1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

new unit: helghast (feb 22, 2008)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Unit Graphics' started by ruby_sauce, Feb 22, 2008.

1. ruby_sauce

ruby_sauce Outside the box

A Helghast, from the ps2 game Killzone

unit is game tested

NOTE:UPDATED. Updated the civ pics and the attack and victory sounds. Thank you very much, Vuldacon

previews, off course:

and as always: (default - fortify - attack (x2) - victory - fortify - attack - death)(its slower than in-game)

ENJOY

download HERE

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  2. ruby_sauce

why isn't anyone commenting? is it that bad?

3. Underpaid

Underpaid Multi units...

No, it's probably because from 9 AM - 7 PM, people are at work.

It's a nice unit. He uses an interesting gun.

4. DragonBird

DragonBird King

Yes, its that bad.

No, just kidding ;), Looks like it would be a SWAT or STAR guy.
    Very cool...

5. Micaelus

Micaelus aspiring scholar

Your animations seem to continue to improve! Good work. I haven't figured out the sound delay bit myself yet...

6. cubsfan6506

cubsfan6506 Got u

Very nice unit.

7. ruby_sauce

but there were like 100 views O_o. thats why I wondered :p

8. AncientOne

AncientOne Johnny Juwarra

It's bit too uniformly dark.. at least for my taste.. yet, as i can't make units of my own, i cannot be too critical too :p
    And yes, gun has definately interesting design

9. Samez

Samez ION GUNNER

Hmm by the total black colour you loose many details on civ size.. ntl a nice unit

10. The Tuna Bomber

The Tuna Bomber Shocking Beyond Belief

Looks a little dark... what is his weapon? But its good anyway

11. ruby_sauce

his weapon is supposed to be the helghast assault rifle from killzone:

Warning: large image
    Spoiler :

12. Vuldacon

Vuldacon Dedicated to Excellence Supporter

ruby_sauce... Over All, this is a Nice Unit. It is on the Dark side and without Textures.
    The animations are quite good and the only thing I think would be better is the Death Fall...it is a little stiff and slow... the Default animation would be better by using more frames and or make the moves slower and move both directions rather than stopping and then abruptly moving the one direction.

The units_32 needs to have the Game units_32 palette loaded and the CIV Specific colors correct. It is in 16 million colors.
    The Large and Small pcx files can be rendered in Poser for better results and make a new palette.

Concerning Sounds: More to it than I can type here but I will try to shed some light on it.

Your animations have a different amount of time than the sounds you are using. The Attack is .975 of a second and the Sound is .601 of a second.
    There are 15 frames in the Attack. Frames 1, 2, 4, 5, 7 and 9 shoot. All other Frames do not. (Note, I recommend you use just one Frame for each shot rather than two in a row such as 1 & 2 and 4 & 5, also makes better Flashes if single frames...I also recommend not starting the Shot on the First Frame unless it is a machine gun that plays the same frames for the animation...the first frame can skip when the animation starts or may not seen.)
    Count the Frames in the animation for each action starting with the first frame. Multiply each frame by the Flc Speed (add a 0 in front of the Flc Speed) and in this case the Attack Flc Speed was set to 65 so this is .065 for each Frame. This means Frames 1=0 to .065, 2=.065 to .130 and this is the length of the First two attack Frames where the Unit shoots. Then skip 3= .130 to .195 no shot, Now add Frames 4 and 5. Starting the sound for Frame 4= .195 to .260 and from frame 5= .260 to .325. Skip Frame 6= .325 to .390 no shot and then start the sound on frame 7= .390 to .455, Skip frame 8= .455 to .520 no shot and start the sound on frame 9= .520 to .585

Note that each Frame plays .065 of a second so the frames where the unit shoots will last .065 each. You can have an echo and even overlap the sound bytes but the initial "Blast" starts at the beginning of the frame where the unit shoots. (The Marine uses very short sound bytes for the shots and each one is far too short for your unit shots because you used 2 frames in two places as well as each frame plays longer for your single shots than the Marine animation plays...the Marine shots are run together where yours are separate) You must at least match the Number of Frames and Flc Speed with another Unit that has the same figures. Not only this but the frames where the actions take place is important to have the sound byte placed where it needs to be to match the frame where it happens. Sounds are many sound bytes combined and mixed, etc... so the, generally, 1 second sounds we have for units are actually many different sound bytes all put together with timing for the animation actions.

IF you do not have a Good sound Program, you can at least generate storyboards of existing Game Units and look where the actions take place. You can then animate your Unit where the action with take place on the same frame and be sure to use the same number of frames and Flc Speed. You can then Use the sounds for the existing unit for your New Unit.

Looking at your .ini file, I saw that you just used one foot sound from the Paratrooper for the Run. You can simply link the "ParatrooperRun.amb" file in the .ini. (Note that you should use flc speed 66 for the Death, Run and Victory animations rather than 65 in this case because you want to match the existing units for their sounds ...it matters. :)

I have made adjustments and corrections for your unit and will send them to you so you can pick it all apart to understand everything I mentioned above.

As far as sounds go, yes there is more to them than most know or want
    to believe but we can keep it as simple as possible by handling units in a manner that will allow existing unit sounds to work well with them...otherwise get a good sound program and learn it as you have Poser and other programs.
    "themanuneed" works with sound and is a Professional willing to help people with sounds they want.

...Hope this explains some aspects of why the sounds are not playing as you would prefer.

13. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Administrator

Looks another really nice unit. You're powering your way through your early ones in a very promising way!

That always happens; remember there are many, many lurkers who never post. Most downloads are done by lurkers rather than regular posters.

14. T-mun

T-mun King Numa

I confirm what Vulda said, I'm "willing and able" to help :) although I'm pretty slow because of my work... anyway don't be afraid to ask.

15. PredatorFett

PredatorFett steam user

I like this game better than halo. Hell, I can't stand Halo.

Halo = HELLAOverrated

16. HunterAnubis

HunterAnubis Warlord

I cant stand Halos overshield otherwise its not that bad.
    Altho I like killzone more. Anyonway to the unit. seems bit to dark to me afterall they werent wearing black but something like gray and I cant forget on those evil orange mask eyes.
    Only thing that I would change would be colour and attack anim to crouch it looks better if yo uask me but those are my personal opinions

17. flamescreen

flamescreen Ancient Mariner