New Official Version - October 7th (10-7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indonesia is working as intended. This guy just doesn't like how it works.
I really have no idea what's wrong with Indonesia; the last time i played it was working fine and the resources not appearing was because of another unrevealed resource or i just did not notice but it's nothing game breaking in my experience.

With Indonesia, I wouldn't mind if it overrides a bonus resource if there are no available spots. A luxury > Bonus. And I notice that on maps like Communitas, islands are pretty well covered in resources.

Anyway, it seems pretty clear that tech speed is too much, and there isn't enough production time at all. I don't know what the AI is doing, but they seem to have plenty of time grabbing wonders, and building units, even without production beliefs or choices.

Last edited:
Hi, can anyone help me with missing monopoly bonus yeld? :) It was ok after fresh VP instal, but after i entered game 2nd time it disapeared :/

Attachments

• missing monopoly bonus.png
    missing monopoly bonus.png
    237.1 KB · Views: 53
Ughhh, maybe report it on github and it'll get fixed eventually and i think while G sorts it out you should use the time you are not playing to sort out your attitude :)
The problem is that this bug with Indonesia is not easy to replicate. On one hand their luxury resource spawns in enemy terrotory occasionally, and on the other hand it doesn't spawn at all.

It is a tricky one to replicate. No I haven't reported it on Github, I once reported it here.

Some people even doubt me. They say that there must be another resource. But nope, I have had this and checked if there is another resource like uranium later. Nothing.

It is a tricky one, basically 3 separate issues

1. Spawns in enemy territory
2. Doesn't spawn at all (most notable on islands)
3. When you conquer a city, you don't get a uniques resource. I believe that it is intended to get a luxury but sometimes you don't. This one can actually be triggered by 1 or 2 above.

Last edited:
I've played a lot of Indonesia games in the recent patches, even on Deity they're a great civ to compete with. A misplaced or non-placed unique resource doesn't change that, so I encourage everyone to give Indonesia a try! Kris swordsmen are a terrific UU, Candi is basically a light-weight Mosque with the extra culture you can get from it, you get three extra monopolies, unique resources make tundra and desert pantheons/starts even better than normally, festivals and springtime pantheons are more feasible to found with, you get a lot extra gold from unique resources. One of my favourite civs to play with.

Indonesia is working as intended. This guy just doesn't like how it works.

Is it though? Not quite sure what he was referring to. The UA is supposed to place the luxury under your city if no other tile is available. If it's taken and nothing is left it just doesn't spawn. If it's doing that, it's working. If it's doing something else, it might be broken.

Edit: nm missed his follow up post

After a few games I have to agree that the tech speed is just too fast now. Even in my capital and focusing on production I keep getting an ever expanding list of buildings.

This has a secondary effect of causing happiness issues because my tech level quickly passes my infrastructure.

The problem is that this bug with Indonesia is not easy to replicate. On one hand their luxury resource spawns in enemy terrotory occasionally, and on the other hand it doesn't spawn at all.

It is a tricky one to replicate. No I haven't reported it on Github, I once reported it here.

Some people even doubt me. They say that there must be another resource. But nope, I have had this and checked if there is another resource like uranium later. Nothing.

It is a tricky one, basically 3 separate issues

1. Spawns in enemy territory
2. Doesn't spawn at all (most notable on islands)
3. When you conquer a city, you don't get a uniques resource. I believe that it is intended to get a luxury but sometimes you don't. This one can actually be triggered by 1 or 2 above.

If it's tricky to replicate, it is also going to be harder for them to fix. I'd advise to still put it on github with an attached savegame explaining the situation, if you feel this strongly about it having to be fixed. It's their centralized spot for bug reports and that would give the highest chance, it'd be on the developer's radar.

Otherwise I think there is a mod out there, "really advanced setup" that allows you to disable civilizations from spawning, so you can disable Indonesia. I've just heard about this mod and haven't used it myself.

I would like the tech speed decreased at least a little bit. I'm somehow keeping afloat, but I'm having to spend a lot of money investing into buildings.

@Solic I will report it when I have a chance. I may or may not have the save but should be in the garbage bin if I deleted that session from in-game.

We will get to the bottom of it. And see if @pineappledan is right or not about it. His claim is that it is not a bug but just my interpretation of Indonesia. But others have said that if this indeed happens then it is not right.

