1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

New techs?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Putmalk, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Putmalk

Putmalk Chieftain

Something odd struck me. The blog post very specifically numbers exactly how much of new things will be in ("27 new units, 13 new buildings, 9 new wonders, and 9 new playable civilizations"), but leaves out technologies? In the post it does say: "Gods & Kings will add more techs, units, buildings, Wonders, and playable Civilizations", but there's no number attached to it, and I can't find any new techs in the screenshots.

So, speculation time?

What kind/how many new techs do you think will be in the game?

I'd just throw some out there:
    1. Calculus
    2. Drama
    3. Music (although Acoustics is already in...)
    4. Espionage
    5. Feudalism
    6. Piracy
    7. Colonization
    8. Medicine (read: not Penicilin, but some Industrial-era stuff)

Any other thoughts?

2. Androrc the Orc

Androrc the Orc Chieftain

I like some of those, but I think "Medicine" is a bad name for an industrial-era technology. Medicine existed much earlier than that. I think in fact that choice of name "Penicillin" for the tech in Civ5 was rather good.

3. Fern

Fern Chieftain

Some Classical Era techs would be great, seriously, the current Classical Era is just too short.

Especially if you consider how many things were developed by the Greeks and the Romans.

4. Putmalk

Putmalk Chieftain

Pulling from my own mod here, and yes, more Classical techs are needed, I was thinking "Code of Laws, Ballistics, Stirrups (medieval?)".

5. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Chieftain

Bring back Publishing and Agriculture (lol), and give starting techs to civs. After all, Publishing and Agriculture were going to be in the original. No reason not to put them back in.

6. Fern

Fern Chieftain

Now that you mention it, Code of Laws seems rather obvious. Maybe a new prereq. for the Courthouse? :)

As for the others, I'm not sure, but they do look like interesting possibilities.

7. bcaiko

bcaiko Chieftain

Some Future Techs would be nice, other than those needed for Science Victory. A NUCLEAR DEFENSE SHIELD of some sort in the Future Era is, IMHO, a necessary add.

8. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

Calculus, Ballistics and Publishing are all in the files, wouldn't be suprised to see them included. I'm also hoping to see a couple Rennaisance religious techs, mainly because as it stands with my mods if I'm doing a religious one at that time I have to dump it in Theology or Acoustics, each one now has about nine wonders when you take all of ours into account

9. black213

black213 Chieftain

Maybe Cartography. Map trading?

10. Putmalk

Putmalk Chieftain

I would like this. It could also give +1 Sight to ships.

Come to think of it, would Map trading be one of those "improved diplomacy" features? That would make sense to include Cartography if it was.

11. GeoModder

GeoModder Chieftain

I'm guessing an extra tech regarding flight.
    Since "Flight" in CiV - G&K's seem to have bi/tri-planes as units, monoplanes need another spot. Unless of course fighters have also moved to Radar (with bombers). Also, the aircraft carrier is moved.

12. Androrc the Orc

Androrc the Orc Chieftain

Agriculture is in the original. Every civ starts with it.

13. Putmalk

Putmalk Chieftain

I'm guessing we'll be seeing an expanded Industrial and Modern era too. (lots of new units).

What differentiates Biplanes and Fighters? Their engines and designs? Maybe Radial Engines?

14. Scarpa

Scarpa Chieftain

Aerodynamics?

15. spider1

spider1 Chieftain

Agreed, that would be a good one. I'd love to see the return of map trading.

16. elprofesor

elprofesor Pluri-editing poster

Thirded!

17. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

Ah! let the speculation begin I love it.

18. Describer

Describer Chieftain

Standard game is too small for map trading to be viable. They'll have to increase its size for this. Although, they'd better do it anyway, because 11 religions is more than there are civs in standard game.

I hope that classic era techs will be doubled, and era itself will be as long as medieval one.

19. anandus

anandus Errorist

I'm also hoping there'll be more classic techs, the classical period is way to short.

Maybe will have some religious-oriented techs?

Does anyone know how many new techs there'll be?

Maybe jet engines?

20. Fern

Fern Chieftain

That's the thing, I can't find an article which states the no. of new techs.

Or maybe Advanced Flight, like in Civ IV? But I'd rather they find a new name for this tech instead of simply adding "advanced" before another tech name.