1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

New Species Of Fish Discovered That Would Rather Crawl Into Crevices Than Swim

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Knight-Dragon, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Knight-Dragon

Knight-Dragon Unhidden Dragon Retired Moderator

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/04/080402164131.htm

The leglike pectoral fin for walking is the clue that this newly found fish is an anglerfish, even though it does not have a lure on its head for attracting prey. Its flat face and forward-looking eyes are just two of a host of reasons why University of Washington professor Ted Pietsch thinks the fish probably represents a new family of vertebrate animals. The inside of the fish's mouth can be seen as it yawns, something fish do from time to time perhaps to oxygenate their gills. The fish is about 4 inches long. (Credit: M. Snyder, starknakedfish.com/divingmaluku.com)

2. Truronian

Truronian Quite unfamiliar Retired Moderator

Which side is the front?

3. scy12

scy12 Chieftain

Meh it is good there is a science subforum because we are to finally able to expel religion from all our discussions. Unfortunately the audience that would rather enter a sub forum rather than the off topic discussion is quite small. And as the bulk of threads here is copy paste from the science daily site. It seems like this forum is unnecessary since it is a bit dead.

These copy paste threads does not help the forum at all.

4. Knight-Dragon

Knight-Dragon Unhidden Dragon Retired Moderator

If you have better ideas, go ahead and do them :p

I am just doing what I used to do in OT, until the volume is so huge that my threads simply get buried.

5. The Yankee

The Yankee The New Yawker Retired Moderator

It would seem to me that the eyes and the mouth are on the right side of the body (looking from the angle that we have).

Interesting find...we've nowhere near covered our knowledge of ocean life. We may never even find them all.

6. Eran of Arcadia

Eran of Arcadia Stormin' Mormon Retired Moderator

It is pretty much certain that we will never find them all - even ignoring those we wipe out before we find them.

7. sourboy

sourboy Awakening...

I don't see how people can not believe in evolution with repeated finds of skeletal remains, and in cases like this - still living species, that are almost entirely aquatic -- but with legs or ground-like movement.

Very interesting!! Here's another pic, one where you can see the eyes and mouth on the right side... kind of ugly face, lol.