New to Civ

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Caputo, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Dinhcara

Dinhcara Chieftain

I am in the same boat (almost) as Caputo... I do own a copy of Civ4 and this was my first Civ game. I found it very overwhelming to have jumped into. I read a lot of GOTM and other forum game narratives and plenty of guides and still found I had trouble wrapping my head around it all. I am hoping Civ5 will be easier to grasp :)

2. Meteor Man

Meteor Man En Route to M81

I actually disagree with the others here. I say start with Civ 3. This one has no doubt given the Civilization franchise an identity, not to mention the gameplay is terrific. The graphics are not bad at all (if you have a low-end computer like me) and the forums here are far from dying. I may be in the minority, but if your computer isn't top of the line, and you haven't got 60 bucks to spare, play Civ3.

But if your computer is kick-a$$, then go for the gold: Civ V.

P.S: don't get Civ 4. Just horrible.

3. Fizticks

Fizticks Chieftain

Also if you get it from D2D you get CivIII free, which could be a good way to get your feet wet in the week before launch XD

4. Meteor Man

Not bad at all, actually. I wouldn't bother with 4 though.

5. wilebill

wilebill Warlord

Civ V if your computer meets or exceeds recommended requirements. If not Civ 3 Complete costs $5 and is still an excellent game. Or Civ Rev on console.

Also youtube and view some civ videos, maybe a couple of randomly selected out of a let's play series. Civ is different. Not everyone likes it.

6. Fizticks

Fizticks Chieftain

Civ is not a game for the impatient thats for sure, but one or two games and your hooked for life XD

7. chaotoroboto

chaotoroboto Warlord

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=9591626#post9591626

That thread has links and coupon codes for the direct2drive preorder, which with the $10 coupon is the cheapest way to get it right now - $40! Holy Crap! Alternately, the Digital Deluxe edition also has an entire extra civilization to play (Babylon) and with the coupon, it's the same price as the normal game ($60 list - $10 coupon = $50).

Then, on top of that, you get the first DLC (which is speculated to be two new leaders, arriving in December) and Civ 3 for free. So at Gamestop it'd be $85 for all that.

With Civ 5 only a little over a week away, I'd save the money, and not buy Civ Rev. It's not a bad game but it lacks the addictive quality of the PC Civ games. Instead, get Direct2drive's crazy low-priced bundle, and then play Civ 3 until 5 comes out.

8. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

I am also in the camp that likes civ3 better than civ4...
    ...can't reason well, why ;)

Maybe the feel of it, the charming athmosphere civ3 had for me,
    contrasted to civ4, which is more "cold", "heartless"

I read that civ5 designer Shafer played civ3 the most before starting civ5 design.
    I take that a good sign :)

9. City Builder

City Builder Complicated Complication

Even though I really enjoyed Civ 4, although not good at it, I enjoyed it. After watching yesterdays 2 hour gameplay, I find it impossible to even start up Civ 4 now.

To the OP, I'd say just wait out the 7 more days for Civ 5 and get that. Honestly, I just can't see the point to getting 4 now that 5 is only 7 days away. From the video and everything else that I've read on 5, I'd have to say it will become the superior product.

It'd kind of be like buying Diablo, when Diablo III is only 7 days from release, kind of pointless to me.

10. Meteor Man

That's very good. 3 was good. As a matter of fact, I still play it. And mod. The link in my sig is a Civ 3 mod created by myself.

Not to mention if you want a preview of civ 3, there are a couple of screenies there!

11. Schuesseled

Schuesseled Deity

I expect civ 5's learning curve to be just as long for new players, i think they have improved a lot of things, but its still gonna take you a while to learn them.

12. bjbrains

bjbrains Man of U-235

I doubt it. The interface is so much more intuitive and the game is much better about having everything displayed to you when it's relevant, and not displaying it when you don't need to see it. I mean, the gameplay is about the same level of complexity, but the simple act of starting/playing your first game will be a much softer curve than Civ 4.

13. Schuesseled

Schuesseled Deity

Go for civ 5, you might as well, it looks better to me than its previous versions.

14. Schuesseled

Schuesseled Deity

Alright not as long, but its still gonna be a quite lengthy process, if your only used to playing r-t-s's its still gonna take you a while to find your civ rythm.