New to the Civ family

Easycompany68

Chieftain
Hi, Im 100% new to the civ francise and the only really started playing strategy games the last few months..been playing a weekly 6 player game of "game of thrones" board game which is awsome but they all suggested this game since i seem to love strategy games.

I got 2 parts to the post...1 part is just a general question about "slag" or acronyms used in this forum or throughout civ forums. and the other part is just a question regarding types of vicories and what i noticed after 1 full game...

If you have a couple of minutes I appreciate any info .. thanks :)

Part 1: WTH are all these acronyms? and please post any others I might see.

DoW, BFF, CS quests, CV, HoW... etc

Part 2: I played 1 full game with all the DLC's on (from Civ 5 gold) but without the GK DLC. I played on level 3 (easy) with 4 civ's and 8 city states. I played as Japan since i heard they were good for begginners since their inherent strenth is pretty OP (attacking at full even if damaged). I won by domination ...

What would be considered to be a fun or common victory to go for? I won by taking all the civ's off the board. I noticed that if you are planing to go for domination victory then it lends itself to also go for science and many cities...just seems like those to vicotries synergize well..

Cultural vitory: I found a post with a mathematical equation and chart (seemed lagic) basically saying that the sweet spot for cultural victory is 3-4 cities...I'll try and find the chart again and post it. This also does NOT lend itself to any other type of victory so I guess going for cultural you probably have to have it set in your mind before turn 1.

Diplomatic victory: Don't really know much other then its apparently tough on civ 5 because the AI is aggressive and if you attack pretty much anyone you'll get a bad rep from city states. Also this is probably expensive to maintain since it cost about 1k gold to get them on your side...

And i hear the point based victory sucks and gets really no respect on these boards..true?...lol

thanks everyone

Declaration of War
Best friend forever, term used by schoolgirls irl and patronized on the internet
e.g. Anglo-American diplomacy in a nutshell:
England: Be my BFF America?
America: whatevs
England: Yay!

CV culture vic
VC victory condition
CS quest: Citizens of Venice want you to destroy a barb camp
HoW ??? HoF maybe? Hall of Fame, idk what it is
GE great engineer
GA golden age or great artist or great admiral but probs not admiral coz they are mostly useless
GS scientist etc...

Dow = "Declaration of war"; CS = "City State(s)". I don't know all the ones you posted, but some others you might encounter are: DOF(Declaration of Friendship); UU(Unique Unit); UA(Unique Ability); VC(Victory Condition).

I probably don't know all of them, though.

About the victory conditions, it may just depend more on your taste than anything else, but someone might have a good suggestion for you. I personally don't even play mainly to win.

But, anyway, welcome to Civ, and to Civfanatics, and happy Civing!

Edit: Woops, someone beat me to it. :lol:

Declaration of War
Best friend forever, term used by schoolgirls irl and patronized on the internet
e.g. Anglo-American diplomacy in a nutshell:
England: Be my BFF America?
America: whatevs
England: Yay!

You left out:
50 turns later: England is no longer BFF with America.

Hi, Im 100% new to the civ francise and the only really started playing strategy games the last few months..been playing a weekly 6 player game of "game of thrones" board game which is awsome but they all suggested this game since i seem to love strategy games.

I got 2 parts to the post...1 part is just a general question about "slag" or acronyms used in this forum or throughout civ forums. and the other part is just a question regarding types of vicories and what i noticed after 1 full game...

If you have a couple of minutes I appreciate any info .. thanks :)

Part 1: WTH are all these acronyms? and please post any others I might see.

DoW, BFF, CS quests, CV, HoW... etc

Part 2: I played 1 full game with all the DLC's on (from Civ 5 gold) but without the GK DLC. I played on level 3 (easy) with 4 civ's and 8 city states. I played as Japan since i heard they were good for begginners since their inherent strenth is pretty OP (attacking at full even if damaged). I won by domination ...

What would be considered to be a fun or common victory to go for? I won by taking all the civ's off the board. I noticed that if you are planing to go for domination victory then it lends itself to also go for science and many cities...just seems like those to vicotries synergize well..

Cultural vitory: I found a post with a mathematical equation and chart (seemed lagic) basically saying that the sweet spot for cultural victory is 3-4 cities...I'll try and find the chart again and post it. This also does NOT lend itself to any other type of victory so I guess going for cultural you probably have to have it set in your mind before turn 1.

Diplomatic victory: Don't really know much other then its apparently tough on civ 5 because the AI is aggressive and if you attack pretty much anyone you'll get a bad rep from city states. Also this is probably expensive to maintain since it cost about 1k gold to get them on your side...

And i hear the point based victory sucks and gets really no respect on these boards..true?...lol

thanks everyone

Since they already got to the abbreviations (which I don't usually use anyway), I'll just go for part 2.

My attitude toward Civ V has been "never play the same game twice". So for me, the fun comes in trying something different each time. Every victory type has its own strategy and its own fun. The way Civ V is designed, though, domination is the fastest and possibly most satisfying win. It's also the one I'm least likely to aim for.

For a cultural victory, you need to keep your cities limited, but you can spread out if you're willing to increase culture production with things like opera houses. 4 cities is best, but I've done it with good sized empires just by producing a lot of culture. Also, puppet cities don't count for the policy costs...you can have as many puppet cities as you want as long as your people are happy, and you'll still get good culture. Just don't annex them.

For science, it's the other way around. Build a lot of cities and lots of science buildings.

Diplomacy victory depends on whether you're using Gods and Kings or not. If you're playing without Gods and Kings, just get a strong economy, and near the end of the game, start buying off the city states with massive gifts. Then build the UN and wait for your victory. If you're using Gods and Kings, it's a bit easier, except for coups. You can do a lot more to influence city states. Still, the use of gold gifts is so important for a diplomatic victory that some people have suggested it be called economic victory instead.

Every Civ will have certain victories that they are good with. India and culture, for instance, or Babylon and science.

Top Bottom