1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New terrain graphics

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by TheMarshmallowBear, Jun 21, 2013.

1. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

So.... something that hasn't really been speculated or discussed is the fact that we're getting new terrain graphics for at least forest and jungle tiles... but why? Why did the devs change the graphics (I mean, now they look more like forest and jungle) but why change them? Is it only that? If one was to think about it then let's be honest the graphic's engine is bit buggy with the farms dealio, which more or less fail to correctly draw (which I think is present even on hig-end machines).

Do you think they've optimized the engine a little bit (re-written the farm system, maybe allowing us to create new improvements without having the farm crash bug?)

What is your view on that?

2. les berceaux

les berceaux Chieftain

Wait, there are new graphics for terrain?! Is this only recently announced??

3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I think they just prettied things up a bit. The railroads look nicer too.

4. les berceaux

les berceaux Chieftain

I noticed how classy the railroads look...Just looked through the screenshots stickie thread and I've gotta be honest, the forest icons look the same to me. Maybe it'll be more evident in-game.

5. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

Hopefully they also worked on the orange trees to make them look less monotonous.

6. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

The deciduous forests have coniferous trees interspersed in them to break it up a bit. The jungles have better defined foliage.

7. bagas12

bagas12 Chieftain

could someone give us some sort of compare image? I did not noted this change.

8. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

Here,you can see there's diferent trees in the forests, and while its subtle it does help in breaking them up more.

Spoiler :

9. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

I'm hoping they are attempting to fix the farm draw bug.. who knows.

10. Luziadus

Luziadus Warlord

railroads and roads, could change when we reach to modern era to high speed railroad and motorways.

11. Glassmage

Glassmage The Desert Flame

didn't you make this thread a few weeks ago?

12. theadder

theadder Prince

Is it possible that they have only altered the issued screenshots to make them look better?

13. Optional

Optional Deity

There have been a lot of screenshots and videos that came to us from independent journalists who got a preview build of the game, so no.

Graphics have also been altered before when there were complaints, like with the trading posts.
    With the American tileset (orange forests) the jungle fitted in really badly. The new jungle is a bit more orange as well. It has to be that they did that to make it better blend in.

14. theadder

theadder Prince

I haven't been paying much attention to forest graphics.

That's good, though.

15. HeraldtheGreat

HeraldtheGreat King

The jungles have been looking awfully fluffy, lately.

Beware of huge image;

Spoiler :

16. Navelgazer

Navelgazer King

When BtS came out they debugged and optimized the graphics for IV like crazy. I'm hoping for something like that with BNW.

17. Vandal Thorne

Vandal Thorne Warlord

I don't know. Every since the last patch my G&K multiplayer has gotten extremely crashy faced...we'll see if BNW fixes that.

18. Leugi

Leugi Supreme Libertador

That's something I'm hoping for... Seriously, if they didn't fix the Farm Crash I'd be very dissapointed :(

19. Haig

Haig Deity

Didn't Shirk or Beach say in some video how graphics engine was rewritten(?) or something. I thought someone would have already wrote that in this thread.

20. Gorhaax

Gorhaax Warlord

wow! The new forest and jungle look more lush and less samey now. What other graphics were updated?