New terrain graphics

TheMarshmallowBear

Benelovent Chieftain of the Ursu Kingdom
So.... something that hasn't really been speculated or discussed is the fact that we're getting new terrain graphics for at least forest and jungle tiles... but why? Why did the devs change the graphics (I mean, now they look more like forest and jungle) but why change them? Is it only that? If one was to think about it then let's be honest the graphic's engine is bit buggy with the farms dealio, which more or less fail to correctly draw (which I think is present even on hig-end machines).

Do you think they've optimized the engine a little bit (re-written the farm system, maybe allowing us to create new improvements without having the farm crash bug?)

What is your view on that?

I think they just prettied things up a bit. The railroads look nicer too.

I noticed how classy the railroads look...Just looked through the screenshots stickie thread and I've gotta be honest, the forest icons look the same to me. Maybe it'll be more evident in-game.

Hopefully they also worked on the orange trees to make them look less monotonous.

The deciduous forests have coniferous trees interspersed in them to break it up a bit. The jungles have better defined foliage.

could someone give us some sort of compare image? I did not noted this change.

could someone give us some sort of compare image? I did not noted this change.

Here,you can see there's diferent trees in the forests, and while its subtle it does help in breaking them up more.

Spoiler :

I noticed how classy the railroads look...Just looked through the screenshots stickie thread and I've gotta be honest, the forest icons look the same to me. Maybe it'll be more evident in-game.

railroads and roads, could change when we reach to modern era to high speed railroad and motorways.

So.... something that hasn't really been speculated or discussed is the fact that we're getting new terrain graphics for at least forest and jungle tiles... but why? Why did the devs change the graphics (I mean, now they look more like forest and jungle) but why change them? Is it only that? If one was to think about it then let's be honest the graphic's engine is bit buggy with the farms dealio, which more or less fail to correctly draw (which I think is present even on hig-end machines).

Do you think they've optimized the engine a little bit (re-written the farm system, maybe allowing us to create new improvements without having the farm crash bug?)

What is your view on that?

didn't you make this thread a few weeks ago?

There have been a lot of screenshots and videos that came to us from independent journalists who got a preview build of the game, so no.

Graphics have also been altered before when there were complaints, like with the trading posts.
With the American tileset (orange forests) the jungle fitted in really badly. The new jungle is a bit more orange as well. It has to be that they did that to make it better blend in.

The jungles have been looking awfully fluffy, lately.

Beware of huge image;

Spoiler :

When BtS came out they debugged and optimized the graphics for IV like crazy. I'm hoping for something like that with BNW.

I don't know. Every since the last patch my G&K multiplayer has gotten extremely crashy faced...we'll see if BNW fixes that.

That's something I'm hoping for... Seriously, if they didn't fix the Farm Crash I'd be very dissapointed :(

Didn't Shirk or Beach say in some video how graphics engine was rewritten(?) or something. I thought someone would have already wrote that in this thread.

wow! The new forest and jungle look more lush and less samey now. What other graphics were updated?

Top Bottom