1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Rising Tide Featurette - Hybrid Affinities and Chengsu Sponsor

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by SupremacyKing2, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Kaigen

Kaigen Warlord

Someone pointed out in the other thread that Chungsu prior to his takeover has a very Human Hive-esque flavor. Han Jae-Moon is basically subverting a secretive group trying to turn human beings into tools for their own power; regardless of his methods, I can see why this would make him antagonistic towards other dictators.

2. Red Menace

Red Menace Prepare to be Menaced

I think you missed something, its not a supremacy trait its Harmony. ;) and yes this is simply the 3 upgrade choices for Hybrids.

its like Ethiopia and Barbarians, well I got used to that. hopefully it gets a bit more distinct before launch why choose Green-Black they have other colors to choose from, they could've easily gone with a Dark Blue mixed with something else. unless someone already has that in RT I know ARC is blue but its a lighter blue.

3. Veras

Veras Prince

You are right. Not that changing colors requires a lot of work, but the fact that they opted for that color and revealed it to the public as it is presents a strong indication that they'll stick with that. I'll just never understand why they did it.

4. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

So they went right ahead and seized my Nuevos Aires Coalition's colour scheme for Al Falah. :(

It's practically identical. I'm not pleased. It's hard enough to find a decent combination, and given Chungsu's choice, it doesn't seem like they're giving it much thought to begin with.

5. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

Nope.

Enjoy keeping certain sponsors out of the game unless you want to be confused out of your mind.

Off the top of my head, I can think of about a dozen shades and color combinations they could've gone with instead.

I don't think they even used Cyan yet.

6. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Thanks for catching that.

7. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

I don't understand the problem here. They used a colour set you used in a well-received mod, so we're criticising them for making colour sets too samey?

I understand concerns about Chungsu, but eh. Plenty of other ways to work out whose units are whose.

8. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

The problem is I'll have to make graphical changes, either to Al Falah or Nuevos Aires. :p

I'll see if I can make Al Falah gold on dark brown or something.

9. poom3619

poom3619 Ping Pang Poom!

It isn't hard to do in Civ5, and you could look in the code of a mod that change contrast to see how it was done.

I wonder why the dev think using different tone of same color is a good idea and will not eventually left them with no color to use, and have to break this "house rule"

10. Galgus

Galgus Emperor

Chungsu's color scheme is far, far too close to Brasilia's, but I bet some modder will fix it.

11. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

Still, this is waaaay to big of an UI mess than it should be. Requiring mods to tune the game to your preferences? Fine. Requiring a mod to see what is actually going on!? Hrm.

How did nobody in Firaxis spot this beforehand?

12. Galgus

Galgus Emperor

Perhaps some shade of blue and red would work for them

13. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Probably because this is only a gameplay-affecting concern if you have trouble discerning colours at a glance (in a turn-based game).

I understand peoples' troubles, but this doesn't affect me. If anything, a colourblind mode(s) would be better at targeting people with sight issues. As well as a high-contrast one - that'd be neat. Outside of that demographic, "to see what is going on" can be translated as "I subjectively dislike the similiarity in the colour palette".

14. Galgus

Galgus Emperor

I don't like it for aesthetic reasons mostly, since it makes them seem less distinct.

It's not a bad color palette on either faction, but Chungsu should have a distinctive one as part of their identity as a sponsor.

15. lilgamefreek

lilgamefreek Warlord

I mean, if you're gonna be updating your sponsors, there's a lot more than just the colors you're gonna be needing to do. Trait icons, dialogue, scalable traits, and the diplomacy agreements and I'm certain I'm forgetting something.

16. DefiantMars

DefiantMars Prince

Related to dialogue, but the communiques are unique per sponsor.

17. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

True. It seems there's a bunch of things to integrate into sponsor mods.

Frankly, I hadn't been following the previews until now.

18. Halbbruder

Halbbruder Prince

I agree that Chungsu shouldn't be green. Why can't it be red like NSA's former colours?

19. lilgamefreek

lilgamefreek Warlord

I've been rapidly trying to catch up over the last two days. It's pretty daunting, I won't lie.

20. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

You guys are complaining about sponsor mods, I'm the one with damned Hybrid Explorer Affinities to make :(