New to Civ III and happy to be here

MarkUCLA

Chieftain
Hi,
Unlike the previous poster, I just bought Civ III Complete and really digging it. I've never played any Civ game before but I have played Alpha Centauri which I loved to death 3 to 4 years ago, and still enjoy now as I started playing again last month.

I think I'm like a few others that have picked up some of these older games lately. We're all getting sick of the MMORPG games like EQ2, City of Heroes, FFXI, WOW, and really getting sick of that monthly fee. Guild Wars Excluded ;)

First of all, look at how many people are still posting in this forum. I mean it's rare to find that in a game that is 4 to 5 years old. (I just bought Diablo II a few weeks ago and just couldnt play it. The graphics were just too far behind the times. Civ III still looks pretty good, (God, I can't wait for Civ IV) and reading more about the game in these posts is exciting.

Secondly, the customization is great. The mod's added to the package like the Sengoku (Shogun) is such a fantastic idea and I think will make the game playable and fun for a long time.

So far, I suck in Civ III and I'm glad I do because it will challenge me to get better. I just need more expericence. I don't know why I never bought it before but I think it intimidated me. I am learning new things everyday and it's getting funner and funner.

Well, see you all around and thanks for dropping by and taking a quick read. :king:

Lots of good info in the War Acad. BTW Diablo II is a lot of fun, in spite of the grahics. Not sure if you got the LoD expansion, but it ups the graphics to a whopping 800.

Lots of good forums for LoD as well.

Welcome! (Though I think the mods frown on this kind of thread here...)

Tons and tons of great information here - you can definitely get tremendously better if you study and apply it. I bought Civ III right after it released, but dropped it after a few months - mainly because I was frustrated at how difficult it was compared to Civ II, which I dominated long before I had my very own Internet connection to reach a site like this one. Eventually I sucked up my pride, reinstalled it, came here, and quickly moved up a few levels. So don't be intimidated.

But I have to say - don't give up on D2/LoD either. It's not as deep as Civ, but there's a lot more to it than there first appears to be. I put a staggering number of hours into that game over many years and had a blast. And given the number of names here that I recognize from D2 forums, I know I'm not the only one. Two very different kinds of games, but at high levels they appeal to a lot of the same people.

Welcome to CFC! [party]

Read the War Academy. It's a great resource to learn the game. I myself jumped several levels very quickly with the help of the War Academy and the posters on these forums.

cleverhandle said:
Welcome! (Though I think the mods frown on this kind of thread here...)
True. ;)

(Actually, I think it was meant to be a reply in another thread, but there are a couple it could go in, so I will just close it. :) )

Edit: Since MarkUCLA has explained to me that this thread is a response to the "Civ3 is Awful" thread, I will reopen it. :)

Moderator Action: Thread reopened.

Hello. I'm still here, though my presence is sometimes intermittent. Generally I don't like MMO, though Diablo II is definitely an exception to that.

As for Civilization, I didn't get seriously into it until Civ III, and am pretty much addicted. :D

Must -- play -- Civilization -- urge uncon -- trollable!

I'm also new to Civ3 actually new at restarting civ3. I've played on and off for about the past 2 and 1/2 years maybe, but I could never get any better at it. I figure now that I'm getting back into it I should actually do what I do to any other game I try to get good at. Research it then try to apply what I research, so even before I read this thread I've been going through the military academy to see what I could find. I like the info you guys got and I'll probably start practicing tomorrow.

welcome!! [party] :beer: :band: to the great world of Civ 3 :lol: enjoy and come check out the democracy game :mischief:
yay for super ninja :ninja:

Thanks for all your replies guys/gals, and thanks Padma for bringing it back to life. I understand the rules a little better now.

Good lord there is a lot to this game. Too much to take in all at once, so I'm gonna concentrate on the beginning game. I like some of the quick start games/features that are available so I'm going to concentrate on that before moving on to the midgame.

Thanks for telling me about the Academy and yes, there is a wealth of information there. Well, backto CIV all.....

Parque said:
I looked at the democracy game thing and what exactly is it?
The democracy game is a single player game of Civ where we choose 1 civ to play as a team against the AI. We organise the team in the form of a democracy, and elect a president and leaders to cover different aspects of the game (eg: Foreign Affairs minister) and governors for the cities. The leaders then organise discussions and polls for their area to decide what we actually do. Everyone is a citizen of the nation and gets the chance to vote and have their say. The leaders then post instructions based on the votes and discussion. The instructions are played out usually in a chat and the results and saves posted to start the next round of discussions. There's often some roleplay along with the game and although it is not obligatory, some posters will make decisions based on roleplay rather than the mechanics of the game. Feelings can run high and discussions can get somewhat heated. If you want pure Civ discussion to improve your game then you're probably better off with a Succession Game, but if you want to throw in some roleplay, not have to be committed to playing turns, or not take it quite so seriously but still learn about Civ then give it a go.

There's the beginnings of a FAQ here

As soon as you enter the world of civ, you will realize that food, sleep, or water is only optional...

Nah, :joke:

Although... forgot to say...

:dance: :hatsoff: Welcome to CFC :hatsoff: :dance:

where there is :ar15: , and smiles. :)

And a TON , and of course, mean a TON of this... [civ3] [ptw] [c3c]

Actually sleep and food have almost become optional for me from time to time.

My name is Desertsnow and I'm a Civ-addict . . .

Top Bottom