new unit: Bard (18 sep. 2011)

ruby_sauce

Outside the box
unit is game tested

The bard, from The Bard's tale for PS2

previews:

NOTE: these are at better speeds ingame!
(default - fidget - default - fortify - attack A - attack B - victory - fortify - attack B - death - run)

this unit is based on the bard from the bard's tale, a game for the ps2. I liked the game, and recently found it again so I felt like I needed to make this unit :)

the only thing thats kinda weird now is because the fortify animation is 20 frames, it doesnt complete when attacking. Does anyone know a fix for this or is it just doomed to work like that due to how civ works? I think the latter, wich is why I released the unit already anyway.

In the fortify and victory he plays his magical lute to summon a beast to aid him in battle, just like in the game. I chose a panther for this because it isnt in the game, and I felt like coming up with something else. Also I think panthers are cool animals.

also, like always, sounds included! I made custom sounds for almost all the animations this time. I pretty much had to :)

hope you like it as much as I do! Enjoy!

download HERE

Last edited:
Fallout has a bunch of units with very long fortify animations and those all play correctly. I believe C3C messes up the fortify when in debug mode. But they play fine when in a normal game. I had same prob a while back, but IIRC it was because of debug mode.

Oh! I had the same issue with several units, I'm glad to see it's a debug issue.

really nice unit but the attck could me more feroceous, i think, like a jumpt and a hit from above on the enemy...also the death animation seems a little weird...make him a clasiical fall like other historical units around here, my opinion....:thumbsup:

Neat Unit ruby_sauce... I like the Added Special Effects and Panther :cool:

Concerning Fortify Flcs... they do affect Units if too long, Especially sounds. If a Fortify flc is long, keep the Attack short or you can make a short Fortify then add the long Fortify as AttackA then add the Normal Attack as AttackB.
In general it is best to keep the Fortify Flcs short...I usually try for 10 frames. This allows the longer Attack Flc to play well with sounds.

If a Unit uses several Attacks (A, B, C) then each Attack needs to be kept short (as if one very long Attack or two medium Attacks in length) or problems will be experienced in playback and sounds.

Just a Tip: To make the Death Animations easier to do, I add a Ball prop then parent the unit Hip to it...then parent that Ball to the Rotate Ball. Both the Ball and Rotate Ball are set as invisible. This allows the unit to be rotated and moved with the Ball as it falls to the ground then final adjustments are added using the unit body. You can have the unit fly up in the air, flip and fall or anything you like much easier using this method.
...this Ball can also be used for the Unit to make difficult Attack movements.
...If you have multiple objects or units you can use more Balls and name them according to the unit or object each is used for.

Just a Tip: To make the Death Animations easier to do, I add a Ball prop then parent the unit Hip to it...then parent that Ball to the Rotate Ball. Both the Ball and Rotate Ball are set as invisible. This allows the unit to be rotated and moved with the Ball as it falls to the ground then final adjustments are added using the unit body. You can have the unit fly up in the air, flip and fall or anything you like much easier using this method.
...this Ball can also be used for the Unit to make difficult Attack movements.
...If you have multiple objects or units you can use more Balls and name them according to the unit or object each is used for.

Why not just use the hip part as you're using the new ball prop ? It would the same, especially if you're (first) positioning the model with the Body part instead of the hip.

Why not just use the hip part as you're using the new ball prop ? It would the same, especially if you're (first) positioning the model with the Body part instead of the hip.
Because moving the entire unit in many ways smoothly is easier using the ball...especially if a High Resolution Model is used. This keeps the Unit as it is while moving it as you want...then the unit itself is adjusted for any final details.

Fallout has a bunch of units with very long fortify animations and those all play correctly. I believe C3C messes up the fortify when in debug mode. But they play fine when in a normal game. I had same prob a while back, but IIRC it was because of debug mode.

But awesome unit! Really well done!

how exactly do I play the game in normal mode then? or how can I set my map to normal mode?

how exactly do I play the game in normal mode then? or how can I set my map to normal mode?

in the scenario properties window of the editor, under the line for scenario search folders, there is a box that you check for when you want the scenario in debug mode, just make sure its unchecked to play normaly.

cool unit, I like it, :goodjob:

the first thing I thought when I saw the sommon was "I choose you Pikachu!" :mischief:

ruby_sauce... Umm, it is probably NOT Debug mode causing any issues. Unless you set your game up in Debug Mode.
Check and then Read what I said in Post #7 above :)

yea I already made the animations like this. Its not that big of a deal, he still starts with the whole summoning, he will just suddenly carry a sword after.. I really dont feel like redoing the attack and stuff >_>

:cooool: They remind me of Celtic stuff somehow… :mischief:

That's a very unusual and interesting unit, extremely cool, as usual when it's a ruby_sauce creation :thumbsup:

Bard's Tale... that brings back happy childhood memories of the MS-DOS game :old:

Great replacement for good old bard! :) Ruby, thank you for the top quality, new & interesting units!
If it's possible to make a request, I'd request a conquistador - to replace a C3C original unit - it's a mounted unit attacking with the spear & there's a dog instead of panther. :) You can base conquistador on the one made by mr Sandris, I think he may give his permission.

Top Bottom