new unit: king slime (feb 19, 2008)

ruby_sauce

Outside the box
UPDATE: DOWNLOAD IS BACK. CIV COLORS FIXED!
UPDATE FEB 20: FLC's IMPROVED! the entire download is now replaced
ALSO: UNIT_32 FILE FIXED by Vuldacon. Thank you very much, Vuldacon!

from dragon quest 8, the little slimes who merge into a bigger one

unit is game tested

oh well, the previews, there are 2 different civilopedia pics:

(default - fidget - fortify - attackB - attackA - victory - fortify - attackA - death)

slimes are supposed to be blue, so I didn't make them civ colored. the civ colored item in the king version is the crown.

I again mixed some civ 3 original units sound to make some.

well, ENJOY

download HERE

Last edited:
The colours may be getting messed up because the units 32 palette doesn't have as many blues as your Slime King pallete.

As use can see there are probably a few colours not used in your units 32 palette, add some of the blues you need to the units_32 palette and you will get better results.

BTW, looking good!!!

you are right, I added a few blues to the civ 3 units 32 file over some seemingly double colors, and it looks alot better now. thanx.

that is a sweet unit.

That looks a lot of fun. You're definitely making some interesting units.

If you want a unit to have blue colour and also civ colour, it is much, much more sensible to use some other colour as civ colour (say red), rather than try to handle different shades of blue at the same time. You can export storyboards and palettes from Flicster with different colours in the columns that are normally occupied by civ-blue, such as red instead.

That looks a lot of fun. You're definitely making some interesting units.

If you want a unit to have blue colour and also civ colour, it is much, much more sensible to use some other colour as civ colour (say red), rather than try to handle different shades of blue at the same time. You can export storyboards and palettes from Flicster with different colours in the columns that are normally occupied by civ-blue, such as red instead.

I tried, but I don't really know how to do this... can someone help me with this?

Basically, what you do is:

(1) Render a unit in the normal way, but with red for where you want civ colour to be.
(2) Open a unit in Flicster.
(3) Export it as a storyboard, but first, look for the Palette option in the Export tab and choose CivColor1.
(4) Open up pEdit, and open an image or storyboard from your new renders, together with the palette that you just created in Flicster.
(5) Edit the palette in the usual way, except that this time you treat red as you normally treat blue - ie, don't put any more red colours into the palette. And if there are blue areas on your unit, treat them as normal colours - ie click on them to put them in the palette.
(6) Continue as normal. The palette has red colours in the civ-coloured section where normally it is blue, so any red in your unit will be coloured using those indices, which means it will appear civ-coloured. Meanwhile, any blue in your unit will simply be blue.

If you want your unit to have red and blue and a different civ colour, then you can choose one of the other colours in Flicster, such as green or yellow.

Note that you also need to export storyboards with red as the civ colour to make the units_32.pcx properly. The reason for this is that the units_32.pcx has red in the civ-coloured slots, not blue, so your icon should also have red in the civ-coloured slots if it's to appear properly in-game. Vuldacon made a tutorial about this.

Another Fun Unit ruby_sauce:goodjob:
I recommend you use a different color than Red or Blue for the CIV Specific Color when Rendering this Unit such as Yellow or Green because the Red CIV Specific Color will blend in with the Magenta background and your Unit. This will cause you many problems making the Unit Palette due to those Reds matching the variety of Magenta Smoke, Shadow and Fog Shades on the game Palette. This is from Anti-aliasing when rendering against the magenta background and even though there are techniques to get around this, they are more time consuming. I recommend never using Red as the CIV Specific Color with Renders for this reason but as Plotinus stated, you can easily change the Final CIV Specific Colored area to any of the Game Palettes you like before generating the Final Flc.

Use a Mid Range CIV Specific color from the Game Palette for the color you want to use...the same range as you would if using Blue. (Note that you can generate any game CIV Color palette by opening a Flc in Flicster and selecting the color palette you want then generating a storyboard...the palettes will be generated with the storyboard...you can then open either palette in your graphics program to view the actual colors for the CIV Specific Color you want) Then because the CIV Specific Color will differ so much from both the Blue unit color and the various Reds that match the Shadows and Smoke shades, you will be able to edit them out much easier without problems for shadows, etc..

..Hope this makes sense:)

yeah, figured about the civ palette thing. I will just follow utah's tutorial with his spearman again. the thing is, the crown from Bjornlo is quite complex, and it makes rendering take ages. I did some rendering with red now, and it turns out I need green >_<. oh well, at least the 5 little slime rendering with the crown deleted goed very fast :). guess you should wait a little longer, as I also need to use the computer to do some stuff for school ...

ruby_sauce... It's Not that you Need Green or another color other than Red... You can Use Red, it is just more difficult to deal with the Palette with Red CIV Specific Colors.
I understand that the Renders take a while...several things influence this as I am sure you know but all part of the "Fun" of making animations :) Take your time and "Enjoy the Ride".
...IF you have the Unit Rendered again already with Red as the CIV Specific Color, you might try making a palette. You may be able to do that faster than Rendering all again with another color but that depends on what you understand about palette work.

EDIT: nvm, I will just render it again. I will render the small slimes apart, so that it goes faster :)

unit is fixed and works perfectly in-game, IMO.

thank you Pounder, Plotinus, Navydawg and Vuldacon for helping me fix my unit :)

Top Bottom