New Patch? Where?

Adamal

Chieftain
I keep reading in some of the threads about a patch coming out soon. Does anyone have confirmation of this or is it just here say?

Could be heresay, I saw it in another thread and started making reference to it. It's one of those I know a guy that knows a guy OR my sister's roommate's third cousin's next door neighbor. But seeing how many people are having problems, it's impossible for Firaxis not to release a patch within a few weeks of release.

I would look through all the posts but after finding your post about the list of video cards (i think you posted only a few days ago) on page 5 or so, it's very discouraging. It's not possible without a search option. But I'd rather have faster access to forum than having search any time of the day.

The original heads-up about a forthcoming patch was posted from a guy who emailed Firaxis tech support and got a response back basically saying that there is a forthcoming patch to deal with the wonder-movies (BINK has always been a P.O.S and I dont know why companies continue to use it - for those who have Half Life 2, it had problems with BINK sound/video as well). Since then, people have been presuming that Firaxis will patch other troublesome parts of the game - I hope they do too.

It could be just heresay however it was posted on the front page of Civfanatics by Thunderfall so I do presume that a patch is in the works. The tech guy said they are hoping to have it out this week (as was posted last week).

Here's hoping! :)

Quote from the front page of CivFanatics:

Forum member Snackwell emailed Firaxis about a Civ4 graphics problem he has and received a quick reply from Firaxis:

I sent this onto our lead programmer and we're looking into it. Might be already fixed in a patch we are releasing next week. A lot of tweaking on the movies was done.

No specific date was mentioned.

And let there be tears of joy throughout the kingdom. For now...noMovies = 1.

zsc said:
And let there be tears of joy throughout the kingdom. For now...noMovies = 1.

You forgot the mandatory reboot too... :mischief:

For now, we'll have to bear with the tears of sorrow and anger...and the CTDs.

That is really good to hear. Even though I can play the game, it dies often enough to upset me. Personally I can't see how they released this game without knowing these problems.

Adamal said:
That is really good to hear. Even though I can play the game, it dies often enough to upset me. Personally I can't see how they released this game without knowing these problems.

Well if they did, there is one word to describe it: Marketing.

However, I refuse to believe that a company with Firaxis' good name would release a product with bugs in it that they knew about so maybe they didnt see these issues during testing. Who knows and we'll never know.

As long as they fix the issues and improve the quality, then I'll be happy.

well, I personally cannot understand how glaring obvious issues have not been tackled before release.
I mean, nobody saw those seam-issues? Nobody saw that you can cheat during peace negotiations, can trade resources one party doesn't even know? How did all this go undetected.

And the multitude of hardware incompatibility is just too glaring. Firaxis has shot themselves with this release and the harm is done, I wonder what forced them to do this? :(

Sadan01 said:
However, I refuse to believe that a company with Firaxis' good name would release a product with bugs in it that they knew about so maybe they didnt see these issues during testing. Who knows and we'll never know.

Well, you really have two choices. They intentionally released a broken piece of software at $50 each to their loyal fans. Or they have a new QA team that is suddenly and completely incompetent.

Possible reason for early release could be Age of Empires III...game was supposed to ship out december when I heard about the release date (fourth quarter on the Civ III site before that, but december when more details were released). When I heard it was being released in late October I was shocked, I was doing so well in school and now Civ IV would kill any progress I've made in my classes...well not totally...since it doesnt work on my laptop, I just study at school more.

EDIT: "game" in the first line refers to Civ IV, just thought I should made it clear.

MegumiAmano said:
Well, you really have two choices. They intentionally released a broken piece of software at $50 each to their loyal fans. Or they have a new QA team that is suddenly and completely incompetent.

Or Option 3. Take 2 was pressuring Firaxis to get the game out the door (for purely financial reasons) no matter whether all bugs were fixed or not. As for THEY, I do agree with others who have said over the prior week that they blame Take2 instead of Firaxis (if this is in fact the reason).

As I said, we'll never know. As I said before, as long as they fix the issues in a relatively quick time, then I'll be happy.

I subscribe entirely. Never, I repeat, never, expected so much bugs in CIV IV, but when I saw they were releasing it earlier (I share the same opinion of zsc), I should have thought that something terribly buggy was on the way. But I didn't, and now have my leaders' faces only with teeth and eyeballs, and all-black terrain. Hopefully, all the issues will be adressed in a patch to be released. Hope is the last resource we have...

