New players are still arriving...

Zombie Horde

ZEDorDEAD
Just wanted to add this topic to let the old guard know that New (old af really) players are still buying civ 4 and all it's entrails a decade or so after launch.

I am a seasoned civhead of 20+years and civ 4 passed me by for some reason (think having 3 kids around its launch did it) i started with civnet then civ 2 on ps1, civ 3 on pc (was my fav) then a big gap and onto 6 then back to 5 and 4 ! i'm British we do things weirdly... especially large funerals!!!

The work i have been downloading and reading about from the modding community here for this game is unreal and the main reason i am posting this topic.

The weeks, months and years of work you guys/gals have put into this joy of a game is bordering on biblical and you all should take a well earned bow, outstanding.
I'm just a tad sad i didn't become part of the civ4 world sooner i could have helped quite a lot with me being a graphic/web/print/3d designer, but at least i get to see the passion oozing from the forums.

Thank you all.

I am like a kid in a civi candy shop think i'll start with Dune rev VIP version...

THE-SPICE-MUST-FLOW.jpg

And thank you for joining us. Over in the CIV4 world all are welcome. And with new projects being started by the day and old ones continuing we hope to keep you around until the heat death of the universe at the very least. :)

I still want to play, but as I've switched to linux I'm having trouble getting it to work. The game crashes when world generation is over and the map loads into turn 1. 😢
(Steam+Proton+GloriousEggroll)

I still want to play, but as I've switched to linux I'm having trouble getting it to work. The game crashes when world generation is over and the map loads into turn 1. 😢
As a professional software engineer who has literally been programming since the last century it is my professional opinion that Linux and Gaming are like oil and water. Even if you get them to mix the taste is awful.

As a professional software engineer who has literally been programming since the last century it is my professional opinion that Linux and Gaming are like oil and water. Even if you get them to mix the taste is awful.
I can confirm this, the taste is bad and even when using wine it tastes more like vinegar

Not sure if he is around at the moment but @Pangaea has used linux for many years with the game, so maybe he will drop by soon and provide some advice.

Haha, I somewhat disagree, but you're also right. The games I play, like Stellaris, Football Manager, Humankind, Old World and quite a few more "graphics intensive" games work perfectly in Linux. I think this is because I chose an AMD instead of Nvidia graphics card, but YMMV. Older games also work fine through emulation.

Civ4 is in that middle where it's too new for emulators and too old for graphics standardisation. I've gotten it to work a few times, at least with vanilla and BTS. But every time I load a mod it fails. And let's be honest, Civ4 needs mods to be at full power. But then somthing changes in a library or in proton and it fails miserably again. And noone knowledgable (as I am aware of) checks how to get an 18 year old game to work again. This is Linux' worst point in gaming IMO.

I run Civ4 on Linux and have for years, currently using Mint Linux and the version of Steam that comes with the distribution. I'm using the "original_release_unsupported" beta. I used the instructions at https://www.protondb.com/app/3900 to install some winetricks, looks like d3dx9 corefonts msxml3 msxml4.

Everything works. I'm using the Buffy plugin, the only issue with it is when it loads it tells me my games aren't eligible for HOF and that I should use an account with admin access. Not sure what that is about but I don't submit games to the HOF so haven't looked in to it yet.

Don't remember what other tinkering I had to do to get it to work, I originally was using PlayOnLinux to run Steam, that broke after an upgrade and someone said to just use the distro version now, so switched to that.

I run Civ4 on Linux and have for years, currently using Mint Linux and the version of Steam that comes with the distribution. I'm using the "original_release_unsupported" beta. I used the instructions at https://www.protondb.com/app/3900 to install some winetricks, looks like d3dx9 corefonts msxml3 msxml4.

Everything works. I'm using the Buffy plugin, the only issue with it is when it loads it tells me my games aren't eligible for HOF and that I should use an account with admin access. Not sure what that is about but I don't submit games to the HOF so haven't looked in to it yet.

Don't remember what other tinkering I had to do to get it to work, I originally was using PlayOnLinux to run Steam, that broke after an upgrade and someone said to just use the distro version now, so switched to that.

Out of interest have you got a steam deck too? been ogling them for a while but only civ 6 runs well on it, not that i dislike civ 6 but i prefer every other version instead and i'm not forking out the best part of £500 for just for 1 civ game to work.

Has anyone got civ4 or 5 working on steam deck?

Thank you, I'll try these tips tonight.

