1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

new to Civilization - a question

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Ultramncer, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Ultramncer

Ultramncer Chieftain

Hi all...
    I am new to Civilization IV. I have just one question: are unit promotions truly cumulative? That is, if I first promote a unit to +10%, and later promote to city raider, will that unit now have a +30% when attacking a city? I would appreciate if someone would let me know, thanks...

2. Woodreaux

Woodreaux Chieftain

Yep. If you're interested in learning how promo's work, check out some of Piece of Mind's articles. This is a really good one on First Strikes.

3. Deckhand

Deckhand Procrastination at its finest GOTM Staff

Not exactly. But close enough for now.
    ---
    for later,
    The combat +10% is to your unit's base strength. Swordsman 6 *1.1 = 6.6
    The city raider (and all other offensive promotions) actually takes away from defender's adjustments.
    So, if attacking an archer fortified in a city with a swordsman with combat 1 and city raider:
    6 * 1.1 = 6.6 versus
    3 * (+50% city defense + 25% fortified - 20% city raider) = 3 * 1.55 = 4.65

as mentioned above, PieceOfMind is the real expert here.
    ---
    But the answer to your general question, is yes promotions stack.

Let's take the same archer, put its city on a hill and give it city garrison III and guerilla II:
    +50% for city; +25% for hills; +20,+25,+30,+10 (vs melee) for City Garrison III, +20, +30 for Guerilla II; +25 if garrisoned = +235% = 3 * 3.35 = 10.05

It has been pointed out that the combat promotions are better when attacking a unit like this with many defensive bonuses because they help the attacker directly (reducing bonus to +215% with city raider isn't that big a deal).

more than you asked, enjoy ;)

And welcome to the Forums. :band:

4. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

First, I'm not big on the math aspect of the game like above as it can be confusing. Your second sentence is worded a bit oddly so I will make an assumption. I assume you refer to the +10% as the Combat I promotion. In layman's terms, promoting along a promotion set like Combat or City Raider is cumulative within that set. So say a Sword with CRI has +20% city attack (it has the innate 10% attack). Giving him CRII will add +10% making the Sword +30% city attack. The combat I promo is not cumulative in combination with the CR bonus. However, a Sword with Combat I plus CR promos will be stronger attacking against a city than a Sword without Combat I simply due to its increased strength.

Generally, with Swords, I promote them along the CR line first. Of course, aggressive leaders start combat I for all melee units, which is nice. Makes for stronger Swords out of the gate.

5. §L¥ Gµ¥

§L¥ Gµ¥ Chieftain

the fact this game has been reduced to pure mathematics on this site never ceases to amaze me. keep up the good work

6. JTMacc99

JTMacc99 That's a paddlin'

Maybe in Civ 5, they'll introduce interpersonal relationships to combat. That way, there's a random modifier for each unit that represents whether or not the leadership of a unit is a bunch of a-holes, or if they are competent and well respected.

That way, we won't be able to know for sure how the math is going to work. So, your combat 1 paratrooper unit attacks at 24 +10% + (random -8% to +2% for a unit with 2XP). As the unit gains experience, the bonus range slides up to give more frequent positive results. This way you are taking into account that some units have leaders like Captain Sobel from Band of Brothers, and other units have Major Winters.