New Trade Route System

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by kingchris20, Mar 23, 2013.

1. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

And the road-related trade route connection to the capital does not appear to have changed.

2. _ViKinG_

_ViKinG_ BERSERKER

i want to know if i can have 4 trade routes in one city? if i only got one coastal city early in the game i will need all 4 trading ships to use in that city. Do we only get 4 trading ships? 6 or 8 ships would be mutch better.

3. SMA333M

SMA333M Warlord

Galactic Civilization + Total War + Call to Power II. :)

It will be great. And even more important: the wars will be really interesting, having to protect your trade routes too.

4. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Emperor

This is a question I would like to know too. It has made me think about the city modifiers for gold (and production). Will the international trade incomes (gold, production and food) affected by the city modifiers? I know that having a market would increase the income by 2 but was that a plain addition or from the modifiers (or maybe you would have both)?
    As for now i think the modifiers will not affect the int. trade income, because that would give too much income...

5. micbucci

micbucci Chieftain

I would love to have the ability to send or receive nukes via the trade route system. Currently on Civ V you can only give units as gifts but you cannot sell them. I would like to see that changed. I would also like the option of having the ability to sell/gift nuclear weapons as I think this should at least be optionable in the advanced setup.

6. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

The game would take like 45 hours to finish.

7. Fummy

Fummy Chieftain

So they got rid of the gold in river-tiles, and gold in coastal water tiles, right? They said that you will be able to make up for this by making actual trade routes from these places to earn money, sounds good so far. But when I think about it, what is the advantage of rivers now? I get that being by the ocean allows you to make ocean trade routes, but being by a river would make no difference.

So whats the point of rivers now? Other than to be an obstacle. How do rivers help trade?

8. Kennan

Kennan Chieftain

Rivers are still good but a river start won't be OP as in G&K and Vanilla.
    You still get:
    Watermill
    Earlier +1 on farms
    Build farms on hills
    Hydro plant
    Bonus from some beliefs

9. Avatan

Avatan Warlord

Ok i can't find the quote right now, but I remember reading that roads helped you have longer inland trade routes. Maybe roads are not counted in the 10 hexes? Or just half?

So I suspect that it will be similar with rivers, which would make sense and be useful for early international trading because 10 hexes is really not a lot.

10. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

I suspect being adjacent to a river will just add another bonus to the trade-route calculation.

The thing that has me concerned is that I don't share the assumption that you'll be able to have lucrative trade routes just because you can build a caravan. I mean, the Huns and Assyria may not care about exchanging trade routes with you.

11. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

I think that's the biggest open question: whether you are limited to one trade route per city. I don't see any reason why there should be a limitation per city; you're already limited as to the total number of trade routes, so I don't see any reason why having more than one per city would be a problem.

And another good reason to keep friendly relations with some civilizations.

Since rivers should be key to trade, I hope they will include some benefit in the new trade route system from rivers. But I haven't seen anything about this, and it's not obvious how such as mechanism might work.

I haven't seen any mention of the impact of roads on trade routes. Roads didn't even appear to significantly increase the speed of the Caravan in the PAX demo.

12. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

The best analogy for trade units that we have right now is air units, since you can only control them in cities. If it follows that pattern then you should be able to have multiple trade routes operating out of one city. The difference between trade units and air units is that trade units have a manifestation on the map as they move to their destination over the course of several turns.

13. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

Right, the only thing that I can think of that would restrict trade routes to one per city would be if multiple trade units can't stack in the same city; allowing it would require a UI similar to Air units.

Here's hoping they allow stacking of Air, Trade AND Civilian units!