I am still quite amazed we have not heard anyting from the DEVs of this game. You would think they would be posting in the forums at least. You can't tell me they do not have the time. There is at least one person that works there that has the time to post. Not all of them are programers. There are Suites that work at all companies. These Suites should be making a statement on the outcome of a patch, fix, recall, whatever.

I said before with Guild Wars they have a Customer Service Rep that frequently posts in the forums. She has always kept up with the customer's questions and complaints. Why is not Take2/Fiaxis/Sid doing the same thing?

They also can't tell me there is no timetable to when a patch, fix, recall, whatever is on the calendar.

btw where would the devs post? there's no official forums?
yeah it's strange no one said anything, but then I'm used to the kind of feedback you used to get from the blackisle and troika forums.

venn said:
btw where would the devs post? there's no official forums?
yeah it's strange no one said anything, but then I'm used to the kind of feedback you used to get from the blackisle and troika forums.

Well, in my opinion they should be posting here, on CivFanatics in the Civ4 - Tech Support forum. I mean, CivFanatics is posted on the main official Civilization IV page. With no forums of their own at Take2, they should at least be monitoring the release of their game here.

I actually emailed them this morning with the same concerns listed above, asking them to visit the forum and at least give a timeline for patches. If I do here anything meaningful back, I'll be sure to post the reply.

I can see both sides here.

The funny thing is, there are other companies out there who don't advise when a patch is coming out - their mantra is, When it is done, it is done.. Blizzard have done this with countless patches for D2 (even though they have their own official forums). And I am sure that there were some patches where they did advise the community that a patch was to be released "next week" but no firm date in itself. I dont think many people expected Blizzard to release the 1.11 patch for Diablo 2 (D2) since the game is 5 years old!

If Firaxis were to say that a patch was to be released on Friday, but at the last minute one of the developers were to find another major 'bug' and they held off releasing the patch, what would be the reaction? Some of us would be happy and others would still be annoyed that they delayed it . I think it is better they just say nothing about a release date and get on with it.

As for not saying anything about a forthcoming patch is in the works, well I think that is a different story. It is one thing to not mention a date (which by this post, you can see I agree with that), however I think we should know officially that at least a patch is in the works. We were lucky anyway that one of CivFanatics' members had sent an email to their tech support and the person at the other end took the time to reply and mention that a patch was coming out. Is this person's timeframe realistic? We will never know as no official announcement has been made and this person is not the lead programmer anyway.

The DEVs still could give us a ETA to when a Patch is coming out. To stay mute on this whole thing is a Sin.

The DEVS could be in here in this forum explaining what they know and what they are working on. The DEVs could be admiting to where the problems are....what they are....and so forth. The DEVs could be posting here explaining their mistakes.

However, they are choosing NOT to show themselves. This is childish and very unprofessional. This in time could be forgiven...but never forgotten.

Old Dood said:
The DEVs still could give us a ETA to when a Patch is coming out. To stay mute on this whole thing is a Sin.

The DEVS could be in here in this forum explaining what they know and what they are working on. The DEVs could be admiting to where the problems are....what they are....and so forth. The DEVs could be posting here explaining their mistakes.

However, they are choosing NOT to show themselves. This is childish and very unprofessional. This in time could be forgiven...but never forgotten.
More than likely they would love to do that...but I'm sure their contracts prohibit it.

Take2/Firaxis (same company now that T2 bought Firaxis lock stock and barrel) does not want to highlight this issue...no matter if it is one bug or one hundred. That would not be good for their stockholders. They will not willingly do anything that could cause the value of their shares to decline. You could argue that an announcement would be a positive thing...but that is a chance that could go either way...and the bean counters are not prone to take chances. Right now it is easy to portray the issues as limited to a few 'complainers' on hard core fan sites, since there is no official word of anything. No one knows exactly what percentage of consumers are having issues large OR small...polls on sites like this are by definition not valid because the site only represents a small minority of the buying public...and a very special minority. Unless an organization like Zogby or Harris does a true consumer poll the public will not know if the number is really small or large. (T2/Firaxis knows...and any official announcement will lend credibility to the 'rumours' of problems.)

That said, I am one who cannot run the game as is...it is back on the shelf until the patch comes out that fixes it. I am frustrated, but not angry...I still enjoy playing civ3 and it fills my spare time just fine. I will have patience, and hope that they get it right sooner rather than later. If not, well, I'll never buy another title from this group. If they do, I'll evaluate the game and if I enjoy it I'll play it, if not, I won't be mad if the game play is not my taste - that is something one can never know until they try it. I just want the chance to play and evaluate a nominal product...so come on patch!

Top Bottom