New sexy UA's discussion

OrderofOlav

King of Procrastination
blabla vanilla bland bla bla historical accuracy bla bla more complicated. OP, UP I don't care suggest away! It is only a dum little exercise, try to be as much leaderspecific as possible though, maybe even replacing old unique buildings/units.

Aztec

Motecuhzoma I

Flower war
City states will never drop to the angry influence level. Defeated enemies have a change to be captured, disbanding captives in your cities grants you a random bonus. Can only train settlers after capturing two cities or being allied to two city states

Jaguar knights
Replaces the warrior, swordsman and longswordsman and does not require iron. Appropriate strength upon upgrading. Combat bonus in jungle and forest tiles. Double movement rate through forest and jungle. Disbanded captured enemies in a city with a garrisoned Jaguar Knight will grant this unit a xp boost.

Chinampa
+15% :c5food: Food. +2 :c5food: Food for each worked lake tile. +1 :c5production: Production. City must border fresh water. (unchanged)

Spoiler :
Possible bonus:
City starts celebrating a 'We love the King day'
+20 :c5faith: Faith (enough?)
+5 :c5food: Food ( '' )
+50 :c5culture: Culture (to much/little?)
+50 :c5goldenage: Golden age points ( '' )

If only there was vassalage in game, then the Aztecs would actually make even more sense. This design might not be that complex or anything, but everything is mutable. I would like to come up with a bit more intriguing or cyclical 'sacrifice' bonuses, something more rewarding because of the early downside you start with. Maybe something related to maize, although maybe that would fit the Maya's more.

Japan

Oda Nobunaga

???
Receive 3 :c5goldenage: goldenage points every time you upgrade a unit. -something else-

Samurai
-some cool stuff yo-

Dojo?
-yeah, cooooool stuff-

Republic of the Seven United Provinces

Willem van Oranje-Nassau

Deductie van Vrancken
Can only build settlers after your first city capture. Your first war lowers every cities defences that touch your borders. Swamptiles in your territory act like citadels. Each traderoute type increases production for the corresponding military unit type.

Watergeuzen
No citizen loss from taking cities and provides a :c5food: food boost in said city. Can convert barbarian ships, but this upgrade is lost on upgrading.

Polder
+3 :c5food: Food from marshes, flood plains or lakes when built on it. Can be built in neutral territory claiming surrounding tiles. Provides the Tulip resource after Economics is researched which increases happiness :c5happy: by +1.

Hunnic Empire

Attila

Scourge of God
No settlers and no control over cities but start with a general and extra units. You will occasionally get great generals for fighting even without cities, which may be disbanded to convert barbarians during peacetime. You can sell workers and military units to the AI or use your extra intimidation modifier for each city razed :c5razing: to maintain your army. Barbarians spawn in enemy territory bigger then yours once you declared war. Free units for each denouncement and cattle converted, which any unit can achieve.

Battering Ram
Can only attack cities but has an increased attack bonus against them. Can be constructed by any unit in neutral forests.

Horse archer
I fill this up once I know more about them

I kinda like the Aztec UA though even if it is a little Vanilla. It's one of the few civs that actually encourages you to ditch your usual starting build order of shrines & monuments purely for jaguars to terrorize everyone and gain lots of culture.
I like the idea of the Jaguar Knight though - they really could keep the same unit skin through upgrades so each civ's units look a little more varied.

If i had to change a Vanilla civ I'd look at Rome

There's countless things you could do with Roman's but I'd have for a UA - +25% produciton towards buildings in the capital. Recieve +20% production towards National Wonders. Capturing enemy cities provides + 25 Golden Age Points per city population. So capturing a size 4 city would yield 100 golden age points.
This would give Rome a bit more utility as their UA is a little weak and helps synergize a bit better with their UUs.
Although perhaps the Golden Age change would fit Persia better.

One More. Greece. In addition to current UA regarding CityStates you may use Great Generals to rush Ancient & Classical Era Wonders like an Engineer. Don't know how this would play out though but it would synergize a bit with Companion Cavalry and allow you to roleplay Alexander the Greats conquests that were then followed up with a rush of city and monument building.

