New Polling Option

Should We Use the New Polling Option During Elections?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cyc

Looking for the door...
Should we use the polling option of listing who voted for which candidate in our upcoming elections? This new option might help keep our monthly elections above board by keeping non-citizens accountable. What say ye?

Yes - use the new option to list voters choices
No - Don't use the new option
Abstain - I don't have an opinion

This poll will experiment with the new option.

There is no discussion on this topic.

This poll will run for 14 days.

This poll is informational. :)

I would vote in this poll, but then you would see how I voted :eek:

I think it's a great idea, although I don't see it working yet. Maybe you can't see your own voting option.

a) IIRC you have to explicitely enable this option
b) I don't think we should use it in elections
c) IMHO we should use it in other polls

Yes, it is working, and you can see your own vote.

I voted NO, as a vote check can be done easily by the moderators upon request. Citizens should continue to be allowed to vote privately.

Ah, I see now. You just have to click on one of the vote counts to get the report. Pretty smooth. I say let's have open elections. No more hiding behind a curtain. ;)

Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!

I'm not afraid to let people know who I voted for.

I believe we should, because many ppl(including me) don't always post in the thread why they chose someone...

No, for a few reasons:

1 - The thread turns to spam.
2 - Someone can easily lie.
3 - Ask any mod, they can request a poll check. (Bug Thunderfall enough, and it might become a mod-only feature)

Why would the thread turn to spam with the new option? It would actually give people less of a reason to spam because their choice would be clearly visible to whomever wanted to look. And honesty wouldn't be a problem at all because their vote is displayed to all who want to see; any lie would be easily caught.

I think this is a good idea. It's at least worth a shot.

i agree with boots, this would counter the idea where everyone has to post who they voted for to help that canidate. mayb i wasnt clear enough in my first post

Bootstoots said:
Why would the thread turn to spam with the new option? It would actually give people less of a reason to spam because their choice would be clearly visible to whomever wanted to look. And honesty wouldn't be a problem at all because their vote is displayed to all who want to see; any lie would be easily caught.

I think this is a good idea. It's at least worth a shot.

Well, suppose a poll gets 40 votes. You're going to have 40 posts atleast of "I voted for so and so". You're going to have another 40 posts of "oh no! You tied it!", "Go so-and-so!".

I'm against general use of showing who voted for each candidate in elections, since that would just reinforce any cliques we have by giving people ammunition they need to pressure others to vote a certain way.

On the other hand, for the multi-choice option we were toying with for the judiciary, this would give us the ability to throw out ballots where more than the required number of candidates were voted for.

Hmm, one foot on each side of the fence, guess I have to abstain.

seems to me to defy the hidden ballot system which is important to Democracy in general (maybe not so much in here, but still a factor, and role playing is important). In real life it's to make sure no one can bully you into voting a certain way because it's hidden, you can vote one way and claim to vote another way to make sure your boss doesn't fire you for voting for the "wrong candiate." Now no one's gonna get fired here, but it seems to me if someone wants people to know who they're supporting, they'll post saying it and why.

I think we should use it for official polls. Everyone can be asked to explain their vote that way. But in the elections of persons, it is better if you don't know who voted in favor and who didn't. People might take it up personal, and that's not what elections are for.

As this poll shows, when the voters choices are displayed, their posts become crystal clear. In a situation like this, if you talk the talk, you also need to walk the walk. To bad so many people are afraid of being honest.

May I suggest the following:

We hold 2 secret polls on whether we should use open polls, one each for
  • elections
  • other polls.
Unless 75% vote for open polls, we stay with hidden polls. We don't want to exclude people from participating.

PS: We need a new feature for vB4: option to make your poll vote public when voting. :)

Secret polls? Don't be afraid tao.

And 75% for a change? :rolleyes: The will of the people is shown with a simple majority. You must really be afraid. :lol:

Cyc said:
Secret polls? Don't be afraid tao.

And 75% for a change? :rolleyes: The will of the people is shown with a simple majority. You must really be afraid. :lol:
I'm not at all afraid. Oderint dum probent! :D
IMHO secret elections differentiate a "democracy" from a "people's democracy". ;)
In the German constitution, secret elections are an unalienable right. Not even changeable by 75%, much less by simple majority.

And I don't want too many people to refrain from voting. As you know, we want to have more involvement, not less. :goodjob:

Top Bottom