New Tiers (March Patch)

Who is the best Civ in Civ 5 at the moment?

• America

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Arabia

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Aztecs

• Babylon

Votes: 12 14.0%
  • China

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Egypt

• England

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • France

Votes: 17 19.8%
  • Germany

• Greece

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • India

• Iroquois

• Japan

• Mongolia

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Ottomans

• Persia

• Polynesia

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • Rome

• Russia

• Siam

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Spain

• Songhai

• Total voters

biohazard72

Prince
Just figure we should reopen this discussion, considering the large-scale changes to the game last patch. A lot of strategies are now proving viable depending on situation which strengthened some civs. My take (sorted into 4 tiers):

Top Tier - always strong
Siam - Wats without Libraries, 3 CPT from every Wat, and city-state bonuses are the main reasons to play Siam. Possible gains of Wats from Legalism still have to be sorted out.
France - dominates early culture, grabbing Collective Rule in perfect time for REXing. Does well with grabbing Tradition through Landed Elite, Patronage, Freedom, Rationalism, or Order depending on gameplay style.
Babylon - double GS production is now stronger with 3 slots available late-Renaissance. Still the best civ at rushing Rifles or Longswordsmen.
Songhai - Mud Pyramid Mosques at 5 CPT and no maintenance are highly attractive. Grabbing Legalism post-Philosophy for 20 CPT is dirty. Songhai still does very well with puppets, who beeline MPMs, and increased gold from city-capture. Having Mandekalu Cavalry with a 10% bonus vs. cities allows them to use the horse/tank line well.
Mongolia - Keshiks are elite units, and Khans are perfect support. Still an elite warmongering civ even in the hands of a novice.

High Tier - situationally very strong, or consistently above-average
Arabia - Bazaars are the main attraction here. Great in OCC culture as it effectively doubles your luxury pool to sell for Research Agreements.
China - the Paper Maker nerf hurt the most. Chu-Ko-Nus can still make double-attack Rifles which are strong. Expect China to still give you a strong economy and good military prospects.
India - with going vertical now stronger than ever, India might be playable as developers initially intended. Their ability can be a large happiness bonus if played correctly.
Polynesia - huge bonus on Continents and Archipelago with regard to finding off-continent RA partners makes them top-tier contenders.

Mid Tier - situationally strong or consistently average
Persia - Immortals are useful units, especially on upgrading, and increased golden age benefits are moderately useful as well.
Greece - may still benefit from Companion Cavalry rushing an enemy civ. Hoplites aren't highly useful. They still have an ability that naturally synergizes with Patronage, which could be useful for their science.
Iroquois - useful abilities if in forest. Not gamebreaking, but saves GPT maintenance and Worker turns.
Russia - extra resources to sell, and slight production boost. Nice bonuses but not huge.
Rome - useful unique units and strong ability, Rome is strong but not overpowered.
Egypt - Wonder bonus is nice, but far weaker on higher difficulties where Wonders are rarer. Unique building is nice, especially with Legalism.
Spain - either a very strong or very weak ability, depending on luck. Weird unique unit. That puts them in mid tier in my books.
Inca - strong bonuses to hills. Similar to Iroquois, in that their ability saves Worker-turns.

Low Tier - occasionally average but rarely strong
America - extra sight is nice but not often necessary. Tile discount is meh, unique units aren't gamebreaking at all.
Aztec - culture from kills requires a warmonger approach to pay off well, which doesn't play well on the highest difficulties.
England - Longbows are useful for a brief period of time. Their ability and other unique unit do well on naval maps but nowhere else.
Germany - pathetic ability, because really, how many encampments do you even get the chance to clear when land is snapped up so fast? Does far better on longer gamespeeds.
Japan - unique Longsword is nice, but ability and other unique units are mediocre at best.
Ottomans - nice unique units, but they're not of highly useful classes (Musket and Lancer). Ability is near-worthless most of the time.

As always, your comments are appreciated. Please post your own lists (if only the top tier or two)!

I agree with mostly everything. I just wouldn't put Songhai on the same tier as Siam/France/Babs/Mongols.

Germany is so horrible... worst Civ hands down.

From a multiplayer approach, France is certainly very strong, but his UA lose a lot of appeal after 50 turns(quick speed). Personnally i prefer Songhai and i picked him.

This guy can get more gold from barbs camps and city-states. The Himeji rush times well with his UU. With further conquests, you find yourself with a nice pile of gold, which can be transfered in even more units. I played my best games with Askia.

