1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New to game

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by KingUber, Jun 5, 2005.

1. vmxa

vmxa Deity

I think that is the limit. You can gain allies, if you have something to offer them and especially if they are already upset with your enemy.

I would think given what you mentioned about the stage and your position, you would have little to offer though.

2. brennan

brennan Argumentative Brit

Look on your first game as a learning experience.

your mistake was not to build enough cities.

Next time: build more settlers early.

3. Vilati Timmadar

Vilati Timmadar Warlord

Thanks, budweiser. That's exactly what I meant.

Sorry guys for the irritation. I meant that if you have a granary in your capital, that you can continously build settlers. By the time the settler is ready, the city should've reached size 3.

Again - sorry!

4. Bob1475

Bob1475 Prince

KingUber - Assuming you are playing chieftain anything is possible but you will have a hard time getting an ally if you are the smallest. My suggestion at this point is really to restart and build settlers. If you want to play this to the end then go for military units and set deliberate targets. Another alternative is to go for cultural victory. As small as you are it won't be long before the others gang up on you. DO NOT build wonders or they really will come for you.

5. N3pomuk

N3pomuk Warlord

I think that Bob1475 makes an exelent point which is hard to learn as a n00b, no wonders on higher levels untill you have the edge or pre built enouth to ofset the (up to) 60% discount the computer gets.
    While in cheiftain and warlord you might be able to build every wonder and might handle loosing the wonder to an ai in the last 2-3 turns of building up to monarch, chances are a loss like that WILL break you if you end up with a cathedral instead of the leonardos workshop when you could have had 10+ extra units to your disposal.

but as a tip for cheiftain: don't forget the roads! they make you faster, hold the empire together, allow the use of lux and strats in every connected city, and they give you gold. Most people see it as too obvious but gold is king and thats why you neednt forget the roads ever, I'd say they are a good bit more important than irigation on alotof maps.
    cheers and good luk with future conquering... mabe you could post your save and we could have a gander at what a challange at chieftain looks like :)

6. searcheagle

searcheagle Emperor

At turn 1,000, the box will appear asking the player if he wants to continue playing. To keep playing, hit yes!

7. KingUber

KingUber Chieftain

I'm doing better in my new game-mongols(love em)-allied with two nations atm, at war with babylonians in a pretty much no man's gaining anything war..but he wont forfeit...allied with one nation and have right of passage-good standing with em-got 13 or so cities, all guarded, an army, a named swordsman called skullcrusher,great mountains keeping me fortified...How should I go about getting the mayas who i have RoP with to help me against babylonia? they have RoP with them too-but i want total blockage from Babylonian and a good front..btw middle ages just touched me and workin on fuedalism

8. brennan

brennan Argumentative Brit

Sounds like a good start, make sure you maximise the size of your cities with aqueducts. There are some damn good wonders in Medieval, Sun Tzu's and Leonardo's are an awesome double act if you are going for military (any city with a road to your capital can a)produce veteran units; b)upgrade any units stationed there for half price as soon as possible!), Bach's has been great on every version of civ for happiness. Look to see which city has the most trade/research potential and go for Copernicus' and Newton's (and SETI later) in that city for a massive research boost.

You may want to consider changing to a Republic. If your cities are growing well and your unit support cost will not be prohibitive it is almost always better than monarchy. Compare the number of citizens you have with the number of units, if the number of units is larger (more than 50% larger with marketplaces) then you will probably lose money under a republic.

Given that you are maybe slightly ahead I would go for a science/wonder building strategy: Feudalism - Invention - Education (build universities everywhere) - Astronomy - Music Theory - Banking (build banks everywhere) - Economics then try for democracy. Make sure you improve land around 3 or 4 big cities so that they can get to size 12 and then move citizens to working on tiles with mines so that they can build wonders (you should do this with all cities, but it is especially important with wonder builders). Your cities wil probably be more efficient builders than the AI so you will be faster to the wonders. You may be able to use one wonder as a pre build for one that you want, for example start a city on sistine chapel and then switch to copernicus' when you get Astronomy.

Something military to consider... Cavalry are awesome if you can get them first and early, the increased movement and high attack are terrific. Bear in mind that they can go obsolete pretty quickly to rifles in cities so knights are advisable to build in advance ready for upgrading. For an all-out military game try going straight for Military Tradition and building the Military Academy so you can spend a while making Cavalry armies...

If a Civ has an agreement with another they are much less likely to declare against them.

9. finalhistorian

finalhistorian Chieftain

u should post ur saves

10. Wes The Great

Wes The Great Chieftain

Timing is very important in this game. If you start a game with 10 cities split up with another civilization on the same Island, you want to take them out early before it becomes too involved. Consolidation of territory is valuable giving a better defensive position. Then once you industrialize, you can defend any part of your civilization at anytime provided you have the correct resources for railroad.

I think trading tech is a pretty important part of the game. Pick a course with your technology while the other civilizations pick the other branches, then by trading you can have all the collective technology of the world without having to learn it.