New Technology Tree Analysis

AriochIV

Colonial Ninja
We've had enough screenshots now that I've been able to put together an accurate reconstruction of the tech tree through the middle of the Medieval Era. The second half of that era that's not confirmed is grayed out (the non-grayed out techs are confirmed in their contents, but not in the positions or prerequisites), and the new items are annotated. Ignore the "XX Turns" costs, as they're not relevant.

(click on image for larger version)

Compare with the current tech tree (by vexing) here.

Aside from things moving around a lot (Classical Era now has two tiers), there aren't that many new things in the early going. There's only two new technologies; Drama and Poetry in the Classical Era, and an unknown Medieval tech following Currency, of which we have glimpsed only part of the icon. And there's no buildings or units we don't already know about; only the one unidentified ability in Civil Service.

edit: I have added in the rest of the tech tree, along with the few techs we've seen details of. Again, the positions of the techs in the gray area are not known.

Does Theology lead to Chivalry?

It seems like the beelining has been cut down a lot. That being said, I really, really hope that they do something about that huge jump to Compass, because it's already an easy way into the Medieval era, and it looks like this tree (if the grey is true) makes it an even more desirable choice in that regard

Assuming the info for Education is correct I am thrilled to see PT and ND have been moved elsewhere - current version makes Education so powerful that games tend to have too much of a sameness. Now should be more real choice...

My opinion is that is becoming too much like the Civ3 awfulness where you have to research everything before moving on. There are advantages and disadvantages to beelining but the choice should be up to the user. What I think they should do is not change the beelines but to make such a choice more difficult and have greater consequences by increasing the costs of the backfill techs as the result.

Assuming the info for Education is correct I am thrilled to see PT and ND have been moved elsewhere - current version makes Education so powerful that games tend to have too much of a sameness. Now should be more real choice...

I agree with you, that is one of the best (and most needed) changes.

My opinion is that is becoming too much like the Civ3 awfulness where you have to research everything before moving on. There are advantages and disadvantages to beelining but the choice should be up to the user. What I think they should do is not change the beelines but to make such a choice more difficult and have greater consequences by increasing the costs of the backfill techs as the result.

Seems to be too complicated to implement and it can easily disbalance the whole game .

I am of opinion that real technology is a web... you can't advance very far up one branch before limitations in the others will prevent going much futher. This is why aboriginies don't have nukes. Choice is great, but you shouldn't practically be able to advance much more than 2 tiers ahead of your last completed tier.

It doesn't look so bad. The area around Civil Service seems a bit too much, but it does look like you can still 'beeline' to Steel/etc without going to the top of the tree.

Same for going to Education and not picking up the Medieval unit techs.

You've got choices of Faith (Theology), Gold (Currency/another tech), units/production (bottom), tech (general up top + Civil Service), culture & happiness (spread around). You don't need them all to progress.

Interesting, I bet where you left off is where the new mystery era will begin. Is Galleass confirmed? I hope it is. Where is the caravel?

Chivalry beeline (vanilla)
1. Pottery
2. Writing
3. Philosophy
4. Calendar
5. Archery
6. Mathematics
7. Animal Husbandry
8. Trapping
9. Wheel
10. Horseback
11. Civil Service
12. Currency
13. Chivalry

Chivalry G&K
1. Pottery
2. Writing
3. Drama
4. Animal Husbandry
5. Archery
6. Trapping
7. Wheel
8. Horseback
9. Mathematics
10. Currency
11. Civil Service
12. (new tech)
13. (??)
14. Chivalry

This assuming that Philosophy is not in the Chivalry line which would be an interesting choice whether to bypass that until Chivalry (unlike now).

Interesting, I bet where you left off is where the new mystery era will begin. Is Galleass confirmed? I hope it is. Where is the caravel?

there does seem to be a new ship at Compass, and a french article mentioned the name as Galleass, so we're going with that.

The Caravel is likely still at Astronomy, but we haven't seen that part of the tech tree yet.

Chivalry beeline
[snip]
This assuming that Philosophy is not in the Chivalry line which would be an interesting choice whether to bypass that until Chivalry (unlike now).

It does seem that Knights will be harder to get now, I agree.

It just depends on where the other connections are, and if they exist.

Though, it does bring you through the 'heart' of the tech tree, gaining gold/food/trade routes/tech/culture/etc - all things a Steel beeline will miss (though it'll get production).

I doubt the NC will be something to ignore for that long though (assuming it's still a +50% boost to tech).

It does seem that Knights will be harder to get now, I agree.

It just depends on where the other connections are, and if they exist.

Though, it does bring you through the 'heart' of the tech tree, gaining gold/food/trade routes/tech/culture/etc - all things a Steel beeline will miss (though it'll get production).

I doubt the NC will be something to ignore for that long though (assuming it's still a +50% boost to tech).

Good points. One really should add Calendar and Philosophy along the way, thus making Chivalry +3 techs compared to the current beeline. Assuming the GP and finishers are not in play more, the impact of Chivalry (and their overpowered units) will likely not be as much of a game-changer. I guess that's one way of changing that.

Machinery no longer unlocks Armory (source: 1UP video).

Glad to finally see a little bit of the tech tree, although obviously we're missing a lot still. Like others have said, glad Education isn't quite as powerful as before (although it's still really strong, since Universities are).

This is very nicely put together.

Hopefully we'll have the rest of the tree available soon.

Thanks.

The DLC wonders probably stay in the same techs. The spread out of wonders is nice so AI's can't get them very fast. :)

Top Bottom