1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New to colonization. i need help with the game's concepts.

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Strategy & Tips' started by quim, Oct 10, 2011.

1. quim

quim Chieftain

Hello, I'm brand new to civilization4 colonization. I have been playing civilization 4 both vanilla and expansions.

After I bought this game. I knew well the concepts that adopted from civ4, but the main problem is, I really confused with the much more different game mechanics that makes me strange with this game. No cultures,religions, etc. And the basic yields are totally different with the presence of somewhat cottons, and something(I forget the name), many kinds of yields are there.

Because of that could anyone tell me where is the thread that contains tutorial of this civ4col?especially that discuss about the deeper game concepts and facts. Or maybe the manual download link? I don't have colonization manual. And the FAQ don't really help me understand the deeper game concepts.

Thank you! :)

2. dalgo

dalgo Chieftain

3. Seron

Seron Chieftain

I have a friend who wrote made a tutorial for this expansion. I will see if I can find it and post it.

4. quim

quim Chieftain

Hey dalgo, thank you so much for the link (y). And seron, I can't wait for it :p. Tell me if you have posted it. I really need step by step tutorials like that. Thanks

:cool:

5. Seron

Seron Chieftain

Glad to help.

My friend says he might have a copy on his hard drive and that he will put it on a flash drive and give it to me. Hopefully he follows through...

6. Robert Surcouf

Robert Surcouf Civ4Col Modder

7. Seron

Seron Chieftain

oooh, me want to be an expert! :king: These look cool... :D

8. pi73r

pi73r Chieftain

Hello, I'm new to forums and also new to Civ: Col (although I'm also fairly new to playing any civilisation more ''competitively'') and I must say that in vanilla Civ 4(atm I have only this :(, sux for downloading mods, but I'll buy the others) you could just insta jump into game and win on noble/prince without problem. And this game is pretty chalenging for me at the lowest difficulty(the most ''recent'' patch, where you actually have to fight with natives).
    Is there any option for some1 to put here some replay of the typical game maybe? :D
    Really, at vanilla Civ I wouldn't have to ask(although I start graspin things).
    Edit: seems I'm the thread's necromancer.

9. dalgo

dalgo Chieftain

Welcome to the forum pi73r [party] :band: :popcorn: :beer:

The difficulty levels in Colonization are not well designed and the lower levels are harder than they should be. It does make for a steep learning curve. There are a number of useful articles in the Strategy Articles forum but really the best way to start is to play the game and learn from your own mistakes.

10. Windfoot

Windfoot Chieftain

The basic game play is:
    1. Exploration: explore (on land) as much as you can and talk to every village and explore all ruins.
    2. develop cities: expand your empire and plot out where you want your cities. develop starting cities.
    3. Prepare for War! produce (or buy) in preparation of war.
    War! kill them on the beaches or do a fighting retreat (or Naval warfare for the really advanced player)

This game is all about trade-offs. For instance, you want to produce liberty bells to get founding fathers (FF) but then the king increases the size of his military based upon how many bells you produce...Also, you want to do alot of trading with europe for the money but then the king taxes you...and increases the taxes based upon how much you trade with Europe.

If you're having problems with the natives you have two options..beat them (Spanish) or if you can't beat them join them (French). To start off, don't piss them off. If your cities get bigger than 4 it pisses them off, if your city boundaries overlap their villages you piss them off, if you attack their friends (native or european) it pisses them off, if you improve the land too much it pisses them off, if your cities are weak it pisses them off. Some things you can do are pay them tribute, keep your cities defended, trade with them, have them attack a rival (this works well against europeans, then natives dont get pissed at you for capturing their cities). Also, being French helps and some FF help too (too much imo).

Play the game some and ask some specific question.