China is very nice at beginning for multi because it's the only civ where you can have a bigger loan from early buildings. Good warmonger.

Other noticeable multi-warmongers : France, Mongolia, Persia, Romans, Iroquois, Greece, Russia

Babylon is probably again the strongest civ for single player. The early Academy is incredibly strong, and the Great Library via Meritocracy essentially yields two free techs due to the UA. All of that opens up a lot of options that compound over the course of the game and just aren't available to other civs, and that's before we account for the extra Great Scientists from the UA.

I support the move of Askia to top tier. The Horse rework made him comparatively very strong, and the addition of the Legalism trick makes him a force to be reckoned with. That is a ton of early :c5culture: just for beelining the tech you already should be beelining, which quickly becomes a ton of :c5science: via Patronage.

Germany's either really good (Duel and some luck with the coin flips) or really bad, and you don't know which it's going to be.

REXing while rushing to Currency is very powerful as Arabia due to the changes. If they aren't top tier now, they're very close.

You're selling Hoplites a bit short. They confer invulnerability to Horse rushes and cannot be dislodged by Swords when fortified on rough terrain (assuming comparable promotions). That isn't bad for a dirt cheap unit that is only two techs in and requires no resources. Their UA isn't bad either, especially since Patronage returns more research and is easier to reach now.

I haven't played with India again yet, but I seriously doubt that they've fallen from the top tier. The UA and UU are very strong.

A lot of the mid tier civs are very good. There is a very large gap between that tier and the bottom. Cathy's start bias is fantastic; you're usually in a corner and you usually have a hidden Plains Horse tile. Rome is solid, and there's a reason that the AI Iroquois is always a monster.

India's UA is really easy to use (requires no additional thought for the user) and scale really well with more meritime CS. Having a 40+ population Delhi is pretty awesome indeed and scales even better with public school but I suppose that is pretty late era... Ironically their UU allows India to wage super early wars, and I found it to be one of the easiest Civ to be waging wars with XD

agree with babylon as top.

persia was nerfed with the weaker production golden ages (and the taj nerf before that), but i'd still put them as high tier. immortals turned rifles with double healing, +10% strength and 3 movement destroy.

aztec is definitely not bottom tier, jaguars are one of the best units and the culture isn't worthless.

spain and to some degree russia deserve "completely random tier"
spain is just ridiculous if you draw a good map,
russia can have some really strong (tundra) starts with good resources... the game i started with them post patch was a ridiculously good start, 2 horses, only one neighbor and a bunch of city states buffering me.

agree with babylon as top.
aztec is definitely not bottom tier, jaguars are one of the best units and the culture isn't worthless.

I haven't played nearly enough to vote which civs are bad and which are good as I've only played with maybe half of them. But I must agree with vexing that the Aztecs are not in the bottom and this is because of Jaguar Warriors. Utilizing them, I was able to win my first Emperor game (actually my first try at Emperor difficulty). The +2 health after kill is amazing and it stays with the unit after upgrades so the ancient Jaguar Warriors were the core of my invasion force also as Swordsmen/Longswords/Rifles/Infantry/Mechanized Infantry on my way to a domination victory. :)

I so far didn't play with Japan, but as an opp (AI) he's always one of the guys you've to watch out for.

How got they nerfed so bad that they're now bottom tier? I thought that their UA is one of the best?!

From a multiplayer approach, France is certainly very strong, but his UA lose a lot of appeal after 50 turns(quick speed). Personnally i prefer Songhai and i picked him.

This guy can get more gold from barbs camps and city-states. The Himeji rush times well with his UU. With further conquests, you find yourself with a nice pile of gold, which can be transfered in even more units. I played my best games with Askia.

China is very nice at beginning for multi because it's the only civ where you can have a bigger loan from early buildings. Good warmonger.

Other noticeable multi-warmongers : France, Mongolia, Persia, Romans, Iroquois, Greece, Russia

I don't have DLCs but i find Siam excellent for MP too. Just played a nice game with them :)

Some quick comments:

Arabia is the civ I considered most for top tier among those not included, because Market buildings in general are so much more valuable now which makes building them at worst an eventuality, even if they're not beelined. So their benefit should always be there in the game.

India's might as well read "free happiness" but I just don't know if that's as strong of a bonus as some of the top tier civs, who get more direct benefits. My reluctance to put them in top tier might stem from lack of experience with them.

Persia was a civ I considered for high tier, because the combat bonuses in the golden age and Immortal's healing benefits are both strong. I agree that even some middle tiered civs can be quite strong on Deity, if their advantages are played to.

