New Succession Game

Own

Grasshoppah
The SG forum seems to have gotten a lot quieter since I was last here. I've had a yearning to play an SG again for a while now, and I was wondering how many people are still out here. This includes all you guest lurkers who haven't registered yet. Register and sign up!

When and if, a huge if, I get any signups, we'll decide on a game to play. I'd be fine with a challenge or a relaxed game. This could even be made into a training game for the purpose of injecting new blood into this forum.

Roster-
Own
Open
Open
Open
Open

I'd be interested in trying an easy succession game or a training game. Never took part in one before.

I can lend a hand here, I've played a few teaching type games, learning tons of stuff along the way. Count me in.

Fast Domination should be fine, Emperor on Pangaea can be a challenge if you shoot for the Republic slingshot. Trading and WW management should both be emphasized, it's definitely something I need to work on. If I were to add any variant, it might be zero science. Always more challenging if you can't just rush to Military Tradition and slaughter 'em with Cavalry and armies.

Hey all, first post from me on this very interesting forum. I've been following the successiongames in this forum for a few months now. Found that old game Civilization 3 on the bottom of a stack of old games a few months back and decided to have another crack at it. It's proven to be quite addictive. But I'm still relative new to Civ, so can't get fresher blood than me. ;)

SG's like gridlocked and silence is gold are entertaining to follow but probably way out of my league. This game sounds like it would suit me well though. I play at monarch difficulty at the moment, but so far that has been pretty easy, so I'd love to go at something a bit more challenging.

That being said, I'm a total newb and still haven't figured out what civ3 vanilla is. :confused:(I have Civ3+PTW+Conquerors)

If you got an open spot. I'm not a warmonger in my games, I've actually played a few games with cultural and space race victory off to force me into more war to get better at it.

Fast Domination should be fine, Emperor on Pangaea can be a challenge if you shoot for the Republic slingshot. Trading and WW management should both be emphasized, it's definitely something I need to work on. If I were to add any variant, it might be zero science. Always more challenging if you can't just rush to Military Tradition and slaughter 'em with Cavalry and armies.

I think we should go for a good, foody start as well to practice with four-turn settler factories. Let's go for the Rep sling. Emphasizing trading is a good idea, but I don't think we should do zero science. Almost as important as trading skills is the ability to decide whether you buy or research techs. Forcing ourselves to take one path is kind of making it easier on ourselves. A big element of trading is trading for partially researched techs, and having no science would take that away.

Hey all, first post from me on this very interesting forum. I've been following the successiongames in this forum for a few months now. Found that old game Civilization 3 on the bottom of a stack of old games a few months back and decided to have another crack at it. It's proven to be quite addictive. But I'm still relative new to Civ, so can't get fresher blood than me. ;)

SG's like gridlocked and silence is gold are entertaining to follow but probably way out of my league. This game sounds like it would suit me well though. I play at monarch difficulty at the moment, but so far that has been pretty easy, so I'd love to go at something a bit more challenging.

That being said, I'm a total newb and still haven't figured out what civ3 vanilla is. :confused:(I have Civ3+PTW+Conquerors)

If you got an open spot. I'm not a warmonger in my games, I've actually played a few games with cultural and space race victory off to force me into more war to get better at it.

Welcome to CFC and, more specifically, the all-important SG forum:cool:. By "Conquerors" I assume you mean "Conquests"? Do you have patch 1.22 and NoAIPatrol=0? These are important things. Civ3 vanilla is a fancy word for Civ3 without the expansion packs.

Here are some benefits of using this forum, just to suggest a few. I personally just use MapStat, but a lot of people like CivAssist. If you don't have problems with flooding your computer with programs created by strangers over the internet, here's some very useful tools:

CivAssist II
Combat Calc
MapStat

This should be a challenging game. Pangaea automatically means a quicker tech pace, and Emperor can be difficult, especially with only one free content citizen.

Ah, so you're a peace-loving builder? That pretty much has to change if you want to beat Deity!

