New Patches are up

Well finally got some new patches posted, go ahead and take a look, http://hometown.aol.com/cedricgreene/ . I'll get around to getting the site a little more fleshed out at some point but the important parts are there. No sounds for the ToT patch as they were too big, maybe later.

Great news, indeed :b:

Originally posted by Wobbegong
You might want to post this news at Apolyton. There were a few guys in the Scenario League forum chasing after ToT without much luck.

Originally posted by Mercator
I suggest he doesn't... The Apolyton policy is strictly against this kind of piracy. :p

Exactly why I didn't post about it on 'poly, Thunderfall and CivFan are much more in tune with my version of the grey area than others sites, and to each their own.

Anyway I'm already thinking of redoing the patch so that they are circular, meaning FW into MGE MGE into ToT and ToT into FW plus the requisite 2.42 to FW and MP (UK) into MGE.

EDIT: I'll learn to spell eventually

Originally posted by Cedric Greene

Exactly why I didn't post about it on 'poly, Thunderfall and CivFan are much more in tune with my version of the grey area than others sites, and to each there own.
I can't say that I'm really tuned in to the politics of either site, but I don't think there's any grey area here. It's software piracy pure and simple. The successive versions of Civ2 are not free upgrades. I'm not complaining about the "patches" - in fact due to the apparent lack of access for some people, I'm for it - but you can't deny what it is you're doing.

Originally posted by ElephantU
What we really need is a way to open an MGE SAV in 2.42...
Has anyone discovered what the "structure" (I'm sure there's a better word) looks like in both files? If so, then it shouldn't be too much of a problem to convert them. MGE does it, so it shouldn't be impossible. Someone else has surely thought of this before though had it been easy...

Originally posted by funxus
Has anyone discovered what the "structure" (I'm sure there's a better word) looks like in both files? If so, then it shouldn't be too much of a problem to convert them. MGE does it, so it shouldn't be impossible. Someone else has surely thought of this before though had it been easy...
The structure (format) is known. (see Everything about Hex-Editing - UPDATED)

Angelo Scotto made a tool that converts MGE scenarios to FW.
It doesn't work with pure .sav files (only with files that originated from scenarios). Also FW format is very close to MGE, 2.42 is more different.
There is a source code of Scotto's program, therefore anyone can continue and improve it.

Are there the sounds from MGE>ToT that different?

Maybe you could just put up those that are different?

Originally posted by The Person
Great!! Been chasing ToT since I've joind CFC.
:thanx: Gotta check that out. I wonder if it works on XP, though...

It does, I've just played two games without any problem (well, at least for the ExtendedOriginal version).

:love: What a game! :king:

I reinstalled Civ 2. Then dl/d the FW patch.

But it doesn't want to work, first it said the civ2.exe version was unknown. So I downloaded and installed the 2.42 patch. Now it says that the civ2orig.exe is unknown version. What should I do? :confused:

I doubled civ2.exe and renamed the other one civ2orig.exe and now it says install.log is unknown version...:cry: This won't work... Please help.

Originally posted by Wizard
I reinstalled Civ 2. Then dl/d the FW patch.

But it doesn't want to work, first it said the civ2.exe version was unknown. So I downloaded and installed the 2.42 patch. Now it says that the civ2orig.exe is unknown version. What should I do? :confused:
Hmmm very odd, it should not look for a civ2orig.exe. I just ran a test and it worked for me, so my suggestion is to uninstall what you have now then start over. You need to install in English and I used a full install for the test. Before using the FW patch make sure to use the 2.42 patch. If it still doesn't work there may still a .zip version in the civ2 downloads section of Civfanatics.

I reinstalled Civ2, now without CIC, but it still didn't work. The install.log seems to be wrong version. Any ideas on what to do? :confused:

Top Bottom