1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Unit: Macedonian Elephant (July 31, 2006)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Unit Graphics' started by utahjazz7, Jul 31, 2006.

1. utahjazz7

utahjazz7 Chieftain

Well, I really didn't think that I'd get to finish this before the end of July. But, I had a bit more time this weekend than I thought I would. So, I decided to finish this unit off. It's my first elephant, and I'm pretty happy with it. The death animation was pretty tough, and I'm not entirely happy with it. Unfortunately, it has a bit of the just fall over look to it. Oh well.

Anyway, I hope you all like it.

Download.

2. odintheking

odintheking Lighting the way...

FIRST POST! Sweet, man! Enter it in the competition, :bounce:.

3. Stormrage

Stormrage Ever Present Taskmaster

... :wow:

Just keep dropping them bombs, don`t ya? :goodjob:

4. Red Door

Red Door Man of Mayhem

It's pretty amazinginly good.

5. Goldflash

Goldflash Grumpy Old Man

I say you need to try again with the death animation. It is.. pretty bad. Reminds me of Civ Army's "Units". Yeah, that terrible death animation ruins the enitre unit, which other wise is very good.

6. Stormrage

Stormrage Ever Present Taskmaster

Unfortunately, Bebro`s knights have that kind of animation :sad:

7. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

This unit is fantastic... might come of use for HTS, but I´m not gonna post on that because I´m on holiday!!!!

8. Orthanc

Orthanc Shipwright

There's definately been plenty worse animations put out there, could use some work, but the other animations look pretty good. The wooden castle on this thing's back is pretty fun.:D

9. BadKharma

BadKharma Chieftain

I have to agree there are many worse ones available. Very interesting unit I bet it was a challange trying to animate an elephant.

10. bigdog5994

bigdog5994 Lady Day

Theres no little people in it :(

but wonderful elephant probably the the best ive seen since the firaxis one :goodjob:

11. Grandraem

Grandraem Alchemist

The elephant looks fantastic, and the ear-flapping adds lots of character.:)
    Well animated.:goodjob: The death isn't that bad when you think of how quickly it plays before the unit disappears anyways. As mentioned, there has been many far worse. I wouldn't say that it ruins the unit. Also, taking a second, better look, it is actually nicely timed. The animation starts slower with the lifted leg, then picks up pace as it falls. It may not be a thoroughly believably fall for an elephant, but it is nicely timed as it is.

12. DragonBird

DragonBird Chieftain

WOW!!! ... what to say... what to say... WOW!!!

Looks like it could be used as a upgrade for a carthage elephant, but still

WOW!!!

13. NavyDawg

NavyDawg Audentes Fortuna Iuvat

This unit is absolutely incredible. I think the death looks fine too. I've never seen a battle elephant die, but I assume it would involve falling over.

14. Antiochus VII

Antiochus VII Basileus

This Elephant is awesome - I have new residents for the barracks of Antioch! For the death though (if you ever redo it) I'd suggest having the Elephant twist more, like in the Firaxis War Elephant death flc. Ideally the tower would shatter too (the part hitting the ground at least), but thats probably a lot to ask! :)

15. aaglo

aaglo Furioso!

That's hu-uuu-ge :)

And there's nothing wrong in the death. Except maybe the castle should break apart a bit... but maybe it's made of good strong wood :)

16. W.i.n.t.e.r

W.i.n.t.e.r Frozen!

Great looking stuff, Utah- and nicely animated! :king:

Despite the virgin sun emblem I'll be using this for Carthage- its an African Elefant after all :) hoping and dreaming for more antique units of this quality level :goodjob:

17. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Administrator

That's really nice, and I especially like the animations in the first preview (Fidget, Attack and so on - not sure which is which, but they look really smooth and lifelike). I think the death is actually probably OK - how many options do you have with an elephant, after all? I'm not totally convinced by the Run. Somehow, I don't think elephants move their legs like that. However, this is based purely on an initial impression, and I could be completely wrong. Good work in general though, and I really like the look of the armour.

18. utahjazz7

utahjazz7 Chieftain

Thanks for all of the nice words, everyone. I'm glad that the death animation isn't as bad for everyone as it is for Goldflash. While animating the unit, I tried to recreate the Firaxis War Elephant animations are best I could. But, with the armor props and elephant model that I was using, it wasn't always possible. Like Antiochus VII pointed out, the elephant twists more in the Firaxis unit than I could make mine do.

@Plotinus: I had a hard time doing a run animation. I actually did it once, and then had to redo it. I tried to mimic the War Elephant movements as best I could, and I think that the leg movements are pretty close between the two.

Well, anyway, I'm really glad that the unit has gotten a nice, large response from the community so quickly. Thanks for posting. :)

19. Mithadan

Mithadan Wandering Woodsman

This unit is frickin' awesome! (I guess my only complaint would not be with the death, but with the big African ears.) I hope the Haradrim end up using this graphic!

20. Ares de Borg

Ares de Borg Norman Knight

OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!

Great unit!