Who wants to start it? Let's get a foody start and set up a four-turn settler factory. Choose whatever civ (preferably a less traditionally chosen one), play 20 turns, and post a very detailed log. Early early game is very important for emperor when you have to start using the luxury slider from the very beginning.

Doh, yes, meant Conquests, I have it patched already. The .ini thing I didn't know about yet, but I'll add it. That being said, barbs never seem to have a problem to find me. Last game I played they actually ignored a rival town with one defender to travel 5 turns further to threaten my highly defended frontier city in a choke.

As for starting, I prefer to watch you guys play first to see where we'll be going and how. For me personally, the first turns of the games, getting your expansion going by settling and exploring are still the most challenging.

Doh, yes, meant Conquests, I have it patched already. The .ini thing I didn't know about yet, but I'll add it. That being said, barbs never seem to have a problem to find me. Last game I played they actually ignored a rival town with one defender to travel 5 turns further to threaten my highly defended frontier city in a choke.

As for starting, I prefer to watch you guys play first to see where we'll be going and how. For me personally, the first turns of the games, getting your expansion going by settling and exploring are still the most challenging.

Yep, barbs do this like that; that's the problem :p. It's not just for barbs though; it's for AIs too. I don't remember exactly what, but when you're playing a deity or sid game with ridiculous numbers of AIs to kill, having NoAIPatrol=0 helps make the AI stop doing certain silly things (like move all of their units around in circles for no reason which takes up a ridiculous amount of your time).

And I meant to put this in my last post. Read this article, especially the four-turn settler factory part. It is super key.

Overseer, do you want to start and post a very detailed turnlog?

Great to see another SG taking off! Good luck in your endeavor (not a sign up)

Own said:
Ah, so you're a peace-loving builder? That pretty much has to change if you want to beat Deity!

I get very tired of comments like this. Seriously check Drakan's article Or check one of the top three saves here (pretty sure Tone didn't fight any wars in his game). Or check here You can check the diplomatic games if you like also, and I suspect a few of the 20k games didn't have any war either (I know Sanabas did an OCC Deity 20k game with Spain that's in the HoF somewhere). You can also find a virtually no military Sid game by Kronic I believe around here somewhere.

Probably no less tired than some are of being told about some special games that are played another way. I am sure there are all types of paths to victory, so what?

I get very tired of comments like this. Seriously check Drakan's article Or check one of the top three saves here (pretty sure Tone didn't fight any wars in his game). Or check here You can check the diplomatic games if you like also, and I suspect a few of the 20k games didn't have any war either (I know Sanabas did an OCC Deity 20k game with Spain that's in the HoF somewhere). You can also find a virtually no military Sid game by Kronic I believe around here somewhere.

Spoiler :
Psst. I know; I've won 5CC Deity via diplo on a large map, among other peaceful deity games. In fact, the majority of my deity wins were mostly won by building and diplomacy. It's still good to learn warmongering skills.

But learning warmongering skills is still very important. What happens if you get a start like Tricky's in "Now THIS is a bad start"? Your start doesn't even have to be that bad. Not being a warmonger can work fine with a good start or on an island map. But if you want to be the player that can murder deity under almost any circumstances, you need to know how to fight. Take a look at Gozpel's "Auto Workers Re-loaded." I can't even imagine how that game could've been won without war.

I may be able to do it tomorrow, but I do have a busy schedule then. I got a Demogame turn-chat at 5PM and I'm still working on Eldar08. I can hunt up a nice start, at least. We'll see.

Lurker's comment: Don't make it too easy, guys; even with a few Regent players in the team an Emperor game is usually a walk-over. Instead of cherry-picking a start, you could consider going random.

I'd be happy to join in provided I can run C3C on Windows 7 which I just installed on Friday. It should work fine since it works great on Vista but I'll try it out later today just to be sure.

I usually play normal games on demigod and sometimes go for always war games on monarchy or even emperor. I do agree with Optional that emperor with a good start might be too easy. Demigod would make it more interesting or then a not-so-good start on emperor. But whatever you decide, I'm game.

Edit: well, I tried it out and it starts and loads a save normally so I should be good to go.

Top Bottom