1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Rising Tide Featurette - Hybrid Affinities and Chengsu Sponsor

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by SupremacyKing2, Sep 29, 2015.

1. DefiantMars

DefiantMars Prince

I'm so sorry Gorb! :( I hope my new unit thread has at least sparked some ideas.

2. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

Korea uses the exact same colors as Brazil.

And you're defending that.

3. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

Not exactly the same, but close enough that it's no longer "just" a matter of being bad at distinguishing colours.

They're close enough that you can confuse them depending on your monitor calibration. That's what happened to me, I'm travelling so I'm on my laptop which uses f.lux to adjust the colours late at night. The two became nigh-indistinguishable.

You could say "your own fault for being away from your main PC and using something to adjust colours!"... but somehow that wasn't an issue at all for Civ:BE proper and Civ5. You might be able to ignore the issue but it doesn't change that this is moving out of "matter of taste" and well into "bad UI design".

4. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

No argument here.

But you'd be surprised the lengths some people will go to blame this sort of problem on players instead of the developers.

5. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

If you think the colours are exactly the same, I genuinely recommend getting some clinical advice. I've already suggested things that the developers could implement to improve the game on an actual, qualitative level.

Moderator Action: Recommending clinical advice is too personal. Please keep the discussion civil and on the issues.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

@Lord_Tirian:

If the only thing that set units and factions apart was their colour scheme, then I'd be more likely to agree with you. I mean, I agree that the colours could be set more differently, but I don't think it's anywhere near the level of a deal-breaker people are making it out to be.

Colour schemes outside of actual visual impairment are subjective matters. Firaxis could make them range a rainbow spectrum and somebody would complain that the pink doesn't fit. You will never get a consensus on what colour schemes are the best.

Firaxis could improve the contrast and people would use it as an excuse to complain that they didn't go far enough in improving the colour schemes.

You've already admitted the two colour schemes aren't exact. However, you think they can be confused. I think the overall UI trends mean that this similarity isn't a game-breaker. Opinion. I'd much rather their limited development time go to making an actual difference; i.e. colourblindness options and high-contrast UI options.

Some people go to great lengths to complain about a game they've admitted to not playing (seriously) in a long time. Nothing will change that.

@DefiantMars:

It has, thanks! I've wanted to give some of my own in that thread, but time allowances :(

6. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

There are complaints with a solid reasoning behind them - "The colors are so similar that it makes it hard to read the map." for example. And there are mostly meaningless complaints like "I dislike the tone of that color!" The fact that you'll always have people who don't like the color for some fringe reason doesn't change the fact that having two colors be so similar is completely unnecessary.

7. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Sure, but I stand by the fact that improving the (nonexistent) settings for colourblind players would be a much better use of developer time than picking another colour for people to invariably complain about.

8. legalizefreedom

legalizefreedom Inefficiency Expert

I have mild color blindness and I always have to mouse over Slavakia and Hutama to be sure who they are. Brazil isn't always clear either, but I'm starting to recognize them after 350 hours. The subject is worth discussing.

A lot of the issue isn't telling them apart (because you seldom see them side by side), but recognizing at a glance who it is.

I am able to see a difference in Korea's color, so I'm hoping it won't add to the issue.

I'm thinking they shy away from bold/dark colors because you can't see the emblem as well. Of Course they could go with a light emblem color with dark background and just use the light color for the border extents.

9. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

So you would rather they improve something that doesn't exist than simply changing the color of one of two sponsors that are so similar to one another that they're almost completely indistinguishable?

If you really can't see how they're ridiculously close and how people pointing that out are making a valid point, I think you're the one in denial here.

10. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Do we know for sure that if brasilia and chengsu are both in the same game together that they will have the same colors? That would be pretty stupid. In any case, it should be an easy fix if it is the case.

11. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

I'm glad you asked, my good man.

Because the answer's yes.

Spoiler :

I'm pretty sure if they could've give them a different color in certain situations, they would've just done that from the beginning.

Have fun, folks.

12. Doviello

Doviello Warlord

So it's the difference between light blue border + dark green shading, or dark blue border / light green shading. That's bad.

However, they did change the colors of Integr and NSA from one build to another, and this version being played isn't the most recent (as i've read somewhere), so maaybe it will still change... hopefully.

13. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

well, it should be an easy fix.

14. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

There is a difference between acknowledging that the colours are close, and validating people scaremongering about the game over this completely trivial issue.

I find it disturbing that you don't support colourblind options for games :/ Your attitude is also rearing up, so I'll bow out here before I unintentionally make it worse.

15. Westwall

Westwall Emperor

Right. Needing to squint to try and distinguish your own units from your enemy's units is a "trivial issue."

I find it disturbing that you like putting words into other people's mouths.

Please do "bow out."

16. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Some people want reasons to not like the development team--they look for those reasons and find them because that's what they want to see.

Others, of course, want to like the game no matter what and come up with all manner of reasons why "problems" with the game aren't problems at all.

I don't know, I haven't played BE in ages--but if two Civs sharing similar colors is the worst thing about the game then it ought to be pretty good indeed. It's not even an issue worth bringing up in my opinion.

17. Barathor

Barathor Emperor

It's not the worst thing about the game.

It's worth bringing up.

18. Barathor

Barathor Emperor

What do you guys think of this sponsor colors mod once RT is released?

Spoiler :

What? You can see the differences; can't you? :D

19. oldag07

oldag07 Warlord

Got to be horrible if your are color blind.

20. Red Menace

Red Menace Prepare to be Menaced

Really I just want to know why they gave Chungsu Duplicate Colors of Brazil, I see no reason for it there are plenty of other color-combinations to choose for them, they have Gold/yellow/white/Purple/Orange/Teal/brown/Red? not sure I think NSA uses red already but its a weird shade. you could even use very different shades of the same color with a different Secondary color. which is still unnecessary with the other color choices available. I will be able to tell them apart but that's not a defense, it still doesn't make any sense to Duplicate Brazils Colors when they are no-where near close to wearing down their choices.

I suppose the only one with a definitive answer would be the People who chose to do these colors and the person who said "yeah that's a great idea" it is very much not a great idea.