New Official Version - October 7th (10-7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, apparently we are having psychotically different results. I am in a Turn 137 game as the Huns. On a Standard Map (at standard speed), NO ONE has ever declared a war. Except me. I declared one war against Austria. No denouncements (other than Austria after taking her capital, she has 1 city left). Even then, after taking her capital, nothing other than trades and rainbows and puppy dogs.

We are all on the same landmass. I have met all 12 civs. This is a game with 12 civs, 22 CS, where there should only be 8/16 (again, standard map).

I even made the adjustment to get rid of brokered wars, and at the same time this one:

SELECT 'DIPLOAI_AGGRESSIVE_MODE', '2';

Which means the AI should be crazy against everyone else. But they are not.

Again, I have never been asked to join a war (from a friend) against another AI. Ever.

Totally confused. I have saves if needed, but at this point I'm just discussing ideas (not specifics).
Since it's named "MODE", it's likely a flag where a value of 2 isn't expected.

Since it's named "MODE", it's likely a flag where a value of 2 isn't expected.

Well, if you look inside the file, that's not true at all:

[AGGRESSIVE MODE]
-- If set to 1, AI civilizations will be much more aggressive towards human players. This is just for fun, and is not balanced at all! NOTE: Has no effect if Passive Mode is enabled.
-- If set to 2, AI civilizations will be much more aggressive towards all other civilizations and City-States. NOTE: If Passive Mode is set to 1, this has no effect towards human players, and if set to 2, this has no effect.
-- This setting is switched on automatically if Passive Mode is not enabled and the Science, Culture and Diplomatic victory conditions are all disabled.
INSERT INTO Defines (Name, Value)
SELECT 'DIPLOAI_AGGRESSIVE_MODE', '2';

I mean, if you changed some of the settings perhaps that is the reason we are getting such different outcomes? :)

The only thing I turned off is brokered war since I was literally getting 20+ requests per 10 turns for things like 2 gpt and open borders. To compensate, I was trying to make the AI more aggressive (the only other change I was making). None of it seems to be working.

By the way, how does one best use chariot archers? They require horses, but they seem outclassed by spears. So their niche seems pretty small.
The only thing I turned off is brokered war since I was literally getting 20+ requests per 10 turns for things like 2 gpt and open borders. To compensate, I was trying to make the AI more aggressive (the only other change I was making). None of it seems to be working.

Sure. I understand that. I was suggesting that turning off brokered war seems to have had a big impact.

I was wondering if it was possible to tweak goody huts somewhat. Especially the one that gives a free tech seems OP, and afaik there's no limit as to how many times you can get it, i.e. It can really unbalance games and cause snowballing early on.

Two suggestions from my side could be to either make it a science bonus like the goody hut granting culture (not possible with current table structure) or to introduce a cap on the number of times you can get it (either hard cap or decreasing chance based on the number of times you've had it so far).

How do you feel about that?

\Skodkim

10-7-2 Marathon/Large/Immortale.

Am I the only one experiencing CTD at Info Era when I declare war to a AI opponent ?

Detail: Egypt without defencive pact and already at war vs Assyria. I declare war to Egypt. CTD during his turn.
Because I'm using many modmods I'm not sure if the crash is from VP or something else.

I was wondering if it was possible to tweak goody huts somewhat. Especially the one that gives a free tech seems OP, and afaik there's no limit as to how many times you can get it, i.e. It can really unbalance games and cause snowballing early on.
\Skodkim

Maybe it's something about the settings or the game speed that I play on, but I haven't noticed this being the case. I.e. I can often get a boost from ancient ruins (goody huts) but it's usually temporary rather than something game-changing. Particularly if we're talking about the player, the AI gets lots of boost and I find they are often ahead in tech in the early-game at the moment. The only one I feel is sometimes unbalanced is the faith ruin - that has more of an impact in terms of you vs. the AI than tech IMO.
afaik there's no limit as to how many times you can get it

There's actually a cooldown period that prevents you from getting the same benefit from ruins multiple times in a row. Try playing The Shoshone - you'll notice your options when you pop a ruin won't include ones you've already picked recently.

@Asterix Rage I think it's due to map size/number of units on screen. With many modmods you'll force a spike on cpu/ram when VP will awake all the units and calculate damage/armor/terrain modifiers for the incoming war.

Is this version better balanced on standard or epic speeds?

Gazebo stated that VP is balanced around Standard speed.

Anyway the main difference I noticed it's about war attrition. On standard is somewhat harder overcome the spawn frequency of enemy reinforcements, on epic you can wear them down and finally conquest the city. Beside on standard teching is faster and often AIs or the player could upgrade units in the middle of the war.

Maybe it's something about the settings or the game speed that I play on, but I haven't noticed this being the case. I.e. I can often get a boost from ancient ruins (goody huts) but it's usually temporary rather than something game-changing. Particularly if we're talking about the player, the AI gets lots of boost and I find they are often ahead in tech in the early-game at the moment. The only one I feel is sometimes unbalanced is the faith ruin - that has more of an impact in terms of you vs. the AI than tech IMO.

There's actually a cooldown period that prevents you from getting the same benefit from ruins multiple times in a row. Try playing The Shoshone - you'll notice your options when you pop a ruin won't include ones you've already picked recently.

Still, I've had 5 free techs in my current game and I've just researched two techs on my own (slightly modded speed, not unsimilar to Marathon speed). I actually find myself using IGE to remove techs from me sometimes in order not to get too far ahead but still I find myself wondering how many free techs the AI got...

\Skodkim

Still, I've had 5 free techs in my current game and I've just researched two techs on my own (slightly modded speed, not unsimilar to Marathon speed).

\Skodkim

That's pretty rare, at least in my games. How many ruins did you get total? What other settings are you playing?

@Asterix Rage I think it's due to map size/number of units on screen. With many modmods you'll force a spike on cpu/ram when VP will awake all the units and calculate damage/armor/terrain modifiers for the incoming war.
I know what you're talking about.
I'm on large. With a 900k OS config very capable to deal with that. I never got CTD at this exact moment before.

That's pretty rare, at least in my games. How many ruins did you get total? What other settings are you playing?
I have no idea how many I got but it was a few. Maybe I was just extremely lucky but my point is that I think the bonus itself is OP compared to the others and I think it should be nerfed.

\Skodkim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom