
AI takes both players' military power total (which factors in each unit and their promotions plus a small base number).

Defensive Pacts add 10% of the DP player's military strength if the DP could trigger (if you're at war with a player but not their DP, the DP is ignored).

If the AI is planning a coop war against a player, 10% of the coop war ally's strength is added to the AI's strength (they don't get to see your coop wars).

Teammates add 20% of the teammate's strength.

Only ONE of these three bonuses applies per player.

Additionally:
- Each player has a skill rating which starts at (1000 * Start Era #).
Whenever you kill a unit, plunder/steal a tile, or capture a city, you gain skill rating points.
Whenever any of these things happen to you, you lose skill rating points (can't go below 0).
AI will calculate the global average of skill ratings (excluding the evaluated player) and then find the percentage difference between that player and the global average.
It then adds the % difference (up to 100%) or subtracts half of the % difference (up to 50%) from the player's military power.

- Humans who aren't vassals have an additional bonus to their military power estimation, ranging from 0% on Settler to 105% on Deity.

- These two multipliers are applied before 10-20% of a player's strength is added to another player's estimation.

Once the final total for each player is calculated, it's a simple ratio comparison of your strength versus their strength, from which a rating is generated:
<33%: Pathetic
33-49%: Poor
50-74%: Weak
75-124%: Average
125-199%: Strong
200-299%: Powerful
>=300%: Immense

This rating is used in numerous AI calculations.

The same calculation is used by your military advisor and the War Status panel.

I don't consider it cheating. Surely you've seen that greeting from AIs: "I've heard many stories of your powerful military." Word travels! ;)

Last edited:
game crashed attacking a knight with a bowman. also, is the ai way more aggressive than normal? im getting gang tackled every so often for no apparent reason.

I haven't had this particular crash, but I've had the game crash from just hovering over a city after selecting any Frigate. So I can't attack cities with Frigates at all. Ironclads (and I presume other Melee naval units) can attack cities just fine, and the Frigates can also attack units in general (including Land units) just fine too. It's just the Frigate/City interaction that's broken. I imagine other ranged naval units in general will have the same bug, but I haven't used those in a war so far.

EDIT -

also heard you can't ranged attack cities

I missed this post before. Reading it prompted me to try using Land Ranged units to attack cities too and yeah, those will also crash the game just from hovering over a city after selecting the unit. You can't even try to attack (game crashes before that) and the unit doesn't even need to be in range. Just hovering over the city to check the damage calculation crashes the game. So I guess all ranged units are broken.

I haven't had this particular crash, but I've had the game crash from just hovering over a city after selecting any Frigate. So I can't attack cities with Frigates at all. Ironclads (and I presume other Melee naval units) can attack cities just fine, and the Frigates can also attack units in general (including Land units) just fine too. It's just the Frigate/City interaction that's broken. I imagine other ranged naval units in general will have the same bug, but I haven't used those in a war so far.

EDIT -

I missed this post before. Reading it prompted me to try using Land Ranged units to attack cities too and yeah, those will also crash the game just from hovering over a city after selecting the unit. You can't even try to attack (game crashes before that) and the unit doesn't even need to be in range. Just hovering over the city to check the damage calculation crashes the game. So I guess all ranged units are broken.
Yea, I'll wait for a new patch so they fix it, seems like it makes the game unplayable

Civ4 spying was perfect to address this point. You can only see your rival's demographics if you have invested enough spy points into it.

oof, i'm crashing everytime i try to use my archers too. glad its not just me. i'll revert to the older version for now just so i can get to play :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom