1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice

New SP branches and Luxes

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Cyon, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Cyon

Cyon Cosmonaut

Since world congresse will be able to ban certain luxury resource, do you think it will be connected to a new ecology SP tree?

Since it would only make sense to ban luxes like ivory, whales and furs - we could probably expect more controversial luxes that could later be banned.

But which ones?
    Rhino horns? Baby seals? Giant shrimps?

I was thinking that adopting ecology would give you zero happines for those luxes but a huge happiness bonus for every one of them that is globally banned. Maybe the tile yield for ivory and whales could be changed from food to turism if you ban whaling and elephant hunting?

An other reason for banning luxes could be if the would add opium, tobacco, cocaine and so on. Could be banned for health our religious reasons.

So what do you think?

2. MisterBoomBoom

MisterBoomBoom King

Blue fin tuna / whales / coffee / ivory / the addition of jungle slow growth woods ....all quite possible (hopeful) for this new mechanic. Fingers crossed for MORE luxs....more tech tree branches....YES!

3. Tinker

Tinker Prince

Certain Civs disliking certain luxuries for other benefits would be an interesting mechanic, but not just bound to a single tree. Also, while it would be funny, I really can't see cocaine getting in as a luxury :p

4. Mozzington

Mozzington Prince

Doesn't this mean banning luxury goods for trade. Ie. sports cars, jewelerry, yachts to N. Korea?

5. MisterBoomBoom

MisterBoomBoom King

Something as simple as banning trade of Uranium to Civ X could easily be a World Congress thing.

6. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

The logical ones to ban are things that are considered vices (i.e., Opium or Tobacco), ones that are ecologically damaging (i.e., ivory and furs). This runs a risk of being controversial, though.

7. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

Which is why I doubt it'll be limited in that way. Banning luxuries is just a tool to punish the guy who has seven spices that are now untradeable.

8. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

Too bad Cows aren't a tradeable resource so the Indians can't ban their use :lol:. I am sure some animal rightsers will probably use it to ban Furs/Whales, but hey if they enjoy it I guess they will enjoy it

9. Slowpoked

Slowpoked Chieftain

I could see tabbaco being added but not opium. That would be a good fourth luxury that could be banned, along with whales, furs and ivory.

And then maybe one more luxury being added, like coffee or cocao beans, though certainly not both because we already have enough plantations. You'd need another luxury to balance the loss of late-game luxuries when you really need them.

And I could see uranium and oil being two resources that you could place trade bans on to certain nations. It's an interesting idea, though it would be late game and not a big factor most of the time.

10. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

Given that religions are completely customizable in the game, it would actually be possible to consider any of the luxuries sinful or forbidden. I just hope they don't limit it to specific resources. One of the things I didn't like about CivIV's UN was that the five civic resolutions all were railroads to accept the "enlightened" civics.

11. seasnake

seasnake Conquistador

i see furs, whales and ivory as the real likely forbidden luxuries.

12. Konsti

Konsti Chieftain

Look at this, in the released picture, there are improvements in the top left and right corners. Are these new luxes, or does this prove that at least truffles from G&K are included?

13. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

Those are truffles.

14. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to CivFanatics. :wavey:

Fixed up your post above to make it clearer. :)

15. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

It's proof that the person who has Brave New World installed also has Gods and Kings installed. It doesn't tell you if both are included, though. Top left is indeed truffles, but isn't top right just dyes?

16. Cyon

Cyon Cosmonaut

Seems that the two new SP trees will be Exploration and Aesthices so Ecology will probably not be an SP, sad cause it could have been intresting (Could have given you a production bonus towards recycling centers and solar power plans and such)

So will you just be able to ban any lux without any reason? "the unethical treatment of gold must be stopped..."

17. JanghanHong

JanghanHong Enrico Trololo

use your imagination, maybe in that world, gold is mined primarily using child slave labour, blood dimonds, blood gold.

18. flairin

flairin Prince

On the flip side, a luxury resource could be possible through cooperation and the synergy of a hybrid between two plant/fruit species via trade w/another civ, possible only through a certain tech or perhaps at some point in the new Exploration SP. Think of the garden strawberry for example. I learned today on NPR that a Frenchman created the fruit by crossing berries indigenous to Chile and E North America. By unlocking the secrets of such a luxury item to the world the economic and diplomatic effects could be great for the civ that discovered it...

Imagine that it would be introduced at something like The World Fair or International Bazaar...

19. Greizer85

Greizer85 Emperor

I like it. One thing that springs to mind immediately is improving crops through selective breeding and later genetic manipulation. By trading for different grains from different civs you could breed new kinds of supercrops... Perhaps a cold-resistent Wheat to plant in those far-off reaches of otherwise barren Tundra? :we need a 'scratches chin' smiley, mods get on it asap: Would give workers something to do after they've finished railroading the place up. Ofc this is more micromanagement, and with all the new actions (trade routes etc), there may not be enough turns in the game for all the activities. But I'm sure something along these lines could be worked out. Right now the luxury system is pretty simple and all the luxuries are identical. Hopefully food resources will become tradable at least in BNW, and interact somehow with the new redistribution mechanic for food/production.

20. les berceaux

les berceaux Chieftain

Sad.

In the UN, sometimes trade sanctions for genocide and whatnot are things like depriving them of oil, or refusing to buy their oil. Maybe that will be part of the strategy too. Ruin their economy. Same with nuclear proliferation, I bet, possibly after a civ uses a nuke for the first time.