New patch and diplomacy

Fabiano79

Prince
Theres some posts about the impact of the next patch on diplomacy on the "patch notes thread", but its hard to see the big picture reading over there.

Someone create a very useful thread about the patch and happiness, so I think would be nice to have a thread focusing on the diplomacy changes.

Im not the best on understand what the tecnical notes actually mean on the gameplay. So, I would be glad to hear what you guys have to say about it.

Seems like the AI will actually vallue trading with you now, which is very good. Also seems bribing the ai in liking you is easier too though, which I'm doubtfull about.

The short version is that you will be able to build relationships with the AI more easily and they will last longer. Also, you will be able to pay off conquest-inclined rivals to avoid attacking you for at least a while (though likely not indefinitely unless you continue to make large payoffs for quite a long time).

The short version is that you will be able to build relationships with the AI more easily and they will last longer. Also, you will be able to pay off conquest-inclined rivals to avoid attacking you for at least a while (though likely not indefinitely unless you continue to make large payoffs for quite a long time).

I just hope they don't make it TOO easy to make friends. I actually like playing peacefully, but there should always be that shadow nearby. I hope you can't just give them 50G to go away as seemed the case on some previous Civs.

Yeah, I've never really had a problem playing peacefully up through King (unless *I* wanted to war); however, it will be nice if you're able to build slightly more meaningful and reliable relationships via trade, shared enemies, etc.

I just hope they don't make it TOO easy to make friends. I actually like playing peacefully, but there should always be that shadow nearby. I hope you can't just give them 50G to go away as seemed the case on some previous Civs.

I agree; I like diplomacy to be a little more unstable.

They did need to do something to allow you to build relationships better. And they did need to do something to allow you to keep warmongers off your back. I just hope it doesn't result in the kind of totally bedrock-stable blocs that we had in Civ IV - that goes way too far the other direction imo. In short, I want diplomacy to be mostly predictable with some unexpected stuff here and there.

It certainly looks very promising, as long as the bonuses are a boost, not a sure thing. If my "very good friend" and neighbour sees me with just two obsolete units to defend my big juicy builder cities, I damn well expect to see that knife in my back faster than I can say "but I had a +5 modifier..."

The one thing that I'm disappointed about with this new diplomacy stuff is that there's no diplomatic penalty for razing. With happiness getting harder to come by, razing is going to seem like an increasingly attractive option. And you better believe that if some punk AI pranced along and captured and razed one of my good cities, I would go all kinds of Captain Ahab on that guy, and pursue him until every trace of his pathetic civilisation was ground into the dust, and then I would follow my revenge into the next game and the next and the next and the next until the taste of dirt and ashes and his own tears seems like all he's ever known. *ahem* my point is that razing someone's cities is the sort of thing that could justifiably invoke a permanent diplomatic penalty, and I think it would be good for the puppet/annex/raze balance.

Its a good step in the right direction for putting positif modifiers in the game.

However the diplomacy will still be terrible if they dont remove: the good AI typ that wants to win and will do everything about it...

As long as the AI typ isnt changed diplomacy will mostly not affect his actions it will only delay it...
for example: At a certain point that AI that is friendly and has a alot positif modifiers will atack you if you are winning especially on higher difficulties...

I think that there actually is a diplomatic penalty to razing, though it's part of your warmonger status

I think that there actually is a diplomatic penalty to razing, though it's part of your warmonger status

Yes if i raze a lot more people starting to get angry even warmongers like montezuma XD

Oh yeah back to topic:

I have watched those treads from diplomacy in numbers. And i noticed that only 3 civs are not deceptive....... this means if they say they friendly they sometimes aren't... Why did they do this I mean thats a little bid unbalanced that a few civs are decetive ok but all of them no now i get it why a lot of people are mad about diplomacy.

To be exactly 13 civilizations are deceptive thats a lot..... And a other few are average.. And there are like 4 civs that can be trusted what?
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=409062

Top Bottom