New PICTISH civilizations on the way... :)

Anaerin

Pictish Chieftan
Hello,

Just putting out a feeler to see if there are any experienced Civ modelers out there who may be interested in working with me and contributing a couple of units or even leaderheads to a new and artistically interesting civilization.

Over the last year I have been working on two Pictish nations, the southern Caledonii and the northern Caitti, and they are both getting close to being finished.

Once the two tribes are totally finished, I will upload for others to enjoy playing with. However, it would be really nice if there could be a few extra unique units specially put together for these two tribes. Maybe even a leaderhead or two. I have some ideas for a few units and leaderhead designs and am clear on what I am looking for. Although I am an experienced graphic artist, the software used to create the 3d models, such as nifskope, blender etc, are a little problematic on a Mac and my attempts have not worked out thus far.

The units used so far in these Pictish Civs, all come from units available on this site, and then just re-skinned by me. I will include some pics below.

If you are interested in contributing and working with me on this project, your help would be greatly appreciated! If you are interested and reply to this thread, I will post a couple of sketches of a couple of ideas of new units I am looking for, which I think would be quite simple to produce by combining elements from existing units. I am quite happy to do the skinning and add the detail myself, unless you really, really want to.

Once the two Pictish tribes are complete, I intend to turn my attention to quickly putting together a fully designed Scottish Civ, using some of the units from the Pict Civs and then just adjusting.

I do not get as much time as I would like to work on this, a hobby to get my mind away from my psych degree. I think it will be a few more months before it is totally complete. But it’s getting close, and therefore would love to refine a few things with some specific new models/ units.

If you have never heard of the Picts, they were the indigenous peoples in the north of Britannia (Pretanni), which is now Scotland. They are the ancestors of the Scots. An unconquered people, they survived constant attack from Romans, Vikings and later Angles (early English). They were frequently referred to as the 'last of the free', as they were the only Pretanni tribes to have never been conquered, and one of few never to have been conquered by Rome. They had a very interesting culture and were pretty civilized... except when it came to warfare, then they were rumored to become like animals, and were masters of guerilla warfare. Rumored to have even wiped out the Roman ninth legion. The Romans and Irish knew them as the painted people. A simple indigenous agrarian tribal peoples with a Druid culture, which united all tribes under a confederacy to defend their land. They were the strongest force in the north of Britannia for a very long period of time, ending when they amalgamated with the Irish Gaels, becoming the Scots.

Seem to be having problems uploading pics from my Mac. Doesn't l;ike my Jpegs, pngs, pdfs. Any ideas or advice on uploading small images?

Mediafire and flickr can handle pictures. Sure, it's a bit over the top to only show some preview, but if attachments don't work... You could also write a pm to the admin or even better try to find help through the technical forum. First of all, you might try a different browser.

There was a message on problems with the forums software, and The J mentioned it as well.
So I don't think changing a browser would work...

You could also try imageshack

There was a message on problems with the forums software, and The J mentioned it as well.
So I don't think changing a browser would work...

This.
Funny that no one notices the notice on the top of the site...

ontopic: The skins are very nice. With this expertise on your side, you can already make great modifications without any need of Blender.

It's really funny that you mention this, as the Picts were one of my favorite civs from the Civ GOLD mod, and I recently added them to my own project. I like where you're going with this, so I'll definitely be keeping an eye on your progress. :)

Hey The_J

Thanks for your complement! :)

Hey Jarbarto,

Can I ask what parts you liked about the Picts in Civ Gold? I have not played with that version of a Pictish culture, but briefly looked at it quite a while back. I forget what it was like.

Hey Jarbarto,

Can I ask what parts you liked about the Picts in Civ Gold? I have not played with that version of a Pictish culture, but briefly looked at it quite a while back. I forget what it was like.

The Civ Gold mod version just happened to be well done in comparison to the other civs in the mod; it had good graphics for the unique unit (Cruithni) and unique building (Crannog), the leaderhead (Calgacus) was of decent quality, and I think it even had its own diplomacy music. Also, their leader is Protective which is one of my favorite traits.

In retrospect it was more the attention to graphical quality that I liked about that civ more than anything. As long as you have that - and it looks like you do - I may very well end up favoring this one.

The Civ Gold mod version just happened to be well done in comparison to the other civs in the mod; it had good graphics for the unique unit (Cruithni) and unique building (Crannog), the leaderhead (Calgacus) was of decent quality, and I think it even had its own diplomacy music. Also, their leader is Protective which is one of my favorite traits.

In retrospect it was more the attention to graphical quality that I liked about that civ more than anything. As long as you have that - and it looks like you do - I may very well end up favoring this one.

Thanks! I remember it now. I never played with the civ, but had a look at the elements involved when starting mine. I actually borrowed the diplomacy music from that mod as it was so good, though I may change it if I can find something different - tough though, it was good music for the Picts. Wasn't keen on the version of Calgacus, looked a bit dopey for a Pict (I always pictured himma bit more ferocious) but like the idea of the Crannog. I haven't started on buildings. May do a Crannog or a Broch, or both.

