New Player

kdavva

Chieftain
Brand new player to the Civilisation series, decided to buy Civ6 due to my love for the board game Diplomacy.

Started on the lowest difficulty with True Start Location Earth, just to get my mind around the series. Started as Teddy Roosevelt and I'm doing well so far. My main goal is to establish hegemony over the whole of the Americas. Started off by settling from Texas up to around Maine, with 3 cities, then went inland and settled another 3 cities. At the same time, I started settling cities in South America, and I now have about 12 cities across the two continents (I think Dallas was my most recent one, which was just east of the bottom of the Andes). I've conquered Toronto and I'm very close to eradicating the Aztec Empire (already captured their main two cities and just need to clean up the last one). My land army is absolutely massive and I've already waged war with La Venta, who are on the Yucatan peninsula. After that I'll send a portion of the army down to South America to hopefully take out Bueno Aires, by which point I'll have about 15 cities across the Americas and be in complete control of the continents. Everyone apart from Gorgo hates me because I'm a warmonger, but I do intend on cooling down once I control the entirety of the Americas. Then I'll work more on the cultural and scientific aspects of the game for a while, keeping my army in reserve. I don't plan on starting any more cities as I want to just be on the Americas. I will, however, eventually cross the Atlantic and try and conquer perhaps Norway or Greece.

Welcome! There is no right or wrong way to play this game, just have fun! Having said that, I would suggest picking a win condition and working towards that .
Have fun and welcome to the civ series.

due to my love for the board game Diplomacy.
Diplomacy and war can be a tricky mix, kill too many things past the classical era and you will be hated for life

Good to see you seem to be enjoying yourself, any question just post, you are on the right forum.

Diplomacy and war can be a tricky mix, kill too many things past the classical era and you will be hated for life

Just to be clear for the OP, THINGS you can kill a piacere without diplomatic repercussions, it is ENTITIES that you cannot kill all the time. Entities, as in major or minor civs, or cities. Units, districtis, terrain developments, kill them as much as you can, it will help you win wars and even get cities in the peace deal WITHOUT diplo penalties (warmongering points).

Just to be clear for the OP, THINGS you can kill a piacere without diplomatic repercussions, it is ENTITIES that you cannot kill all the time. Entities, as in major or minor civs, or cities. Units, districtis, terrain developments, kill them as much as you can, it will help you win wars and even get cities in the peace deal WITHOUT diplo penalties (warmongering points).

Well so far I've captured 3 city states (Toronto, La Venta, Bueno Aires) as well as completely capturing the Aztec Empire's three cities but I don't plan on doing any more warmongering for a while. Germany and Greece have formally declared war on me but I'm really not scared of what they can do.

Well so far I've captured 3 city states (Toronto, La Venta, Bueno Aires) as well as completely capturing the Aztec Empire's three cities but I don't plan on doing any more warmongering for a while. Germany and Greece have formally declared war on me but I'm really not scared of what they can do.

As a training advice, don't get used to a lot of reckless warmongering, as the penalty is much less forgiving at higher difficulties. You can still do warmongering, but it has to be much better planned, spaced and manipulated so that you don't bring the entire world against you (unless you are playing for Dom Vic, where it does not matter).

As training advice there is no diplomatic penalty difference for different difficulties beyond something called First Impressions. Just don’t go above Emperor until you are comfy to war out of the starting gate.
There is plenty of more important advice than going on about diplomacy, I recommend reading the chop example link above my signature. Whether you like using chopping or not you need to understand district cost increases which are also in the post.

Top Bottom