Hi civ lovers, for me the civ 4 bts is the best civ too, still playing today (yesterday), and fortunately multiplayer, we love the strategy of bts, and the option of having one hundred tanks in the same terrain title, a possibility that seems being forgotten on the new civs, we use the Tyrmegamod, it means maps four times bigger, and marathon 4 times slower too, also with 30 ai's and us. It makes our games long for some months, and we can enjoy completely every type of unit an every tech, also the size of map adds logistic as an important thing to take care off (can take 10-20 turns to arrive with the army at the battle if I'm attacked by surprise, as usually ai do). Using steam version makes it very stable if u don't modernize all the units at same time (doing one by one goes well without desynchronize…) I have around 150 infantry units in the actual game... I use a pitboss too, it makes turns a bit faster. Actually, we use aggressive AI and emperor difficulty. I learned a lot of tips, I'm sure most of us know too.

After that intro, I'm only looking if it is possible to mod the AI, or maybe make it more aggressive/harder but without more "economic benefits", but maybe smarter, but without excluding the tyrmegamod we are using... because it has become indispensable for us. I guess no, and the AI still competent enough…( I'm waiting for what will happen when AI had nuclear tactical rockets…1st game with aggressive AI and the mod) but like always, we are always increasing difficulty and searching more funny challenges.

Will read your tips and recommendations, thank u for maintaining this community, I used it several times in my life looking for mods, tips, and other.

Thank you again! I tried a few things, but for me installing protontricks and installing corefonts, d3dx9 and msxml3 through it did the job. Now, I probably have to edit the config file for the calendar bug, but I haven't gotten this far in-game yet. Woo-hoo!

Just wanted to add this topic to let the old guard know that New (old af really) players are still buying civ 4 and all it's entrails a decade or so after launch.

I am a seasoned civhead of 20+years and civ 4 passed me by for some reason (think having 3 kids around its launch did it) i started with civnet then civ 2 on ps1, civ 3 on pc (was my fav) then a big gap and onto 6 then back to 5 and 4 ! i'm British we do things weirdly... especially large funerals!!!

The work i have been downloading and reading about from the modding community here for this game is unreal and the main reason i am posting this topic.

The weeks, months and years of work you guys/gals have put into this joy of a game is bordering on biblical and you all should take a well earned bow, outstanding.
I'm just a tad sad i didn't become part of the civ4 world sooner i could have helped quite a lot with me being a graphic/web/print/3d designer, but at least i get to see the passion oozing from the forums.

Thank you all.

I am like a kid in a civi candy shop think i'll start with Dune rev VIP version...

View attachment 639756
I just started playing Civ 4 seriously about a month ago, and I already have over 150 hours put into the game.

I started playing strategy games as a teenager in the mid 90’s — Lords of The Realm 2 was my all time favorite, until I started playing Civ 4 recently. I dabbled with Civ games in the past, but never took the time to truly give them a fair chance. I have to say that the experience in Civ 4 is truly rewarding. It is one of the best video games ever made, in my humble opinion. You do have to put in the time to truly learn the game in order to get a satisfying experience from it though. I am currently playing on Noble difficulty, and I am no longer face rolling the AI as I was on the warlord setting.

Civ 4 is a phenomenal game, and I highly recommend it to anyone who would like to experience challenging, yet rewarding strategic gameplay experience.

CIV IV is easily one of my favorite games of all time because of its many intricacies and the amazing modding community. Fall from Heaven, Realism Invictus, and countless other mods take an already great game and make it into something else entirely that redefines the word "replayability."

I had CIV IV vanilla on my dad's PC when I was a kid. Bought the expansions on discs from my local game store as they came out. Took a long break from the game, and now I'm back. Just as good as always, and I'm pleasantly shocked to see how the YouTube community of players is still strong!

Last edited:
As the Op states new players still arriving. (im one of them)

I remember being so hooked to Civ3 when I was like 25 I think... Currently I have 42. Back then I had a computer that wasnt able to run Civ4. Then I Got in a job where I was working most of of the day. That computer eventually Got damaged, Got a Gf, more responsabilities and etc etc.

But it was still my dream to play again videogames, like 2 years ago I bought a gaming computer, and Civ 3 was the first game I played on it. (it used to be my favorite in fact)

Tried Civ4 but for some reason I Didnt liked it. Tried Civ6 and It was full of things like the districts, and all that stuff. Tried Civ5 and kinda liked it. I almost finished a game.

Few weeks ago for some reason I found about the scripts for map generation and somehow I Got interested. I installed Civ 4 tried the thing (the diferent map scripts I downloaded) and for some reason I decided to give Civ4 another try. And somehow this time I Got hooked, been playing civ4 the last two weeks, and im having a blast, I started playing at the third difficulty level (prince I think?) and I have started wining consistently on noble level, probably soon I will move onto the next level.

As the Op states, I feel kinda sad for not Joined the Civ4 train Back then. And yes I have found that theres a lot of information, mods, etc etc in this forum, and thats because many people Got so involved to this game, that they invested some of their time trying to improve this game.

Currently im playing with the bat mod and blue marble textures. I must say thanks to all the people that invested their time to make this game a more enjoyable experience.

Top Bottom