Thanks! I remember it now. I never played with the civ, but had a look at the elements involved when starting mine. I actually borrowed the diplomacy music from that mod as it was so good, though I may change it if I can find something different - tough though, it was good music for the Picts. Wasn't keen on the version of Calgacus, looked a bit dopey for a Pict (I always pictured himma bit more ferocious) but like the idea of the Crannog. I haven't started on buildings. May do a Crannog or a Broch, or both.

When I was adapting the civ to my mod, I thought about using a Broche as the unique building. I eventually gave up and stuck with the Crannog because I had no idea what building the Broche would replace.

And I know what you mean about the leaderhead. I'm extremely fussy about them and almost replaced it in my mod.

When I was adapting the civ to my mod, I thought about using a Broche as the unique building. I eventually gave up and stuck with the Crannog because I had no idea what building the Broche would replace.

And I know what you mean about the leaderhead. I'm extremely fussy about them and almost replaced it in my mod.

The Broch (no 'e') could replace Duns (walls), or it could have its own function as a new building, maybe an early Castle. Basically it was a defensive fort for a village, although also a home. Usually the Broch was at the centre of the village, towering above the other homes. Adding defense to a city would probably be it's function in Civ4. I love Brochs and would love to contruct a modern one someday. They contain a spiral staircase within the inner and outer walls that leads to the various levels of balcony like rooms, all overlooking the central round chamber which acts as kitchen, fireplace, lounge. Fascinating constructs.

I am trying to make my Pict civ's as unique as possible, many unique units, unique names, all units skinned to be uniquely Pictish, 3 leaderheads for each of the two tribes, and eventually as many unique buildings as possible. Obviously the Civ's are an artistic look at the Picts, based on historic when posible, but largely artistic for fun. I have unique order voices too. As I play and test my Units I use the Caitt as my Civ and the Caledonii as an ally, simply because it's so much fun. Makes for a good multiplayer game too.

Leaderheads will be:

Cruithne (First Pictish King)
Caitt mac Cruithne (Cruithne's son, founder of the Cat (Caitt) tribe
Drest (most common Pictish King name, and first documented king)
Calgacus (of the Caledonii, famous for uniting the tribal clans against the Roman's)
Oengus II (responsible for the St Andrews flag, originally a Pictish flag and one of the oldest national flags in the world)
Cinaed mac Alpin (Kenneth MacAlpin - one of the last King's of the Picts, who is often misconcieved as being the first King of Alba / Scotland)

There will be three different Settler's for the three ages, and three different workers.

Hopefully different diplomacy music too.

I am sure you will enjoy it! :)

I am looking for a few new units - all wearing skirts/ kilts (if anyone has any ideas):

A Swordsman with two short swords no shield.
A Spearman with very small round shield, and holding a long knife or short sword in shield hand.
A Swordsman with Sword in one hand, shield in other, and small axe in shield hand.
A worker, with skirt, but also wearing modern day protective hard hat.

Got some great ideas for skinning these units but cannot model them. I will provide sketches soon and see if anyone is up for the challenge of creating one or two.

Put up some images for the units and leaderheads and I'll take a look to see what I can do for you. I'd also like a Pictish civ for my mod. :goodjob:

Put up some images for the units and leaderheads and I'll take a look to see what I can do for you. I'd also like a Pictish civ for my mod. :goodjob:

Thanks Capo! I will put together a few bits and pieces of photoshop illustrations and very rough sketches of individual unit ideas (not that many). I will plan out the leaderheads in a few days too. See if it's possible.

Glad there are people who are also interested in a Pictish Civ. It's already my favorite and it's not finished yet. :)

Just been working out some ideas for buildings, think it will be cool.

PICTISH UNITS... mostly finished

As the Picts or Caledonians were a nation of tribes that existed from approx 5,000 BC to approx 900 AD when they amalgamated and became Scots, I am designing them with their main strength in the early game. Once they get beyond the medieval era, they are much the same as other units, just with different art, which is now mostly complete. The units in the early game will be quite unique... I hope :) :

Early Picts - 5000 BC - 100 AD

Scout = Pict Scout (tougher than normal scout, has hand axe, defend only, loin cloth)

Warrior = None (simple farmers and artists to begin with - have to use guile and wits with no initial warrior unit, just use of the defensive scout)

Archer = Pict Spear Warrior (Naked blue woad warrior unit, with javelin spears, H-Shield, Hand axe in shield hand, wearing a Torc neck ring - possibly wearing the head of a wolf to make look even stranger to the enemy) Slightly stronger than archer and better at melee, although still mainly ranged.

Chariot = Pict Headhunter. Single Unit, furs and kilt, on horseback, with Pictish spear - No Chariots for the Picts (also replaces horse archer - can this unit throw spears as a Javelineer?)

Axeman = Pict Axeman (Naked blue woad warrior unit with two pictish single hand axe's, one small square pictish buckler shield) - Upgrades to Pict Swordsman

Spearman = Pict Boar Warrior (Large Pictish spear, Kilt, Boar Shield, also with bow and arrow - weak ranged attack and good melee.