Here's an idea I had for Japan's UA: internal trade routes (i.e. routes where you own both cities) produce :c5culture: equal to the :c5food: or :c5production: they normally produce. I found it interesting that while there are a few civs with bonuses to external trade routes (e.g. Morocco), nobody gets special benefits from internal routes, even though many players use them to boost population in the capital. Giving this ability to Japan would give them something to do when they're not at war, and they can benefit even if they're the only Civ on their continent.

Okay, I like the suggestions so far, but maybe I should add the fact that the new designs don't have to 'work' per se. I am aware that most of the old UA's all work fine, what I am trying to do is to come up with unnecessarily complicated ones, but ones that would be enjoyable none the less. I think the most important part is is that is has to be historically grounded.

MrUnderhill, while that design would indeed be interesting, what ties it to Oda's Japan? While I understand the overall secluded Japan vibe from this design Oda was famously open to Western culture, a new UA design would most likely include something about the unification and his innovations. Also if you want a civ that utilizes internal trade routes in a special way I would suggest JFD's Ottoman split or Tomatekh's Caral.

Redaxe, I see you are trying to utilize a bit of history, but you are also trying to fix the old designs. What I am actually trying to do here is getting completely rid of the old UA's.

I did not just take some random abilities for the Aztecs, I'll explain my thoughts behind the redesign.

The first part of the UA is the namesake of the ability. The flower wars were arranged by both parties, the 'Aztecs' and their city state rivals. These wars were not meant to actually take over anyone, they were orchestrated to get captives to sacrifice (war in general was always geared towards 'capture' and not 'kill'). Always being neutral with city states means that you can start a war whenever you feel like to get some free sacrifice bonuses with no hard feelings on either side. Now the last part of the UA is there because a true 'Aztec empire' never existed. It was a triple alliance between city states with lots of vassals and tributary provinces, the Mexica Tenochtitlan being the most dominant in this partnership. This is why you cant built settlers from the beginning, you have to ally yourself with two city states to 'form the triple alliance' so as to really start your empire. Now however like I said Tenochtitlan was dominant and became even more so over time, this went on until in the end the other two cities were basically subordinates. This is why the option of capturing two cities is also given to form your empire.
The floating gardens were just fine, but the Jaguars were used by the Aztecs in their zenith and fought the conquistadors which is why I felt only restricting them to the ancient/classical era is bull. Besides, they were not an ancient civilization, they were rather young. I think the idea of ancient era units is a sheit one anyway, it takes to much effort to produce enough and are immediately obsolete. I will probably do the same to the Incan slinger and Maya Atlatlist. Finally iron was not widely used in warfare by any of the Americans, which is why the fact that this civ can still produce units that required iron bothers me slightly. It is in fact what makes it so interesting, all weapons were made out of alternatives, Jaguar warriors used swords made out of wood and obsidian for instance.

I think the different bonuses is the least historically accurate part, since they were all religious ceremonies. However there were many different sorts of sacrifices and were not seen as something negative, hence these bonuses.

MrUnderhill, while that design would indeed be interesting, what ties it to Oda's Japan? While I understand the overall secluded Japan vibe from this design Oda was famously open to Western culture, a new UA design would most likely include something about the unification and his innovations. Also if you want a civ that utilizes internal trade routes in a special way I would suggest JFD's Ottoman split or Tomatekh's Caral.

You're right. I guess that would be more fitting for Tokugawa than Oda.
Perhaps this would be better: Each time a unit upgrades or receives a promotion, gain 3 :c5goldenage: towards your next Golden Age.
In a way, it's similar to the Aztec's ability (strong military gives you a non-military bonus), but based around building and maintaining an army rather than straight conquering. Plus the golden age bonus fits quite well with the unification theme.

Moderator Action: Moved to Ideas & Suggestions

America: Reduced diplomatic penalties from war and denouncing a civilization gives the denounced civ a minor diplomatic penalty with everyone. Receive an additional delegate for each Declaration of Friendship.
Aztecs: Gain :c5culture: Culture and :c5faith: Faith from kills. (33%) Chance to capture enemy units upon killing them. (50% culture and faith of the unit's combat strength)
Babylon: Begins with the knowledge of Pottery, Mining and The Wheel. Whenever a Great Scientist is born, a :c5goldenage: Golden Age begins.

I'll expand later :)

Top Bottom