1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] New TSL Map?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by humble serf, Jan 2, 2019.

?

What will the new TSL map be in Gathering Storm?

Poll closed Feb 13, 2019.
  1. The Mediterranean and the Middle East

18 vote(s)
    26.9%
  2. Just the Mediterranean

4 vote(s)
    6.0%
  3. Just the Middle East

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Africa

7 vote(s)
    10.4%
  5. The Americas

4 vote(s)
    6.0%
  6. Other

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  7. There will be multiple new TSL maps

10 vote(s)
    14.9%
  8. There won't be one

11 vote(s)
    16.4%
  9. Who cares about TSL?

10 vote(s)
    14.9%
  1. Bechhold

Bechhold King

Just give us Huge TSL/Earth Maps.

2. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

I love mods. There are a lot of games I wouldn't want to play without mods. But that doesn't mean I think it's okay for the developers to just expect their incompetence can be covered up with mods. I also think a game ought to at least be minimally functional for those who choose not to use mods. Civ6 meets those requirements; no Bethesda game since Morrowind has. (And I do in fact use hundreds of mods in Morrowind...but unlike Oblivion and Skyrim, I could play Morrowind without them.)

Morrowind would be a better example: seventeen years later it still has a very active modding community. I know some people liked it, but Skyrim lost its charm about thirty minutes in and no amount of mods can fix its appalling writing and utter lack of story. :sad: Though FO4 was bearing the brunt of my displeasure: because of the "community building" element there are very few proper settlements in the game (though FO4 easily takes the prize for Bethesda's worst game, and I thought Skyrim would be hard to beat on that front). I increasingly think Morrowind was either a fluke or a unique set of circumstances, but either way I've stopped expecting even mediocre games from Bethesda. I am, however, enjoying that they're finally getting the bad press they've deserved for years...

And then split the money between Valve and Bethesda so the modder hardly gets a penny of it! :p

TahamiTsunami, Ondolindë and Ziad like this.
  3. Patine

Patine Deity

The mods now used for Civ2 down in that game's forum make that iteration of Civ now the absolute best one if you want to completely rebuild the game by restructuring it's entire tech tree, units, improvements and WoW (you can't change what improvements and Wonders there, as yet, but you can rename them, give them different icons, and change what techs give them), change all the graphics, change the computer text, and the mods increase the number of unit slots and allow bigger maps and unlimited cities and units. The seven civ+barbarians limit is STILL an issue, though. But, mods for numerous historical situations, with full slates of historically-appropriate units, tech, improvements, and Wonders, and changed terrain and renamed civ's (because all civ's are generic) to the context, and even scenarios like colonizing Mars, and building in space, and rebuilding after a nuclear apocalypse, and fantasy world scenarios, and scenarios from popular science-fiction and fantasy franchises. Civ2 has a very different allure as a civ iteration, even a more eminent and "aging" one among them, for very different reasons than it's latter-day fellows. But, practically all the best mods, and the heyday of such modding, practically began AFTER MicroProse, the original company Sid Meier was a member of before founding Firaxis, and whom the was publisher and producer (with Sid Meier as the developer) of Civ1, Civ2, Colonization, Pirates!, and Railroad Tycoon, had already gone belly-up as a corporate entity.

TahamiTsunami and Zaarin like this.
  4. Left Field

Left Field Chieftain

We need an Antipodean map. A big one so New Zealand is large enough to want to colonize.

5. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

I've wanted to colonize New Zealand before, but it's always swarming with barbarians and there's usually a city-state there (even if TSL is off ergo no default Auckland).

6. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

It would be an absolute nightmare starting from scratch. But there is more than enough online help to make it a relative pleasure.
    Even I could find simple bugs in Ynamp and fix the random number glitch giving no nearby luxuries when starting after creation (or reconfig) of Terra maps. :p