New to Civ

Caputo

Chieftain
I am new to Civilization period, and am wondering if starting with Civ5 is the right move. I know there are a number of enhancements coming out and learning to play an earlier version first may present some problems. Not sure how best to begin. An additional question is: Are there guides available that anyone would suggest I review prior to play or should I just jump right in? Thanks

Civilization V is a game of its own. In fact, it is that more than any other game of the series. As far as I know it also has the most user-friendly interface. I am sure that starting with Civilization V will work just fine! :)

The game has been made for all potential players. It's not like it's some kind of über challenge that you must prepare for. Just buy the game and have fun.

Civ5 would be a good place to start, certainly. None of us have played it yet, so we can't tell you for sure, but you CERTAINLY don't want to start with Civ4.
Civ5 seems to have made everything easier to understand and the interface more user friendly, so i suggest you begin with that.
Although if you have a console, I suggest Civilization Revolutions even more.

It seems that Civ5 will be easier to learn and generally more user-friendly than previous versions.
So its probably a good start.

Also, much shinier.

Really, I would say jump right in on the easiest difficulty level, and figure things out as you go.
I'm guessing there will also be a fair number of tips/suggestions that will help you figure out what you're doing.
No need to read a guide.

If you want to get your feet wet, and you have an Xbox 360, PS3, or DS, find a copy of Civilization Revolutions. You should be able to find one used for less than $15. Keep in mind, it is significantly simpler than Civ proper, but you'll get the gist. If you find it too daunting, you might want to pass on Civ V.

I am new to Civilization period, and am wondering if starting with Civ5 is the right move. I know there are a number of enhancements coming out and learning to play an earlier version first may present some problems. Not sure how best to begin. An additional question is: Are there guides available that anyone would suggest I review prior to play or should I just jump right in? Thanks

Honest to goodness just jump right in. The game isn't so complex that you can't quickly figure out what's going on, and it looks like Civ5 tooltips darn near everything so info is always within arm's reach. Even if it takes a few times to get the hang of it, you'll never have so much fun getting your butt handed to you. Just roll on an easy difficulty and crush the pushover AI a few times.

I'd also recommend Civ 5 just because it's supposedly being made to be more accessible and will have a more informative user interface than ever before.

Once the game is out, there will a lot of discussion, strategy articles, beginner guides, and all that at this site/forum, so if you get stuck or whatever, this will be a great place to get assistance and guidance.

It'll be quite user-friendly. You could always get previous versions at a budget price just to see how ( hopefully ) the game has improved and developed along the way. Besides, there are one or two things in previous versions that folk feel nostalgic about like actors playing advisors and Wonders videos. You'll find out what I'm talking about if you ever buy them ;)

I'm sold. I will pre-order today. Followup question if I may. I noticed gamestop, walmart, ect. offer different maps depending on where you buy as a small bonus for pre-ordering the game. For a novice starting out any thoughs as to which would best serve me? I think the price is the same. Thanks again.

I'm sold. I will pre-order today. Followup question if I may. I noticed gamestop, walmart, ect. offer different maps depending on where you buy as a small bonus for pre-ordering the game. For a novice starting out any thoughs as to which would best serve me? I think the price is the same. Thanks again.

That sounds like the lamest incentive to buy in the history of gaming.

Civ5 is apparently going to have way better world builder capability, so there's going to be no shortage of custom maps out there. Even if there weren't, half the fun is creating a game with your own map preferences (something that's been there more or less since Civ1).

Civ is generally played on a randomly generated map so it has maximum replayability. Having a single bonus map which looks like part of the earth when the game can generate 99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 maps just doesnt even feature on my list of things I care about. Go for which ever retailer you trust best.

Oh, and good luck in never getting your life back.

Thungrin, I think you misunderstood the question. If the price is the same, and you have a choice, why wouldn't you choose one. Knowing so litttle about the game, I thought the bonus materials might have some value. I guess it is just marketing at its best. Thank you Lord Olleus for the warning with respect to losing my life in the game. I have been warned.

I wouldn't recommend spending money on a strategy guide, people around here will be more than glad to help you out. However if money is a serious issue, I'd recommend buying a used copy of Civ III just to figure out if you like the concept of a historical turn-based strategy game. If you do then you should just buy Civ V

If you're pre-ordering Civ V, I would do so from Direct to Drive, I think they still have $10 off deal.

Contrary to everyone else's responses, I would start with Civ IV. Whenever I discover a new game series I think I'll really like, I always start a little further back in the series. That way, they'll be cheaper, more complete (mods, expansions), hardware to run on max settings will be way cheaper, and starting with IV and moving on to V will make it easier to make it until VI.

Top Bottom