After a few games I have to agree that the tech speed is just too fast now. Even in my capital and focusing on production I keep getting an ever expanding list of buildings.

This has a secondary effect of causing happiness issues because my tech level quickly passes my infrastructure.
What's crazy is that I experience this with Progress, the infra tree, and it gets frustrating. I'll then play a tall game with satellite cities that have mediocre production, and it magnifies the issue 10-fold, almost making it seem impossible.

I understand that it's partially by design; if every civ/style could build everything 'on time', then it takes away from the impact of build order and decision making, but I currently feel that even the standard pace is probably too fast. This is primarily why, when not authority, I've played way under supply for the longest time because of seemingly never having any breathing room to build a few units outside my capital (that and the fact I like to focus land units through Heroic Epic city if possible).

Does anybody have an issue with loading initial autosave -only the initial autosaves, the other autosaves work well- crashing the game and phtting it into an infinite loading screen?

@tu_79. I like the resource allocation of Communitu but I want more land. Something like Continents plus. The Navy is still a good addition even on Pangea due to the many cities founded on coast.

I tried with blocky, one rift wide and low sea level but still on many tries I spawned on a island or a stretched peninsula. Could you suggest a good comprimise for landpercent and maxscattering so I can modify to get more space ?

Communitu_79a its's a great map if you want focus on Navy or if you decide for Carthage or Denmark.
Funny there's actually more land in Communitu_79a than Continents. I guess there are more islands in the ocean that make it look like there's less land.

I just played a game as Indonesia, Epic Speed, Huge Map on Emperor difficulty. 13 civs, 26 city-states, Continents Plus. Other settings standard. Community Events mod for more events. I played until late Industrial (turn 338).

Most of the game felt great! Stars and Sky is now genuinely a good pantheon again - in this game China used it to great success. I do wonder if the Ancestor Worship change should be reverted as it doesn't feel particularly strong now. Happiness is challenging (as I expect it to be on this difficulty) without being insurmountable. With such a large map, I was able to found 12 decent cities without having to capture any. Stayed between 50% and 90% happiness most of the whole game. Policies in general felt fairly well balanced to me. Statecraft is quite strong, but that's partly because I have so many city-states in my games. The Zulus were also in this game and they did decently but weren't leading the pack so that feels good to me. The Inca were my neighbours and didn't do that great even with lots of hills and a handful of mountains so they certainly aren't OP either. City-states were OK, although I think faith city-states should still be stonger in the Classical Era. The new works of art are lovely, thanks for those!

On the trade AI, I quite like that the AI approaches me for deals more often. I was able to get several defensive pacts in this game and that would never have happened if I had to approach them myself. I didn't notice the AI particularly conquering city-states any more than previous patches. It's true that the AI asks you for bad deals for strategics a bit too often, but at least strategic tiles aren't a gold mine any more - that felt exploitable and also kind of messed up map balance. I did notice war brokering was somewhat popular, and in particular the weakest civ tends to get ganged-up on (first it was the Inca, then me, then someone else). Which I guess makes sense strategically - you get a strong diplo bonus for being at war with a common enemy. If feels strange though, and I'm not sure I like alliances forming around who is easiest to bully. It did calm down a little once Defensive Pacts were available, but the Inca didn't really have a chance to play anything but defensive in this game. I would suggest simply reducing the AI's willingness to accept bribes. I saw Gandhi declare against someone he had no interest in being at war with, more than once.

With regards to science, I agree: it does feel too fast at the moment. Not game-breaking, but worth adjustment. Touching briefly on ancient ruins since that was discussed, I got a few in this game and it felt fine. I'm pretty sure the AI benefitted from them at least as much as I did. The events in this game were good too (with the events mod). I like the comet passing one because how you can react changes depending on the era. I'd like the one with a skeleton being dug up to be more common, that's interesting and I don't see it very often. I'd also like the natural wonder related events to be more common, I enjoy them a lot. I'm ambivalent about the events that reward you for saving up money, as the game generally does not encourage having gold reserves (particularly once spying becomes available).

Forts feel good! A little too good, actually. As I mentioned in the relevant thread, there are points in the tech tree where forts are exceptionally strong and it's simply not balanced. Specifically, they should not have been given double yields on Chemistry or Electronics. It gets a bit ridiculous.

