New to site, looking for basic strats

reese09

Chieftain
hey guys...i'm new to the site, and i see the WEALTH of information that you guys have posted in regards to playing the game at the later difficulty levels...however, to my embarrasment, i'm still at about the second level of diff. and i still have problems finishing higher than 4th place out of 6-8 civ games. i've been playing Civ for a while, so i'm familiar with the game mechanics, but i think i have no strategy, and the other civs tend to be miles ahead of me by the time we get into modern times. i tend to stay on Monarchy throughout the game for fear of trying other governments, and i use America a lot for their late game unique unit. anyone have any advice, or direction to point me in? thanks much in advance.

Welcome to CFC! :band:

Here's my tip: go to the quick links in the top right, and go to "War Academy". Read as much as you can digest, then go play some civ. Repeat as necessary.

Also, reading games in the SG forums will allow you to pick up many useful tricks.

EDIT: Just actually read you post. :rolleyes: Make sure you get proficient at trading, and try a civ with an earlier UU, so you an get a GA earlier. Also, if you have "Wonder addiction" read Ision's article in the academy, it's like Methadone. ;)

Check out the stickied thread (always near the top) of this forum "Where To Find Great Advice on the CivFanatics Website". It has some nice clear categories and gives great links. More reading than any sane person would want to do in a single sitting, but plenty to allow you to pick and choose where you think you need the most help.

And welcome to CFC!
Arathorn

Top Bottom