Swordsman = Pict Raider (squad of 6 kilted city Raiders, strong melee and city attack, Pictish sword, small round pictish buckler shield, large Dirk knife in shield hand) - Upgrades to Pict Swordsman (6 raiders gives the illusion of a raiding party, each warrior not that strong - approx 1.2 strength each, so many die in combat, but quite strong as a group)[/I]

Extra Unit = Pict Brave (An expensive but strong beserker unit, single blue Pictish warrior, carries two swords, no shield, covered head to toe in solid blue woad, dark black tattoos) - Upgrades to Pict Champion - requires Monarchy - single unit with strength of 7 or so, gives illusion of master warrior in combat, when just the same as a group of 4 or 6)

War Elephant = Pict Horse Raider (Same as Pict Raider, but on horseback, can also defend, requires Monarchy. - No Elephants for the Picts - Upgrades to Pict Calvary

Horse Archer = None

Medieval Picts 100 AD - 900 AD

Maceman = Pict Swordsman (same as Pict Raider units (( 4 or 6)), upgraded with leather, chain-mail armour and helmets)

Pikeman = Pict Schiltron (kilt, leather and chainmail, pictish helmet, large spear, left hand holds small pict round buckler shield and long dirk) - or - (two spears, and round buckler shield)

Extra Unit = Pict Champion (upgrade for Pict Brave single unit, not covered in blue woad, just tattoos, upgraded with leather and chainmail with helmet, expensive but strong, two swords)

Longbowman = Longbowman, but with Pictish art

Crossbowman = Crossbowman, but with Pictish art

Knight = Pict Calvary, leather and chain-mail armour with long shield and helmet

Explorer = Explorer (musketman)

Musketman = Musketman (different look to explorer)

I have started to do a few sketches for the unique units that I would like to alter or could use some help with and will post one by one in following posts...

Requested Unit - Pict Spear Warrior - Concept

Ok, so this unit may cause a stir as its a naked unit... we shall see.

Many early Picts were reported to ambush enemys and surprise them even more by charging into battle naked except for weaponry and blue woad paint. It wasn't because the Picts walked around naked, far from it, it's freezing in Scotland, so the theory is that it was part of a double ended ritual, to show bravery and hardiness, as well as a psychological tactic in their guerilla warfare strategies. The blue woad patterns and their tattooed skin would have looked fearsome, and also worked in the same concept as today's camoflage, by breaking up the pattern of the human figure.

I thought it would be fun to have a couple of early units like this, including the Pict Spear Warrior (Archer) and the Pict Axemen. Later units will wear kilts and eventually trousers. The unit will not be explicit as when I skin the unit, there will be plenty of woad to break up the image of the human anatomy ;)

I have attached the design concept and a few other pics to give an idea. I was hoping the unit could hold a small H-shield (a pictish weapon like shield) and a pictish hand axe in the shield hand. (also possibly a wolf headgear, maybe taken from the coyote unit?? If it looks good, otherwise not bothered - just an idea)

Some of the illustrations in the imageshack link show Picts with bigger shields, which is an innacuracy, as is the red hair which is said not to have come along till the viking invasions. Shields would have been, oval, small round buckler, small sqaure buckler, and the H shield. I will post some images of weapons and shields later. Some of the images are from medieval times, a little innaccurate, but gives an idea, and is interesting.

http://img859.imageshack.us/g/pictspearwarriorconcept.jpg/

Hope someone feels like taking this one on :)

Requested 2 Units - Pict Brave & Pict Champion - Concepts

The Pict Brave and Pict Champion can be created off the same model. The later will have armour and helmet, but other than that, will be exactly the same unit. The Champion is the upgrade of the Brave.

This is a dueal wielding 'two-sword' unit. There does not appear to be a two-sword unit anywhere on here, and I have looked very hard, so I guess this will be the first. I did create one 'Pict Brave' already, from a duel weilding axeman, but ideally I would like this unit to be a dual wielding swords master. Also, I am not happy with my current Pict Brave as he seems a bit hunched over like a hunchback.

I am not sure how possible this unit will be, due to animations and all, but I feel it would be an awesome unit, and not just for the Picts! If I had a PC, I would try and create this unit myself. Unfortuenately this is not possible for me on a Mac.

It may be possible to take the vanilla swordsman, and ambrox62's Brit Swordsman, and combine using the Brit swordsman's smaller sword, leg armour, shoulder armour and helmet and put on the vanilla swordsman base. But maybe that is too hard. Ideally, it would be nice to see a Pictish sword, but that may be asking way too much :)

http://img405.imageshack.us/g/pictbrave.jpg/

still to come:

• Pict Raider (swordsman) with smaller shield and Dirk knife in shield hand
• Naked Pict Raider based on the above (for classical era - changes art to above in medievel era)
• Pict Schiltron (Pikeman) with small round buckler
• Worker with kilt and a hard hat for use as modern day worker in vest and kilt.

Top Bottom