1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New to Civ V

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Camardo12, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Camardo12

Camardo12 Chieftain

I never before played on a huge map before. I am only going for a domination win. What are the best strategies ? I am still learning the game so any helpful tips will be great. I am playing as China.

2. blac

blac Warlord

I would say rush early so you can stop the other civs from expanding, which will only make it more difficult. What map type are you playing on?

3. hellboy909

hellboy909 Chieftain

What he said. More information is needed (map type, difficulty, etc).

4. Michl2602

Michl2602 Warlord

Domination victory on a huge "World"-map is very hard, because it needs you to have the lead not only in the sciences according military units and economics, but also according ships (and you'll have to build lots of them too, and outproducing the others everywhere).
    I so far didn't even manage to find all opps (before satelites, when it's too late to start your domination :)), when playing at this card. Therefore I win by spaceship most of the time.
    At Prince and higher, you'll additionally have to buy (or destroy) lots of CS, to prevent the AI from winning diplomatically.

If it has to be a huge map, I would suggest Panagea (so that you can streamline science to Mech. Inf etc.), otherwise smaller maps make domination a lot easier.

I would suggest you to take the Romans at a smaller panagea map to first learn the technics of warmongering in Civ5, because they are best suited for early domination (without having diplomatic leadership trait like Greek, which calls for a more mixed strategy, and with much less science needed to get their UUs going than the Chinese).

A strategy at the beginning might roughly look like this:

1) Get to ironworking quickly (with or without beelining using Great Library; when going for wonders in the early game, you need marble in another city (not the capital, see below why) and take 2 policies of Tradition then to get this '33% on building wonders', the rest of early policies you take from Honor)
    2) Build military early (2 warriors) and send them training to barb camps; they'll become your first legions after upgrade
    3) Expand quickly, especially for the Iron; without Iron you can actually forget playing the Romans for domination (but for other, more peaceful victory types they are still of average quality)
    4) Use Roman leadership trait by only building things in Rome, you want to build everywhere else (if there's nothing like that, build units, you of course have an early Baracks in Rome. On the other hand: When the alternate cities have nothing to build already built in Rome, they build settlers (or workers, if needed more))
    5) Always defend watered units with ships (otherwise they are gone by barb attacks), but don't know if there's a need to do so on a Panagea (never played this so far).

A start like this is enough to win by domination at level 1-3, don't know about Prince and higher.

But of course China is an excellent warmongering civilization too. Those Chok-Ko-Nu's keep their ability to shoot twice per turn even when upgraded, GGs are stronger and the papermaker is a phantastic tradeoff between science and gold in the early game, but so far haven't tried to play them myself.
    The "Golden Military Age" just comes much earlier with Romans than with Chinese, making them easier for domination, because you can take out your early, close neighbours before they reach Middle Ages at a normal run.

Legend:
    AI ..... Computergegner (Artificial Intelligence)
    CS .... City State
    GG .... Great General
    UU .... Unique Unit

5. Camardo12

Camardo12 Chieftain

I am playing on Earth and warlord level. Thanks guys for the help

6. Michl2602

Michl2602 Warlord

Thanks for your friendship offer, what I of course accepted.

Btw.: Gave my own suggestion a try (Roman, Small Pangea-map), but happened to be crowded by opps without having any iron. Of course some can still win, but didn't like the position any more.
    Now I'm playing Romans on a huge world map again and it's going really good. Just a pity that the only victory condition I can really manage so far is spaceship, as gold (for diplomatic) seems to be much more complex to manage than science.

7. Camardo12

Camardo12 Chieftain

Mich when you take over a city with a wonder do you then own it? How is your battle with the romans coming along?

8. Supr49er

Supr49er 2011 Thunderfall Cup

Yes, the Wonder is now yours :)

9. Michl2602

Michl2602 Warlord

Yes, you own it then. My Roman game on the huge map is going great. After a jungle start in South America, where also mountains make it a bit hard to expand, I had to take out CS Hanoi after having founded 5 cities (don't like blockers). That opened the continent for another 9 cities (7 already built), cause luckily no other civs were in place. I also already have a maritim CS-ally in North America and will soon declare war on the civ there (after having sent some military to the ally). That will make him pay for peace and afterwards I expand to North America anyways and take him out. We'll see whether this works as planned.

10. Camardo12

Camardo12 Chieftain

do you guys use any mods? if so. which ones?