BTW, I dislike Hoplites largely because warfare that early is usually unwise, and Civil Service is usually beelined so Pikemen are available anyway.

EDIT: Japan I consider so weak because their advantage is with weakened units, which often should be healing up anyway if they are to survive. While having a unique longswordsman is nice, the other unique unit confers too late of an advantage to matter and the ability is mediocre. I prefer civs with building or better military benefits.

EDIT2: If anyone's curious, I voted Mongolia because they're the easiest civ for me to play and win with, simply because Keshiks are unstoppable. All other civs seem to require a modicum of skill that Mongolia doesn't need, or smooths over with Keshiks.

i haven't played that many games and haven't tried every leader, but i think the incas are much better than mid tier. the movement bonus in hills give them a tremendous edge in combat (especially with ranged units) and terrace farms often give you the chance of having awesome cities in suboptimal locations.

Persia needs to be higher up. At least high tier, maybe even top tier.

Their UA is excellent (more golden age is always useful)
Their UU is excellent (immortals. need i say more?)
Their UB is excellent (additional 2 gold and 2 happiness per building in addition to regular bank bonuses)

Persia needs to be higher up. At least high tier, maybe even top tier.

Their UA is excellent (more golden age is always useful)
Their UU is excellent (immortals. need i say more?)
Their UB is excellent (additional 2 gold and 2 happiness per building in addition to regular bank bonuses)

I'd say that stands true pre-patch but the production nerf to golden ages is a big one.

Iroquois needs moved up. You always start with a forest when playing them when playing a generated map other than earth.

On Germany, not sure if this is enough to move it up or not, but since the patch; a lot more camps than there were previously even on normal speed, which does amount to a boost. More camps will help Germany a bit more than the other civs; although it seems to help humans more than the AI no matter who your playing based on how badly the AI deals with barbs.

If Aztec gets the cultural bonus killing barb units in addition to the others, they also benefit in early game from the same change.

Barb naval spawn rate though seems too low to really help the civ that has the enslave barb naval units ability though; it's probably never to go to get to a rate that this civ could really use because so doing would basically render the city state AIs unable to keep sea resources from being pillaged.

Just figure we should reopen this discussion, considering the large-scale changes to the game last patch. A lot of strategies are now proving viable depending on situation which strengthened some civs. My take (sorted into 4 tiers):

Mid Tier - situationally strong or consistently average
Iroquois - useful abilities if in forest. Not gamebreaking, but saves GPT maintenance and Worker turns.

Low Tier - occasionally average but rarely strong
Germany - pathetic ability, because really, how many encampments do you even get the chance to clear when land is snapped up so fast? Does far better on longer gamespeeds.

Agreed. The UB isn't bad either.

I think the Iroquois deserve a higher position. The UA is fine but it's their UB that really does damage. You can turn all your forests into 4:c5production: 1:c5food: tiles very fast. Go Landed Elite, knock out a granary, water mill, ally a maritime. I've had one deity Iroquois game post-patch. I was knocking out wonders and stuff and basically competitive all the way up. That's never happened for me on deity before.

Really it's the synergy between UA, UB and UU that make the Iroquois so good. Of course if you don't have forests for some reason then they suck. Don't disable start bias if you're playing Iroquois!

A bank UB would have to be much better then that in order to be excellent. It's not something you want to build often.

India seems the strongest to me, but I haven't used any DLC civs, so...can't really vote for them.

Now that cities are more spaced out, I find my cities getting bigger, even without aquaducts, which can just make some insane cities.

Strangely enough, I seem to get the most benefit from having many cities with a fairly high population. It doesn't take much growth for India to get free happiness. The UB is ok if the game goes on for long, and the UU is decent, if not amazing.

The UA alone is just...insane, however.

Well, my favorite civ just got dissed! I like America because I love the B-17. The other UU sucks, but I've won LOTS of games with the B-17 which I've managed to get promoted to about Level 7 before upgrading to stealths

I'd say that stands true pre-patch but the production nerf to golden ages is a big one.

Yes, Persia really took it in the shorts with the GA nerf. If you choose Persia now, you're basically doing it to get 3 move land units that come with the Fountain of Youth effect pre-installed and a decent :c5gold: per turn bonus. That makes them essentially an upgrade on the Ottomans.

You can only put Japan in bottom tier for single player where any war is an automatic win. The UA is invaluable against real opponents (online).

Top Bottom