1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New to Civ 5

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by smashyou, Aug 6, 2014.

1. smashyou

smashyou Chieftain

Hello, just bought this game on Steam. I'm longtime fan of Civilization, having logged countless hundreds of hours on Civ 2, Civ 3, and Alpha Centauri.

This game....seems to have a few more features. I've browsed the sticky guide, and while the information therein is useful, it seems a bit rudimentary and doesn't have much beyond the tutorial bubbles in-game.

I tend to be a builder, not so much for conquest, and in previous games would only build 5-7 cities and try to optimize them. I've never played against other people largely because I'm sure my "strategy" would quickly devolve into a few burning piles in 30 turns or so. Edit: I think I remember the terms "vertical" and "horizontal" building to describe building a few large cities with lots of improvements versus many smaller cities with few improvements, respectively; I'm a "vertical" builder.

I started my first game last night as the Babylonians, and have had a pretty hard time keeping up with city improvements and wonders (even more so than in previous games).

I'll kick off the conversation with a specific question: I don't see orders available to give to my workers, only "Fully Automate Worker." While I know that in previous games automated workers were inefficient and built unnecessary improvements, it also meant less micromanaging (something I've never enjoyed in these games). Can I give workers manual orders or specific build instructions?

Any general tips or strategies you could offer a newcomer are greatly appreciated :)

2. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Automating workers is generally viewed as suboptimal, for the reasons you note. To manually instruct a worker, move the worker onto a specific tile and direct the worker to build the relevant improvement on that tile. You cannot give workers an improvement queue.

3. asura_

asura_ Chieftain

Whenever you connect all the resources, build all the roads and improve most tiles with what you want it might not be a bad idea to automate 90% of your workers. They will run around fixing pillaged improvements, building railroads, improving conquered land without you having to direct them all the time

4. smashyou

smashyou Chieftain

Well now I feel dumb. I was thinking I could give a worker an order to build an improvement without the worker being on the tile yet.....and thinking back, this has literally never been the case. Probably not the last time this will happen, I've been out of the loop too long!

5. JonnasN

JonnasN Warlord

Also, just to make sure, are you playing the base/vanilla game, or do you have expansions?

6. smashyou

smashyou Chieftain

I actually bought it on Steam several months ago, just haven't gotten around to playing it until now. I want to say that I bought the entire bundle but can't remember, is there a way to check?

Edit: I figured it out, I have all available DLC and expansions.

7. Randall_Flagg

Randall_Flagg The Evil One

My best suggestion is, play a game without building any world wonders. Once you prove to yourself it is possible to win that way, you will not care about losing out on them.

8. Fish Man

Fish Man Emperor