New Tech Quotes

flaming_iles

Warlord
According to the preview, there will be a few new technologies in BTS.
What would you like Leanord Nimoy to say when you have researched them?

The best ones I could find were:

Laser:
There are relatively few experiments in atomic physics these days that don't involve the use of a laser. - Eric Allin Cornell

Superconductor:
Couldn't find one :blush:

Stealth:
Stealth is the most important paradigm in air warfare since the invention of the jet engine. - Carlo Kopp

Hmmm...

Star Trek Franchise
Live long and prosper!

STAR TREK RULES!!!!!!!!!

D. Richard Feynman (Nanotech)
There's plenty of room at the bottom
(actually a lecture title)

Why cannot we write the entire 24 volumes of the Encyclopedia Brittanica on the head of a pin?

Superconductor:
Heike Kamerlingh Onnes said:
Mercury has passed into a new state, which on account of its extraordinary electrical properties may be called the superconductive state
. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heike_Kamerlingh_Onnes
I'm not a physicist but probably this researcher has something to say as the father of it.

On the fringe, Carl Sagan talks about Bussard Ramjets in the 1980 PBS tv series Cosmos. I was wondering if he has any good quotes in there, but I don't have it, and it's probably copyrighted.

Laser:
Bill Clinton said:
I am going to focus like a laser beam on this economy.
(American 42nd US President (1993-2001), b.1946)

And of course the Austin Powers one, but probably too expensive.

Theodore Maiman invented the first working one, but I couldn't google anything he said.

War of the Worlds (HG Wells) Chapter Six The Heat-Ray in the Chobham Road said:
It is still a matter of wonder how the Martians are able to slay men so swiftly and so silently. Many think that in some way they are able to generate an intense heat in a chamber of practically absolute non-conductivity. This intense heat they project in a parallel beam against any object they choose, by means of a polished parabolic mirror of unknown composition, much as the parabolic mirror of a lighthouse projects a beam of light. But no one has absolutely proved these details. However it is done, it is certain that a beam of heat is the essence of the matter. Heat, and invisible, instead of visible, light. Whatever is combustible flashes into flame at its touch, lead runs like water, it softens iron, cracks and melts glass, and when it falls upon water, incontinently that explodes into steam.

This one is actually probably free by now. :lol:

Stealth:

2 Samuel 19:3 said:
So the people went by stealth into the city that day, as people who are humiliated steal away when they flee in battle.

Sun Tzu said:
O divine art of subtlety and secrecy! Through you we learn to be invisible, through you inaudible; and hence we can hold the enemy's fate in our hands.
Lots of different translations though

Laser:
There are relatively few experiments in atomic physics these days that don't involve the use of a laser. - Eric Allin Cornell

Maybe it's just my sick sense of humour, but I would prefer:

If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!
- Evil, in Time Bandits

:lol:

EDIT: For Stealth I would go with Sun Tzu:
Of all those in the army close to the commander none is more intimate than the secret agent; of all rewards none more liberal than those given to secret agents; of all matters none is more confidential than those relating to secret operations.
or
Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.

Stealth:

"The Ravenous Bugblatter Beast is so mind-bogglingly stupid that it thinks that if you can't see it, it can't see you."
-Douglas Adams (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

For Stealth I would go with Sun Tzu:
Of all those in the army close to the commander none is more intimate than the secret agent; of all rewards none more liberal than those given to secret agents; of all matters none is more confidential than those relating to secret operations.
or
Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
The second quote is pretty good- seems to describe a stealth bomber perfectly- but the first one seems more like Espionage to me.

Mecha:

Job 40:18 said:
His bones [are as] strong pieces of brass; his bones [are] like bars of iron.
describing the Behemoth.

War of the Worlds said:
And this Thing I saw! How can I describe it? A monstrous tripod, higher than many houses, striding over the young pine trees, and smashing them aside in its career; a walking engine of glittering metal, striding now across the heather;

"Uh, oh...Tokugawa says, 'Say Hello to my little friend!!'"
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babe...ra-kikai.co.jp/products/other/LW.htm&lp=ja_en

Stealth:
Robin Williams said:
“What is a stealth bomber? It's a bomber that doesn't show up on radar, and you can't see it. Then we don't need one.”
Kind of doesn't fit the theme.

"Superconductor:
Couldn't find one "

moore's law is an obvious choice
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_law

EDIT - I thought I read SEMIconductor. Obviously the wrong quote for SUPERconductor :blush:

“What is a stealth bomber? It's a bomber that doesn't show up on radar, and you can't see it. Then we don't need one.” - Robin Williams

“No one ever approaches perfection except by stealth, and unknown to themselves.” - William Hazlitt

“We manipulate nature as if we were stuffing an Alsatian goose. We create new forms of energy; we make new elements; we kill crops; we wash brains. I can hear them in the dark sharpening their lasers.” - Erwin Chargaff

“The atoms become like a moth, seeking out the region of higher laser intensity.” - Steven Chu

Superconductor- Couldn't Find One

There's an obvious one you missed, Healz:

Stealth
"Airpower in close support is the difference between victory and defeat. Whoever can control the air and exploit that control well, will win."

:)

laser: "And God said, LET THERE BE LIGHT, and there was light." Genesis 1:3

Stealth: 'We seek him here, we seek him there,
Those Frenchies seek him everywhere.

Is he in heaven?
—Is he in hell?
That demmed, elusive Pimpernel.''
—Sir Percy Blakeney (ch.12)

No, but I can imitate the Wraith, Battlecruiser, Hydralisk, Ultralisk, Mutalisk, and Mengsk's voices in Starcraft. :)

Yes.. :dubious: ..and I'm sure the girls go crazy over it.. :smug: hehe

Seriously (snicker:mischief: ) though, yet another comedy quote:

You know, I have one simple request. And that is to have sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!

Not a huge Austin fan myself (I prefer the Time Bandits one, but that probably dates me.. :old: ), but it could work.

Yes, I did miss the quote for stealth in my signature but I always thought of that as being around WW2 fighters/Jet Fighters. I should mod that one into my own game. I can't do Leonard Nimoy, but I can do quotes with a lot more expression in my voice then him.

"Ready all Phasers Mr Sulu." Captain Kirk. (For lasers)

No, but I can imitate the Wraith, Battlecruiser, Hydralisk, Ultralisk, Mutalisk, and Mengsk's voices in Starcraft. :)

That reminds me, we need a new Natiohood quote. How about:

"My life for Auir!" -Protoss Zealot

Or for Biology:

"Spawn more Overlords!" -The Overmind

:p Suuuch a loser.

Top Bottom