New Pics!

The third screen, with the samurai along the river, looks very much as though there is fighting occuring in multiple hexes simultaneously.

Needs some more spit and polish, but I must say that battle scene is pretty epic. Maybe I won't be turning off combat animations anymore?

Also, glad to see some modern units. :D

Very nice.

Note that the rivers look much more natural than they used to; the changing width of the river is a big improvement.

Nice to see a mix of mountain graphics, with some non-snow-covered.

I wonder if the 2 fights happening simultaneously is actual-ingame, or is a rigged publicity shot.

I still don't really like the wavy national borders much though.

Evidence suggesting that cities can bombard (with appropriate tech/buildings).
Minor but nonconclusive support for the idea that gunpowder units engage in adjacent tiles (probably through normal combat mechanics) rather than being purely bombardment.

Clouds look nice.

I'm not liking the city art either.. yet. But the mountains and hills look awesome! River and roads have improved a bit. Would be nice if the roads followed the topography better. It's looking really good despite another terrain set heavy on the yellow. Please please release this game free from the client for SP games!

The 2 fights happening at the same time looks cool. I hope that it could lead to some epic battles.

Must say, the battles look *really* good, & the unit art helps to bolster my case that a "unit" in Civ5 will represent a bigger force size than a "unit" in Civ4!

Aussie.

Good they have improved the river and road art a little, lets hope they can do a little more work to bring them up to the excellence that is the rest of the terrain

Looks pretty good. :goodjob:

The resources look much better than they did in previous screenshots.

The rivers and roads are better and the mountains and clouds look great.

The cities still look crappy but I agree with the others that they must be placeholders so no worries there.

The terrain seems to have a sort of painted look. I suppose just about everything to do with graphics is still subject to change.

Anyone notice that in the first pic, the (empty) city is firing on what appear to be early steamships? Anyone with a better guess?

If they are, that would make me very happy indeed :)

Also, it appears (same pic) that in some places coastal waters extend out two hexes. Very cool.

They're firing at the ships in the fist picture. That's fantastic. And the clouds:goodjob:

edit: xpost

I do like the Civ4 Colonization like terrain much more then the (newer?) clean and yellowish one. To me the rivers in general don't look fluid any longer... anyway, Civ5 will not be about the graphics. And there will be some mods for many dislikes pretty soon, I hope.

I wonder what these double shadowish lines will tell, leading from the atillery unit across the screen (in 2nd pic).

Top Bottom