Spoiler Forts after Military Science :
20201017025410_1.jpg

Spoiler Fort yields summary :
20201019131526_1.jpg

Iam playing India on an Oval map, have chosen Cathedrals and Mandirs, but no other pressure increasing option. Never have used any prophet to spread.
My capital has a pressure generation of 450. The far most east city of the french (capital) gets a pressure of 300. Not sure if this is intended

I noticed this too and it is currently my biggest issue with the current version. The range and power of passive religious spread is just silly. Especially for civs with two religious buildings. In my game it was the Huns, and their religious influence steamrolled everything in their path. Things started out very evenly. From there were five major competitors emerged (Myself, the Maya, China, The Huns, and Siam). However, over time The Huns gained dominance and much of the rest of the world had no major religion. Only the frontrunners survived, and even then just barely - in my case by repeated use of inquisitors. I believe that over time, the Huns would probably have the only religion left - even newly inquisited cities of mine that were subject to their influence soon fell to them again.

Spoiler My Holy City :
capital.jpg

Spoiler Coastal city adjacent to holy city :
coastal.jpg

I believe a key component of this is religious spread via water. The Huns were quite a distance from me, and yet my coastal and island cities were subject to overwhelming religious influence. My land cities also faced heavy influence, but given I was neighbours with several other founders (including The Maya), that is perhaps more reasonable. Note the extreme difference between the influence in my holy city and a coastal city right next door. Notably those who were able to resist the Huns' influence were myself and those with a religious building or the Orthodoxy reformation. Ironically, the King of passive spread - Ghandi, lost the religious game before he had a chance to compete. I think probably from Chinese missionary spam. I initially suspected that the Huns had achieved dominance through their founder - Ceremonial Burial, which gives a great deal of faith. This may have been the case initially, but I think the fact other religions had to struggle to compete comes down to the passive factors.

Spoiler Stage 1 :
Stage1.jpg

Spoiler India :
20201016144254_1.jpg

Spoiler Stage 2 :
Stage2.jpg

Spoiler Stage 3 :
Stage3.jpg

Spoiler Stage 4 :
Stage4.jpg

I saw religious pressure shenenigans over Ocean too. Montezuma had converted his entire continent, so 4-5 civs worth of cities, and I was getting inexplicably high pressure on some coastal and island cities. It's funny because I had 3 religious buildings, including Churches, and Basilicas. He did not have Texts or any relevant beliefs. I sense a bug on religious pressure over water.

Also, very important thing for Epic/Huge setup. The starting techs now take 15 turns to complete. They used to take 20. Needless to say this is a big deal. How is it going to be? Are we going to have to get used to this new balance? I was quite familiar with the older early tech progression, now many things and timings feel off such as monument and shrine (both take 20 turns to build on most starts) settler, wonders are researched way before the policy requirements can be met etc.

Also, very important thing for Epic/Huge setup. The starting techs now take 15 turns to complete. They used to take 20. Needless to say this is a big deal. How is it going to be? Are we going to have to get used to this new balance? I was quite familiar with the older early tech progression, now many things and timings feel off such as monument and shrine (both take 20 turns to build on most starts) settler, wonders are researched way before the policy requirements can be met etc.

I thought it might have just been me, but you are right. Starting tech timing really does feel different.

I saw religious pressure shenenigans over Ocean too. Montezuma had converted his entire continent, so 4-5 civs worth of cities, and I was getting inexplicably high pressure on some coastal and island cities. It's funny because I had 3 religious buildings, including Churches, and Basilicas. He did not have Texts or any relevant beliefs. I sense a bug on religious pressure over water.

so checking, is the foreign pressure actually higher on your islands, or your own pressure lower?

so checking, is the foreign pressure actually higher on your islands, or your own pressure lower?

This is the only save I had, even after I founded a city in between these two the island city still was converting to Aztec religion. Seeing this closely I guess it makes sense, there's 50 cities following it, mostly coastal. He's got 2 faith buildings etc etc. Seems weird still.
Oh, also Fealty, Catholicism has 50 cities as well, but not as many civs following it picked Fealty. It had big pressure on the cities I made on the small continent to the east of mine but Aztec religion was still dominant.

Attachments

• 20201019175018_1.jpg
    20201019175018_1.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 20201019175026_1.jpg
    20201019175026_1.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom