1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New pantheons

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by reddishrecue, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Galgus

Galgus Emperor

I'd be worried that a per citizen bonus would scale too well relative to other pantheons.

Perhaps +1 :c5science: for Libraries and Shrines would be sufficient.

Or would it be better to throw in Temples and all the other :c5science: buildings?

2. Doktor Vic Tim

Doktor Vic Tim King

I got one childish idea here.

God of Smartass - +2 science for each source of Horses

3. otaman1

otaman1 Prince

Fixed that for ya.

4. jlim201

jlim201 King

Goddess of Wisdom- +1 faith Libraries and Universities

Goddess of Beauty- +1 faith from Cotton, Silk and Dyes (All used to make clothing)

God of the Wild- +1 culture and +1 faith from Furs and Truffles\

Food for the gods- +2 culture from Spices and Sugar

I would like to see "God of the Sea" give +1 food and +1 production from Fishing Boats

After this, all Luxuries would have a pantheon except for Ivory. (this means specifically like "+1 faith for Salt", not +1 culture from Plantations.

Unrealistic ones

God of Death- Gain faith whenever a unit dies to a barbarian

Father of the Gods- Gain all pantheon beliefs with the word "god" or "goddess in it.

5. Doktor Vic Tim

Doktor Vic Tim King

Here's a crazy one.

God of Mountain (Need better name) - +1 food +1 faith from Mountain tiles (Including NWs)

God of King Love - +15 turns of We Love the King Day

6. otaman1

otaman1 Prince

We Love The Prophet Day - Earn 300 faith for each We Love The King Day

7. CaptainPatch

CaptainPatch Lifelong gamer

Instead of a lump sum, while We Love the King (Prophet in a theocracy) Day is in effect, just double the city's Faith rate each turn.

8. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

That would be insanely overpowered, but +1 Production and +1 Faith could work (still powerful, though).

I definitely think that some luxes need a boost. I liked the suggestion someone made for a pantheon called Ceremonial Robes (+1 Faith and +1 Culture on Silk and Cotton or maybe it should be Silk and Dyes). Sugar also could use some sort of pantheon, don't know what the theme for that should be (God of Candy, lol?).

9. Redaxe

Redaxe Emperor

I'd like to see 'Monument to the Gods' also reward you with +1 faith from all ancient and classical wonders in the ancient and classical era's. That makes this pantheon have a bit more synergy with Egypt or other strategies that focus heavily on rushing ancient era wonders.
    Right now I think there's almost no reason not to choose 'God of Craftsmen' over 'monument to the Gods' as the +1 production is close enough to +15% production in the early game and the bonus production point applies to every city all the time.

I would also like to see a 'Follower Belief' added called 'Polytheism that lets you choose 2 additional pantheons for your religion. This would be a good choice for wide or ICS civs that are heavily reliant on boosting tile yields

10. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

That is actually a very good idea.

I reckon it's not a typo when you write 2? I guess foregoing a Follower belief is a heavy price, but still, getting two additional Pantheons, wouldn't that be too much?

11. Redaxe

Redaxe Emperor

Well I always thought pantheon beliefs were less valuable than follower beliefs so I thought maybe 2 pantheons is worth 1 follower? Or maybe it could fit as an 'enhancer' belief? Not sure if that is logical though.

12. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

When you compare pantheon and follower beliefs, you will see that pantheons are essentially follower beliefs that don't require a religion, and some pantheon beliefs are potentially more powerful than some follower beliefs, depending on terrain and local resources.

13. CaptainPatch

CaptainPatch Lifelong gamer

Hmm. I can't think of ANY pantheon that had just one common belief. Each of the deities in the pantheon had their own specialties within a relatively narrow field of expertise. [Later replaced by Christianity's legion of "Patron Saint of This" and "Patron Saint of That" saints.] The longer a pantheon exists, the more areas get represented. So, why just ONE pantheon Belief for all time? How about at least adding one pantheon (or Patron Saint) Belief for each Era?

14. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

This would require a dramatic increase in the number of available Pantheon beliefs and (more importantly) it would dramatically increase the difference between having and not having founded a religion, the latter probably not a good thing for game balance.

15. Redaxe

Redaxe Emperor

True, the strength of a Pantheon is often determined by the terrain and resource layout. That said the only Pantheons I've seen that can end up really powerful are desert folklore and potentially 'one-with-nature' for Spain. Haha that reminds me of a map I played with Spain near the Great Barrier Reef and a Mount Kailash.
    Other Pantheons like 'stone circles' can be really powerful if you have several deposits of stone and marble but it requires a lot of time to quarry all those tiles as opposed to Desert Folklore you get the Faith bonus for free

16. GoStu

GoStu King

I'd be interested in seeing a religious belief that let you take two more unclaimed pantheons. Call it polytheism. It'd hard to get it too OP as most Pantheons should be established before a religion gets up.

I'm trying to think of a truly OP combination; something like Desert Folklore + two other faith generation from resources ones could get out of hand, but it'd be extraordinarily rare to make it work, and it'd be dependent on nobody else picking those rather nice Pantheons.

Somewhat off-topic, has anyone else played with Dance of the Aurora? It's no Desert Folklore, but it's not terrible if you're stuck in the Tundra anyway.

17. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Imo. it IS pretty horrible. Iirc. it doesn't give you faith from tundra tiles with forest on, which means that apart from the occasional tundra/river tile or tundra/resource tile, you don't get much benefit from it. In a way I guess it's fairly balanced and it just seems so bad because Desert Folklore is so overpowered, but when I get a tundra start (and don't reroll) I'll usually go for Goddess of the Hunt, because that makes for some really sweet forest/deer tiles.

18. GoStu

GoStu King

I guess the difference between it and Desert Folklore (and between Tundra and Desert in general) is that Tundra doesn't have big stretches of farmable base two food tiles. Desert Folklore is so great because it counts in Flood Plains and Hills, which are perfectly normal tiles.

Dance of the Aurora does count on Tundra Hills, but that's really the only decent tile it works on. I'd never chop the forest out from under the deer in the tundra to gain +1 Faith at the cost of 1 Production.

19. Galgus

Galgus Emperor

It wouldn't really solve the Pantheon's problems, but I'd give Dance of the Aurora +2 or +3 faith on Snow tiles, since they are kind of useless otherwise.

20. Quineloe

Quineloe Prince

a pantheon really should kick in in the ancient era. Basically every +faith pantheon would beat that one, including god king.

That's why most of the suggestions here are pretty bad as Pantheons. If anything, I'd rather see more follower beliefs.

Goddess of the hunt is +1 food from camps and if you somehow have a fur+ivory+deer spawn, GotH is an insane growth pantheon.

working snow tiles for the sake of some faith would still stunt your progress too much. Rather build a shrine and a temple and work a luxury resource. That's 1 food 1 hammer + gold bonus from marketplace line buildings over working a 3 faith snow tile.