New project - So many options!

McMonkey

----Evertonian----
SLeague Staff
Now the Spanish Civil War is complete I'm on the lookout for a new (or old) project to start working on. I do have several scenarios in fairly advanced stages (Aeterna Civitas III, Bonaparte IV) and some that could do with a thorough ToTPP overhall (Fortress Europe, A Soaring Spirit, Balkan Wars etc...).

The other option is to start a brand new project designed from the start with ToTPP in mind. The two I have been pondering are a Viet Minh, Viet Cong, NVA scenario fighting against the French and American capitalists (presuming Tootalls version if for play as the US/South Vietnamese).

The other option is a WWII Yugoslav Partisan scenario making good use of Fairline's excellent new unit graphics and the map I made for Hans99's Yugoslav Breakup Scenario. I got interested in this idea after playing the excellent Open General campaign where you begin with a small Partisan band and gradually build it up into an Army, avoiding some very tight scrapes along the way.

I'm open to suggestions :D

Hi McMonkey,

Congratulations on your latest release of the Spanish Civil War!

My Vietnam scenario covers the war between 1965 -1975. The main protagonists are North Vietnam (who also control the Khmer Rouge, Pathet Lao and Chinese PVA units) and the South Vietnamese/United States (combined as one). The game is quite advanced but right now I'm stuck on a conceptual aspect of the game and I'm struggling with finding a viable solution.

I too have a long list of scenarios I would like to undertake after this project (many of which I've already done work on in the past), including redesigning my 'Total War 1941-1945' game.

With regards suggestions, I will recommend what we always tell other designers, create the scenario that you would most like to play and feel passionate about!

:eek: I have difficult choice. Balkan Wars, Vietnam and Yugoslav Partisan scenarios are three very good options. But the latter option to move from small groups to an army promise much. :D

At the moment I'm pondering the Yugoslav Partisan scenario option. I think there's plenty of units, the maps there with a few tweaks and it's a fascinating subject. I have some ideas on how the Partisans can acquire weapons and equipment, both from the Axis and from the Allies supporting them.

One thing I would be keen to try out is a more limited number of troops. It's a huge map which will allow the Partisans to evade when necessary but I can see it getting totally out of hand if hundreds or even thousands of units are being spawned. I would like to devise a way to make every unit precious and mission oriented. In the Open General campaign there were several scenarios where Tito's men had to escape a trap set by the Axis and shepherd out their wounded. This could be replicated with events.

Personally, I'd favour a redoing of the Balkan Wars scenario. But, the Yugoslavian Partisan idea certainly has a lot of potential too. That would be my two bits. And, I certainly agree with you Curt that Blood and Iron should see the light of day by someone.

I like the Yugoslav partisan idea. The National Liberation Army, Chetniks, Ustashi, Germans, Italians, Hungarians and Bulgarians are all possible civs. By the end of the war the NLA had over 800,000 men and women under arms in 4 armies, with an airforce and a navy. They liberated Yugoslavia with only limited assistance from the Red Army. I suspect it will be a tricky scenario to design, but a great subject. Perhaps particularly challenging will be the change of sides by the Italians in late '43, and their subsequent massacre by the Germans.

@ Curt and Patine. Don't give up on me just yet, as I have some ideas for reviving B&I. I move slower than I used to, but I'm still in the game. :rockon:

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still in the conceptual phase with the Yugoslav Partisans idea. I was very happy with the pace of play in SCW. The relative lack of micromanagement needed for cities allowed me to focus more on fighting the war. By the end of the scenario the number of units involved started to become a little labour intensive and I will try and use this as a guide for YP. I plan to borrow many concepts from SCW including unit stats, terrain values, hard to cross rivers, x6 move railroads and some use of strongpoints. It's going to be interesting to see what can be done with Lua scripting. Hopefully this will add to the mission oriented feel of the scenario.

Remake Red Front, the greatest civ2 scenario ever for me.

There already was a remake, which Curt, fairline, and others spent over a year (possibly, even probably more) mulling over it's graphics update. and then Alex Colville, one of the original co-creators (along with Captain Nemo, in the day) came back himself after a long absence and made major updates to the rules.txt, events.txt, and other files to take what was possible with ToT at that time into account. I myself would vote for something new (this, however, may stem from my frustration with modern Hollywood, which is almost all reduxes, reboots, revisions, sequels, and prequels of old properties and franchises nowadays, and very little honestly new).

Would there be any possibility of a "Man in the High Castle" style scenario?

I was considering a scenario after an Axis victory starting in 1958 that involved a desperate struggle by the remnants of what were the Allies against a monolithic Axis global juggernaut as one of many options I'm considering for my next project now that KW is finally done (knock on wood for no unexpected glytches), but, as I'm not familiar with the precise plot of "Man in the High Castle," I'm not sure if my idea is quite the same as that series. The thread I had started on that scenario possibility is here http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=552116 if you'd like to take a look.

You do know it was a novel by PK Dick, the guy who invented Blade Runner, right? And the TV series is pure bunk that deviates from the amazing book so much.
Do yourself a favour, Patine. Grab the book on Amazon and read it before you do anything else.

PS
A pity you decided to just go with another nazi scenario. Your religion one sounds more interesting.

Curt, you're reading these posts in the wrong chronological order, at least overall, between the threads. I stand, as of last posted, undecided what to pursue next. ;)

Top Bottom